Soft Parts Halo 4 & 5 Spartan Undersuit Parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vrogy

I'm working with rensole117 over in the Netherlands to produce a set of highly accurate parts to aid in building a Halo 4 spartan undersuit.

He's doing 3D modeling on this project, I'll be 3D printing and molding parts. References are https://www.flickr.com/photos/vrogy/17863683618/

Here's our progress so far:
17989030796_caf6cf4184_z.jpgHalo 4 Spartan Undersuit Upper Spine by Michael Vroegop, on Flickr

17392896124_28e1e2deec_z.jpgHalo 4 Spartan Undersuit Upper Spine by Michael Vroegop, on Flickr

18052344781_a521c4c080_z.jpgHalo 4 Spartan Undersuit Main Spine by Michael Vroegop, on Flickr

I'll be providing feedback as work continues, like so:
18024987876_af7ba73f95_z.jpgHalo 4 Spartan Undersuit Main Spine- Feedback no. 1 by Michael Vroegop, on Flickr

Re: Halo 4 Spartan Undersuit Parts

Will you also be making the pieces with the hexagon pattern on them?

Will you also be making the pieces with the hexagon pattern on them?
I've seen several methods to make that work that I'd like to try. I don't think anyone has solved all of these issues, yet-

Requirements:
-indented hexagon mesh or raised hexagonal lattice/array
These imply methods of manufacture, heat indentation of the mesh or possibly surface lamination of hexagons. I think the indentation method yields a slightly better result, as surface tension tends to slightly dome each hexagon.
-paintable
Both to add the color to patches, and the subtle shaded digital rectilinear grid.
-semi-gloss
There's reflectivity visible at raised edges of the undersuit, but for the most part its shade seems constant.
-stretchy
If the suit is built by laminating spandex, open-celled foam, and textured foam / detail parts, the outer layer will need to stretch substantially to allow a full range of motion.
-breathable(!)
Some ventilation is absolutely necessary, with all these insulating materials in the suit's composition.

The actual hex-mesh parts' size and shape will vary from person to person- I don't see a point to making available pre-made pieces of a certain scale and shape- it's bound to not fit a majority of people.

Those are all definitely things I've had on my mind as well.
Well... not all of them, but most of them.
I've been trying to come up with multiple approaches to find what could be best.
For my custom build I've decided on going with Heat-Stamped (recessed hexagons) 5mm foam panels, attached to one another by thin elastic bands, with the panels all velcrod to fabric underneath.

It may not be the best approach, but it should be cheap and the details will be effective, it'll all be semi-flexible, and having about a 2mm gap between each panel should leave it so that it is still slightly breathable, though it could obviously be better.

One extra concern I have that you didn't mention is that I would like to be able to wash the compression clothing that is my bottom layer because I'm sure it'll get smelly after a while. While washing it, I want to take everything else off so that none of the undersuit armor pieces get damaged in the wash... not sure if they would, but it's a precaution I want to take.

I'm not far enough into my build to start putting the undersuit together, but I have done a material study with heat stamping the foam (pics in my build thread, link in my sig).
It definitely works, but I would like it if my stamp was larger and had deeper recesses.
I have 2 models I put together in SolidWorks to eventually print, but alas I don't have the means to currently. If you want to try it out though, I could send them to you.
I think I currently have the dimensions set at:
Recess depth = 0.075"
Hexagon width = 0.42"
Honecomb wall thickness = .25*(Hexagon width)

I would make the under suit closest to your body with light weight 4way stretch sport material. It can be interesting to sew. I did it with my under-suit. I have not added the foam pieces to it yet. Those will be added via Velcro. The thing with washing any of it is that the velcro, make sure you have the fuzzy side of the velcro on the clothing part of the suit. Otherwise when you wash it, the hooks will snag onto everything, and clog themselves up, so they do not hold as well. They will also tear up any delicate fabrics that you might have, such as that lovely 4 way stretch fabric.

If you need help making your clothing pattern, I might be able to give some advice, and such.

I'm not planning to use much Velcro. Base layer will be a trimmed morphsuit. Lots of Barge holding things together, it's been impressive in material tests.
Got this in earlier.
18187548018_e0971ceb6b.jpg18189198419_9283fa3ea9.jpg

Started drawing up some of the undersuit on my own, too-
Kneecaps here:
18185653468_9c9e5e880b.jpg18375168931_e1f91fa687.jpg

18348341636_33bb77a6fe.jpg18377053741_5897661519.jpg

That looks really nice

Revisions and rebuilds continue with the flood arm. Going between two different references probably doesn't help.
NOT FINAL.
18419972592_99b4900f03.jpgUntitled by Michael Vroegop, on Flickr

Added flanges to the knees.

18427390211_2bce2a4e7a.jpg17803086504_213b3cec17.jpg

18238227308_1ab281050f_z.jpg

All the work you have done so far looks amazing! That flood arm is very menacing! I personally like your model better than the reference you are using. Your model reminds me of a shark.

Where did you obtain that hexagon pattern?!?

Also, props on having a ruler with 32nds/64ths.
If it has 10ths/100ths on the otherside it's like mine! :)

Hex - amazon. Ruler- nah. It's just something we had at the machine shop. If we need to spec something sub-eyeball range we go to calipers, micrometers.

more greebles.
18782069435_068ed1019e_c.jpg

Joost is about done with the arm. Final pass, should be printing next weekend? We'll have to do some weird stuff to get it prepped as a negative- several flanged sections bolted together, an armature inside. Pour will be low-temp monster clay, possibly in a few pieces.

18517384059_bcffd423fa_c.jpg

I have an idea for the undersuit on my Halo 4 patchwork MJOLNIR GEN2 budget speed build:
What if I took a hexagonal patterned mesh and spraypainted over it onto craft foam to get the desired look? It wouldn't have the proper texture, but with the size of the suit I'm making texture isn't a variable I'm taking into account.

I have an idea for the undersuit on my Halo 4 patchwork MJOLNIR GEN2 budget speed build:
What if I took a hexagonal patterned mesh and spraypainted over it onto craft foam to get the desired look? It wouldn't have the proper texture, but with the size of the suit I'm making texture isn't a variable I'm taking into account.

I would expect the result to equal the effort you put into that.

While throwing random search terms into google last night I came across this - http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=155364&page=7&p=2681341&viewfull=1#post2681341 - I'll try it soon. Basically, puffy paint stenciled onto stretch vinyl, hit with a heat gun to shrink the vinyl.

I started on the shoulders. This needs some tweaking.
18341664104_92a76d7c5d_c.jpgundersuit_greeble_shoulder_wip1 by Michael Vroegop, on Flickr

Shin fronts are about good to go.
18341666804_eda85498cf_c.jpgshingreeble_wip2 by Michael Vroegop, on Flickr

More work's getting done, should be printing these up very soon -
buckles, side of the thigh
18847522238_1eb2342f88_z.jpg
elbow, lower and upper
18422155373_24400c23a1_z.jpg
lower spine
18420582944_2f327312d7_z.jpg
Everything done so far. Should have the arm sculpt to throw in here tomorrow.
19046059611_3e390b862f_o.png

Are you planning on eventually doing all of the light green pieces?

Are you planning on eventually doing all of the light green pieces?

They'll get done, but I think they're parts that will need to be re-shaped to fit different spartans' body sizes. Maybe a 'general guide' set of patterns. Getting into that this weekend.

Here's some of the printed parts-

19317787396_bc9cd21929_b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back