Greetings! Could I trouble you for some advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pizzaguy

First, Hello!!!! My name is Jade. I'm the general manager for a local Papa John's Pizza here in South Carolina, and I am a complete geek! I've always wanted to start building props of my favorite Comics/Games. This, I believe is my first step so here it goes :)

Ok, some background first: so I've wanted to build armor for a long time. In fact, I attempted papakura once, and had to stop when I realized that it was too small after completing the helmet. My plan is to make Halo 4 (Mark VI) Armor. I'm wanting to do this right so here are some of my more important questions;

1)I'm wanting to use foam, so are there special templates I need to use
2)How can I accurately scale the templates to my size so I don't waste a lot of time building things that won't fit me
3)What kind of foam should I use (thickness, pliability)

I really appreciate whatever assistance you will give me. I am very excited to be here, and look forward to sharing my journey through this with you all! Thanks again!!

Welcome to the forum, this place is definitely a good starting point, theres all kinds of interesting ideas floating around and there are tons of helpful people here too.

As for the templates for foam, there are a few people, including myself, who have made foam files in pepakura, and there are many of the files posted in threads throughout the site, though you can actually use regular pep files for foam as well, you just have to remove all the tabs and ignore some of the tiny details at first

And as for the scaling and what types and thicknesses of foam to use, there are several threads dedicated to teaching you about all of these things, I don't have all the links for those threads but I will try to find some of them and edit this post as I find them, unless of course if anyone beats me to it

I can go ahead and tell you now that the type of foam to use is EVA foam or craft foam(usually called Foamies or something similar) you can find a really good pack of the thick Eva foam at WalMart in the sporting goods section, and craft stores like michaels, as well as WalMart, sell the thinner sheets of craft foam which are great for small details

Thank you for the reply! I apologize for not being faster in responding. Ill continue to browse for the files. I'm so stoked to begin the project. I'm aiming for this weekend (if work allows). As of tonight, I plan to browse for a good EVA supplier. Also, I was told that craft foam would be good to use for minor details. I need to research Plastisization because I really want the hard feel. I really hope that what I have in mind is possible. Ill keep posting my findings here. Thanks again!

If you want a genuinely rigid exterior, you'll need to coat it in epoxy resin. Smooth-On's Epsilon is the usual propmaking standard, though I think any pure, VOC-free "marine"-type epoxy would work the same. It'd be expensive either way though.

Plastidip is somewhat hard, but it's not truly rigid. More like a vinyl film that seals the thing up.

Well, after much research (and examination of my budget) I have decided to go the Pepukura Route. Its going to take much longer, but I think the end result will be much more satisfying. My next step is to become familiar with the scaling tutorials I've found here on 405th. I'm pretty nervous about starting without being 100% sure that what I make will fit me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back