A heartfelt recomendation from a Newb, and a hello

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exalted

Hey everyone! Exalted speaking. I've been lurking around for awhile. I absolutely love this forum, I love some of the people here (You guys are just absolutely phenomenal).
On/off for the last year (Finances keep getting in the way!) I've been working on the Halo 3 version of the Mjolnir MK. VI.

I kept telling myself I'd make a post when I finally had something I could contribute... Something I'd learned that I could share back with the community.
Sadly, I kept putting it off. (I know! Bad me!)

However. I can sit silent no longer. I know this should be a pretty obvious thing, and I'm sure you guys have said it a thousand times.

For your own freakin' sanity... Build. Size. Testers.
I kept getting overly excited, and I SWEAR I had the size right... So I'd jump into the HD version.........and...guess what? :p
Wrong size.

Fortunately, I've learned from my mistakes! And I even got around to posting! So.... HELLO FROM PORTLAND, OR!
:D

I'm living in W-Ville myself! :D
Yeah, I'm building using Pep, then hardened with resin and rondo.
I've gotten a couple pieces in the past "finished". But I've never been real happy with their quality... I rushed them, and it really shows.
I'll see about getting some pictures up soon. My phone's dead, and it's the only camera I've got. (Which...I guess is likely common these days.)

Welcome to the 405th, Exalted, to a costuming community where practically (if not all) members are phenomenal and awesome individuals who are willing to lend you some help or tips and tricks! :D
Hey, if you need some help with scaling, check out HaloGoddess' tutorial on scaling: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=31627
Also, if you need a file unfolded, let me know and I'll see what I can do for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
ha! If you see a geek on a segway thats me :lol

Are you using west system or some other brand? Up the I5 is TAP plastics and a boat store
TAP's epoxy is cheaper then west marine.

Thanks, UX. For scaling HaloGoddess's tutorial is, I believe, an absolute must read. I keep it bookmarked :p

@Peter: I'll keep an eye out! I'm checking out your build now, and it looks awesome. I dig that you're building Donut's armor. I'd love to get together at some point (since we're apparently not far from each other) and check out your armor. I've never seen 3D printed armor before, and I'm seriously curious.
As for brand...atm I'm just using bondo resin, and body filler. The last batch I picked up at Wal-Mart, since it happened to be on sale. I haven't checked out TAP Plastics...didn't even occur to me, honestly.

TAP is one of those places Like FRYS and JoAnns and goodwill that is a costumers dream .
They have good section of mylar you can use for slivering helmets and they also do cuts of stuff like ABS and polycarb.
In fact they carry carbon fiber! on a roll! . It;s too bad CF is a Pain to work with ..

If you want bondo filler I have a gallon jug here Ill never use ! .

Peter..

TAP sounds amazing. I just learned about the wonder of JoAnns last week as I was gathering vinyl for my Mjolnir neckseal (Shout-out to Bluerealm for the template). Fry's of course is amazing if you have any interest in anything electronic.
I would very happily take that Bondo off your hands! I'm actually getting close to running out, heh.

and now...more generally... I don't have a bunch, or really great pictures (Something I might try and rectify in the days to come, as I try and make sure I stay active...and don't revert to Lurk-mode) But...
I present... My prototype Mjolnir Mk. VI Helmet.
20150528_200020.jpg
20150528_200216.jpg
20150528_200152.jpg
I built it, and a few other pieces...rather quickly. I got part of the way through building things, and decided to try and rush it for the X-Box One launch. This ended up meaning the quality isn't anywhere near as good as I'd like. Most of the pieces (The forearms especially) are horrendously warped.
The cheeks have actual lights, however they were cheap dollar store purchases...so sadly, all but one died shortly after I installed them. I haven't bothered fixing them, since my intention has been to build a new helmet and I'd kind of like to leave this one as-is for posterity.
The helmet, as the other parts, was build in cardstock from pepakura files most generously provided by this site. (Thank you all) It was then reinforced with several thin coats of resin, and then hardened with (Too many) coats of Rondo (A mixture of Resin, and Body Filler). I'm serious...I...uh...'accidentally' filled the entire brim with Rondo. It was not a brilliant move on my part. One word: HEAVY.
The visor is a motorcycle replacement visor I got off amazon, and installed using epoxy putty.

Sadly, I was nowhere near the realm of close to finished for the launch. So I decided to cheat! I have a motorcycle pressure suit I got for the armor, that's intended to go under the chest piece. I threw that on, tossed a big baggy X-Box shirt on...threw on the gloves, forearms, and helmet (The only pieces I'd gotten 'finished') and wore those to the midnight launch at the microsoft store downtown! Even though I was far from a fully suited spartan, the reaction I got was pretty amazing. (Little kids with their faces pressed against the glass staring at me, lots of people stopped and asked for pictures, SO many high fives)
I figure, if people were that excited to see what I had... Imagine...if I WAS a fully suited Spartan. ;D

This isn't a great picture, nor is the new arm finished... but here's a side-by-side of the new forearm I'm building (Robot Chicken's Ultra-Detail MK VI) next to my old forearm. (I can't remember who did the pep files for the old forearms, I'm sorry! >.<)
20150521_163000.jpg

Sorry if I'm getting a little TL;DR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back