HELP plasti dip

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't cover up massive seams that well but tiny ones it seems to work ok. Try filling them with elmers glue and maybe some scrapings from an extra foam sheet. Also sand to make it smooth. Also if it doesnt always lay down extremely smooth so expect to see a little texture when you spray it.

Like BPipkin, it doesn't fill large seams, but it does sort of cover the smaller ones, though the more layers you spray the better it covers them up, just don't spray too many layers it does start to build up after a few

Use multiple coats. It's great stuff, and it is rubber, so multiple coats can fill a hole, but USE HOT GLUE AS YOUR PRIMARY ADHESIVE. I recommend a surebonder multitemp gun($15-30 on amazon). Also, depending on your age you may or may not be allowed to purchase aerosols at a local Ace or Home Depot. But try it for sure. And definitely let it dry..

No, you really do not need Plasti Dip to surface your foam. Use a good primer paint that is made for PLASTIC. Rustoleum has a one. So does Krylon. Use it. Then use any paint you wish after that. When you look at the spray primer or paint it will say "For Plastic".

You can use Kwick Set caulk to fill seams. Sand them down first, before you go and add the calk due to the caulk is not sandable. Also you can use contact cement to glue things together. It takes a little longer, but produces a much nicer seam.

thanks alot i have one more question how many cans should i by for on full set of armor

Well that's a tricky question, I guess it would depend on how much you spray per piece, but so far I've emptied about 6 cans and I've still got more to spray, so it could take close to 10 or more cans for me to finish mine. You may or may not need that many, but then again, you just might. I would just buy them as you need them, and maybe buy a few cans to start you off

Unwanted gaps in foam can be taken care of easily in one of two ways (I am sure there are more, but I will cover the two I use). The first is to start of by having clean cuts, and making sure that the parts align before gluing together. For gluing, I use several methods... all depending on what I am doing. Yes, hot glue is a common adhesive, but I have found myself using it less and less. It still has its uses, but I mainly rely on Barge Cement and superglue. I use the superglue for small applications and to seam very small gaps. I use the Barge Cement for almost everything else. The stuff is amazing, and until I tried it myself, I never thought it could do what it does. Contact cement is okay, but over time it will harden and become brittle. Barge stays rubbery forever (which is what you want). If you have done the first step and made sure the cuts are clean and align, when you carefully glue them together, there should be no seam at all.
However, if you do get a seam, the other method is to use a PAINTABLE latex caulk to fill the gap. If it is large, don't try to fill it all at once, but fill it with several applications. Using a wetted finger to smooth the caulking really cleans it up. As Ashuraa stated, it is not sandable, so you want to make sure the surface is smooth before it dries. Try to use as little water as possible, and don't let it "pool" up. You can lightly dab it with toilet paper if you get it too wet.

As far as Plasti-dip goes, it will depend on how much you prep your foam. I always spray a couple of very light coats of polyurethane on my foam before using Plasti-dip. It requires WAY less Plasti-dip this way, as the foam is sealed and does not soak it up. I also live by the rule of only putting on a thin coat of Plasti-dip. If your surface is prepared properly, it really will not take much. For my Master Chief build, I believe I have used around 4 cans, and will need about 1 more can to finish it (it is 95% done).

I hope this info helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back