Peterthethinker's Props for Donut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 3000 lumen energy sword and other toys for Donut.

This thread is amazing. Do want everything here. Do you store them all on a pegboard or just in the closet or what?

(this is a kinda stupid question, since im new to electronics) How do we *cut el strips

IMPO. EL tape is best bonded with sliver conductive epoxy unless you have pre made ends. a 34 USD tube will last a longggg time!
( also good for cold solder! and to bond to solar panels !)
BUT you can solder it If you have the right kinda EL tape. If you can get some GOOD flux and use Leaded low temp solder you are less likely to toast the substrate plastic.... Lead free uses much higher temps then lead based . just wash your hands afterwards..

most pros that do large scale installs like in a car or limo ect use a " system "that is made for a single brand. the ends are toothed and bite the tape.

http://www.ellumiglow.com/how-to-connect-parallel-el-tape

If you use solder or glue you are gonna have to peel open the EL tape to get to the 2 paths used as a bus conductor.

Pardon me I had a major durp moment.

When you said cut I assumed you mean like cut and splice.

are you asking me how do you type out EL tape and strips to make shapes?

Generally speaking it's a bit more difficult as you have the bond the top and bottom layers of the tape conductive paths to the power supply. You can power EL panels but one of the problems is that EL stuff is somewhat susceptible to oxidation and moisture. So cutting EL panel material without sealing the edges the EL shape may not last very long.

One of things you can do is seal the edges with epoxy or if you are bold enough you can always just laminate the finished product if the shapes are small enough clear packing tape should suffice. When you do cut be aware that if your blade's dull it may short the top and bottom layers out and therefore you will have no power across the panel

IMPO. EL tape is best bonded with sliver conductive epoxy unless you have pre made ends. a 34 USD tube will last a longggg time!
( also good for cold solder! and to bond to solar panels !)
BUT you can solder it If you have the right kinda EL tape. If you can get some GOOD flux and use Leaded low temp solder you are less likely to toast the substrate plastic.... Lead free uses much higher temps then lead based . just wash your hands afterwards..

most pros that do large scale installs like in a car or limo ect use a " system "that is made for a single brand. the ends are toothed and bite the tape.

http://www.ellumiglow.com/how-to-connect-parallel-el-tape

If you use solder or glue you are gonna have to peel open the EL tape to get to the 2 paths used as a bus conductor.

Pardon me I had a major durp moment.

When you said cut I assumed you mean like cut and splice.

are you asking me how do you type out EL tape and strips to make shapes?

Generally speaking it's a bit more difficult as you have the bond the top and bottom layers of the tape conductive paths to the power supply. You can power EL panels but one of the problems is that EL stuff is somewhat susceptible to oxidation and moisture. So cutting EL panel material without sealing the edges the EL shape may not last very long.

One of things you can do is seal the edges with epoxy or if you are bold enough you can always just laminate the finished product if the shapes are small enough clear packing tape should suffice. When you do cut be aware that if your blade's dull it may short the top and bottom layers out and therefore you will have no power across the panel
Thx that helped alot; btw, you are you going to be useing el wires for the energy sword?

Great Work. Love the Lightning acrylic site. Check out Neopixels. Programmable LEDs from. www.adafriut.com
I use them to light Polycarbonate blades. I use just 4 AA and last about 8 hrs.

th_10300971_1142633629084146_7142496241509832993_n_zps6gjkjzco.jpg

A little Teaser !
IMG_6043.jpg IMG_6042.JPG
Lets just say there is gonna be some low notes...
My inspiration if two fold. One is for bumping beats!
One is for the rocket sound byte .
Here is what got me thinking .
lincoln-with-a-ghetto-blaster.jpeg

More once it's not quiet hours .

Last edited by a moderator:

Via a few battles I manged to get a BoomCo needler.
With some spike upgrades and paint It looks a tad better.
22370880737_446f1cc0a1_b.jpg
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I re arranged the weapon rack to fit the new toys.

22370875957_61e459f75a_b.jpg 22800443851_ae91cb020d_b.jpg 22789237655_7e2386a848_b.jpg
Ive also wrapped up the Spnkr boombox.
Added a trigger for the phone so that it can pause and FF songs.
Too bad there is not Real life rocket races ;)
Peter D

Last edited by a moderator:

okay donut I think I found out where tucker got his sword look up man at arm's energy sword on youtube and pick your jaw off the floor after the vid.

Gotta catch them all! Or in my case. Gotta acquire them all.

Sniper is on the list. But Budget needs to rest.

Sniper is next on my to-make-list as well. My war room needs more weapons lol

Darn you goodwill and your evil tempting ways....
I really need to NOT go in that store any more....
AnyWhoo. I picked up another NERF blaster. for a few dollars. Its gonna be a sniper!
Let the Midnight build mayhem start..
I may cause a slipspace rupture in my wallet soon. :facepalm
22958109625_3340b0014d_c.jpg
My plan. use plastic core as a core for the back stock area to build it up and face it with HIPS sheet and glass.
Bondo as needed .
Barrel is carbon fiber rod from TAP plastics in the morning . It will be STIFF! and look cool !
BiPod.... gut my half busted cam tripod Ive got laying around,
Print the scope and muzzle thingy ( flash suppressor? )

I guess with all the NERF blasters I use and mod..
It makes me a NERFHerder ( Sorry for the pun , there was a disturbance in the force) ;)

Peter....

Star Wars puns are the BEST puns my friend. I've always wanted to get my hands on one of those & I'm looking forward to seeing what you have in store for it.

Ask and Ye shal get pics.
The glass is drying so I am in a holding pattern.
Here is the build so far.

22960941545_762bd8c0b2_c.jpg 22934920776_3a078aa732_c.jpg 22972080181_949012f97f_b.jpg

So I ended up on pink foam as a main filler then layers of foamboard.
Then a single glass wrap over the curves. Let cure and Then bondo.
Smooth then wrap in glass ... Il glass it 2 times to lock in the thing. Sand and paint .
Right now the first outer layer of glass is curing ....
The muzzle thingy is going on the bed of the printer in the morning.

22548617258_c2eb4347d4_c.jpg
parts are printing ..

some screen caps of the pending printed parts
Muzzle thing.jpg Scope thing.jpg Barrel thing.png
Muzzle, Scope modded to fit on a normal NERF rail! and the Bipod barrel joint.

EDIT here is the final paint job sans the printed parts

22551319748_c4407b9c5c_k.jpg

Peter

All done !

Not to shabby for a 24H build .
The magnets hold the BiPod well and it feels balanced !

23001293305_3f0e1be298_b.jpg 22987826812_eb922a4758_b.jpg 23001296245_2f09e760a3_b.jpg

Lets hope it survives the Convention tomorrow at EuCon.

Peter.

Pete, hope you don't mind me taking your fantastic idea and building my own Nerf Sniper Rifle :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back