Sealing and Hardening EVA Foam

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReclaimer

Hello 405th!

My name is Brandon, I'm new to this forum. Sorry if this topic has already been covered, still learning to navigate the forum.

I have looked into different ways to seal EVA Foam. I have tried using plasti-dip and a water/Elmer's glue mixture(multiple coats). These methods don't quite get a hard coating that I am looking for. The foam tends to bend and crack. Does anyone know of other options to seal/harden EVA?

Thanks in advance for the help! I look forward to learning and getting to you all.

Check for the Foam Supplies Guide in my signature.
Sealing and surfacing are 2 different things. Currently you are only sealing the foam.

There are several links at the bottom of the OP which might lead you to somewhere where you'll find more.
Also, don't forget to use the search tool.

One option to harden the foam is Envirotex pour on lite resin. It will make the surface very hard, smooth, and shinny. You can purchase it at Hobby Lobby.

The con to it is that in cold weather it will crack and shatter if stressed, or dropped.

To harden foam I use one or two layers of paper mache on the out side and then cover it all with fiberglass resin, the paper soaks up the resin and you get a pretty hard shell.With this method you loose a lot of details in the armor, so I only use it on super simple pieces.

Envirotex, I'll have to give that a try. I live in Florida, so the cold weather shouldn't be an issue. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back