what is better to start with foam or pepakura

Status
Not open for further replies.

SASxHEADSH0Txp

hi i am fairly new to making costumes. but i have not made one by scratch and people i have spoke to says pepakura is better, but i have seen people achieve the same detailing with eva foam. what is a good starting point. sorry if this is i did not have to make a new thread.

I started with foam, I've tried the pepakura method, it takes allot more precision and patience, foam lets you make mistakes and also doesn't require the use of harmful fumes and whatnot. and it's a it flexible so you have a bit more movement in your costume. The best part about foam is that you can use pepakura files with foam, you just need to work around with the file a bit.

The pepakura fibreglass method is more durable in the long run, but foam is easier to work with, so start with foam

I too started with foam. It can take much more of a beating before it needs to be replaced/ repaired, but remember ALWAYS use a sharp knife it will make your final product look much better. Helmets are easier in my opinion to do in pepakura though

Instead of foam you can always use cardboard on the foam areas, or some areas where you want to provides strong support structure, I think its a bit cheaper and easier to work with in my opinion.

Be sure to check the links at the bottom of my signature.
I have a supplies guide for foam.
Check it out and be sure to check out the Help for Foam thread if you have questions.
I have several links at the bottom of the supply guide that should serve as invaluable pieces of information, there arr tutorials, videos, and a few foam builds by various individuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back