NEW MEMBER, old fan. Starting a project for my wife in preparation for my full E.O.D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reclaimer One

So here I am! after years of watching and waiting I am finally posting and doing! It's an exciting time for me and I have the support (and time) I always needed!

-mission:
make some sexy minimalistic armor pieces for my smoking hot wife, helmet optional but reach recon preferred

-ordinance:
Silhouette Cameo cutting machine with 12x24 inch cutting space
touchscreen Asus laptop
printer/fax/copier
xbox one/360 (for inspiration)

-skillset:
highly detail oriented
extremely patient
perfectionist
good with texturing
love research

-timeline:
Halloween or RTX depending on how smoothly this all goes

live in Killeen (born and raised in Austin TX) in the city so home depot lowes and Walmart are all close

-funding:
trying to keep it as skimpy as the armor

so hit me up or msg me add me on facebook friend me on xbl im down to get down!

Re: NEW MEMBER, old fan. Starting a project for my wife in preparation for my full E.

I have decided on the mk 5 chestpiece but all the pepakura files are in ruins. I went to the acrchive and met a bunch of dead ends and malware.

Re: NEW MEMBER, old fan. Starting a project for my wife in preparation for my full E.

After spending a day sifting and sorting and AVOIDING malware I have stumbled upon a reddit thread posted by halogoddess with a dump of safe pep files that she had in conjunction with crimson. proved to be verrry helpful in making decisions on variants. also found some ambitious weapon designs. downloaded the files and now im just waiting to get the cardstock.

p.s. I downloaded blender from the getting started thread on 3-d modiling so if I find something that's original I can unfold it in pep and be one of the cool kids one day.
It's really overly complicated though. :(

this is the chest I'm starting with

attachment.php

sm_album.png

Hey Reclaimer, have you started using the cameo yet? I've been a long time fan of halo and these awesome costumes for a while and trying to sit down long enough to build my son one for Halloween as practice and maybe more detail for a local con. I did pep a halo helmet but once I added resin it tilted a bit. I've been really trying to make a decision if buying the cameo solely for this is worth it I know it saves times but $300 is alot just to cut paper that you may have to keep resizing. anyhow look forward to keeping track on a newer member as its get daunting reading these senior members incredible builds.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm also with you on the pep files everywhere you look sends you to 405th but alot of the files are dead links I imagine its hard to keep them up to date but its pretty disheartening to finally get ready to build and find the files you'd hope to use that others have threads on are no longer available.

I was able to use B1 file viewer to extract some files and import them to silhouette studio. The pdo files must be converted into another format that can be read by silhouette. pepviewer will do this but only one page until the keycode is purchased. I will be purchasing the designer. I don't think the Cameo is worth purchasing solely to cut pep. We have a home business and use our Cameo exclusively for this. As for the obtaining of PDO files there is no advice I can give you except that you may be missing a link to the sites NEW database! Check the File Archive tab between marketplace and blob at the top of the page. If THOSE links are bad your sol unless you download 4shared (not recommended) and go through it like rambo and investigate the **** out of every random halo pdo link and trace them back to their owners profile albums. This is not recommended bc it is extremely perilous! 4 shared is a friggn nightmare and I have refreshed my computer TWICE since I have begun the witch hunt.

P.S. I am interested in sending precut peps in the mail to customers to help them overcome most of the boundaries of getting into this hobby.
I'm lucky I got a brand new laptop bc this laptop would not have survived the last 36 hours.

So after a long day of being a geeky nerd (downloaded reach vanity armory) I am chill'n on the couch just being a nerd. Reminiscing about Reach'round Fridays when more than 1,000 people were playing this game at a time and our crew was looking to wreck your face. I'm taking a close look at the under armor/armour and imagining how I will simulate gel/crystalline extra musculature layer that makes this platform so deadly...protective... precise.
I have an electric ceramic heat press that I was wondering how to incorporate into my build. Now I know that I can use it in detailing the neoprene sponge I have decided to use. Also, it would be a damn shame if I didn't use an armor ability after seeing how bright green the LED's will have to be for sprint!

Just digging my grave deeper.

Made some progress in deciding Sarah's (wife) helmet and even got some nice bracers picked out!
Screenshot (6).png Screenshot (19).png
we both were watching pep how too's and I saw an ALTERNATIVE to bondo (toxic) called Smooth-Cast casting resin (nontoxic)! Big deal for me bc I live in Texas and **** gets hot as **** down here and it would be nice for Sarah to be able to work with it too since she is sensitive to volatile chemicals. Also I would like to get my kids into it this summer and cant be worried about them while we try to have fun... I have three. and the two dogs... and turtle.

Good choice with the smooth-cast. I use it all the time. It's nice not having to worry about fumes all the time. Good luck on the build!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today I bought pep viewer for the cameo! It took me like 30 min to find where to enter the key code (help). I was really excited to start cutting and even stalled to make sure I had everything ready.
I scaled and exported to silhouette as a DXF file and was ready to go!

**** me.

This is a picture of failure!
Screenshot (23).png

**** a registration mark! (throws Cameo out window)
Go make a Cameo at the dump you friggen decepticon SCUM!

In reality I found out that we don't need registration marks for what we are doing. The truth is that pep is waaay more simple than the capabilities of this machine.
After shooting my Cameo with a 40 I had some time to sit down and do some research on what the hell was wrong with what I was doing right. I came across a vid from our very own 405th and the halo music soothed me and when my eyeballs popped back into my sockets, I could see the 405th logo. It was like watching echo 419 land with a warthog!
(Starbase 101) This guys a pimp too!
(Spartan_127)
I love you mike. My silhouette mistercheff.

So we said F-it and started cutting. cut only the blue mountain fold FML. we will be trying tomorrow until I have a Halo 3 frag in my hand so I can fill it with gunpowder and shove it inside my Cameo.
I DARE you guys to make it through that vid.
just have it going in the backround.
challenge.

Screenshot (23).png

Last edited by a moderator:

Its been a long day
DSCN2347.JPG

You forgot to include the pin..... ohoh :)

So today we got into pepping right away. The blade may be dull but I only needed to cut it once! I used a 8 setting on the blade but told the program to cut with 9.

Screenshot (25).png

I'm using a line/dot/dash system to interpret to the user (me) if the fold is a valley, mountain or cut.
Screenshot (26).png

I decided on this system as it makes the whole process simple in production by bypassing the printer AND the silhouettes complicated registration field... detector.
my robot has an eye.
To accomplish this, I had to get rid of the registration field after importing the files. DO NOT CLICK AND DRAG FILES TO GET THEM INTO SILHOUETTE
If you do this you will be unable to weld the design and remove the registration field. Go into the studio and file/open/desired folder from the studio.

The next steps are as boring and uninteresting as what you just read, sorry bout that.

But I CAN HAZ HALO CE ANNIVERSARY GRENADE!
DSCN2365.JPG

DSCN2370.JPG
this unfold was done by Garland and was not simple.

I chose this for its difficult design and potential functionality. I had to use locktight gel $2.30 (get a case of this) because the design was intricate and stress was applied to the last, for the next tabbing. It makes no reservation for the lever and must be added at the users innovation. I see this as a strength as a pin and spring can be added easily! It's nice to have but a real pain to assemble. Thank you Garland for this welcomed lesson in you-glue-this-to-that! exactly what I wanted.
Tomorrow Will be the construction of the legendary mammary protection device! Maybe a grenade launcher round.

looking good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back