New project, includes unclassified pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

EVAkura

In the midst of the massive Halo 4 Master Chief build (90% completed), I have started working on a project that has been in the planning stages for months. Now, I can't divulge all of the information about this project at this time, but I can release some unclassified photos that will whet your appetites hopefully :)

What I can say:

This will be totally wearable. It will include padding, lights, proper visor, and fans... However, this is really more of a display than anything else.

This started out as casts from Stony Props; the Forward unto Dawn Master Chief helmet. The visors are custom vacuum formed and double tinted (gold outside, silver inside) also from Stony Props.

The retail costs associated with this build is already nearing the $500 mark, with plenty more on the docket.

So, on to the photos of what I have so far.

The damage was created with a Dremel and a barrel rasp bit. After the initial damage was created, I took 120 grit sandpaper and smoothed out some of the gouges. Then, a first layer was added; a flat black primer.

SAM_2055_zpsze055oii.jpg
SAM_2056_zps4xvs3ai0.jpg

Then I added the second layer, gunmetal. This layer represents the material that the helmet would be "made of".

SAM_2089_zpsccpjcmgq.jpg
SAM_2087_zps6zne5wu1.jpg

Then, two other layers were added. The first is a light grey enamel. This layer represents the "primer" coat. The next layer is the "color". Since I can't show what color it is exactly, I have greyscaled the images. To accomplish these layers, I used hand lotion for each where I didn't want the paint to adhere. I have seen others use either toothpaste, or Vaseline. I chose the hand lotion because it is water soluble, and has no whitening agents or petroleum. The technique for any of those remains the same though.

SAM_2102_zpsx8tj88f3.jpg
SAM_2101_zpsijotl60u.jpg
SAM_2103_zpsoasrn0ou.jpg

These images do not show all of the damage to the helmet... trust me, there is a lot more!!! What is left to do on the paint is: Blackwash, some detail airbrushing, then the final, semi-gloss clear coat.

I am pretty excited to share with you all what this project is really about, but I must that in the dark until a later date.

I hope you have enjoyed what I was able to share at this point.

I've heard of people using mustard before...

It seems like you can use nearly anything lol.

Can't wait to see more!

Well, I let the cat out of the bag, so here it is as it currently stands. The helmets have both had their primary colors painted, but still need the detail work, blackwashing, and topcoats. The interior of the Blue helmet has been lined (and is blue of course!), and the Red will follow shortly. Both visors have been fitted, but still have a bit more securing needed (I like to make all of my visor installations removable). As you can see in the photos, the "VS." is done, and so are both pillars that the helmets set on. I am currently working on the baseplate, which is a whole project in itself. When finished, the whole display will be 32" L x 15" W x 14" high and will be encased to prevent dust and/or damage.

Damage to the Blue Helmet
SAM_2090.JPG

The "VS." by itself
SAM_2120.JPG

The two pillars and the "VS."
SAM_2122.JPG

And both helmets with their primary colors (the Red at this point just needed to have the paint wiped away from the damaged areas, which is done, but I have not photographed it yet)
SAM_2125.JPG

...from the other side :)
SAM_2126.JPG

Next update soon to come!

AHHHHH that is awesome EVAkura! You making it for someone? or just cause?? it looks great :)

Thanks bud! I am making this display to be sold. I know, right? Out of all of my props I have built, I am finally deciding to sell one! Right now, I am working on the actual enclosure case... sparing no expense on materials... and they are spendy! In fact, tomorrow, I need to exchange some handles I purchased today for some more expensive - and obviously WAY cooler ones :) I am not sure why I chose the cheaper ones, especially since I knew it would eat me up knowing that I was passing up the better looking ones... just because they were more expensive.

This will ultimately be sold as an exclusive item, being 1 of only 1, and will include some other nifty features that I will post once I have progressed a bit further. The money I get from this will continue to support my "habit", hoping enough will be made to purchase my first 3d printer, the parts needed for a vacuum forming machine (I already have the heating element and high powered vacuum assembly), and a resupply of materials I am getting short on.

Now, to get back to sanding.... something I am sure we all are very well versed in :D

I am continuing to paint the frame of the display case, received the plexi-glass for it as well, and also installed needles to add a bit o' bling :)

IMG_20150718_210209.jpg

IMG_20150718_172924.jpg

IMG_20150718_210144.jpg

I also completed the Blue's interior and weathering

IMG_20150718_162200.jpg

IMG_20150718_162228.jpg

And the Red's has been finished too

SAM_2133.JPG

So, here is the layout (pre finishing the Blue helmet, and installation of the needles). All of this will be encased using the wood from the pictures above.

SAM_2139.JPG

those look crazy smooth! fantastic job!

Thanks a bunch!!

EPIC UPDATE!

IMG_20150722_192112.jpg

This is a 2 minute video, showing just about everything

[video]https://youtu.be/9kTeOtopCvw[/video]

And a picture of the back (I forgot it in the video!)

IMG_20150722_192044.jpg

After a ton of driving around today, looking for the last few bits and pieces....ITS FINISHED!!!! This Halo Red vs. Blue display case features two wearable, completely finished inside and out helmets. The Forward unto Dawn helmet raw casts and vacuum formed, one way mirror tinted visors were created by the professionals at Stony Props. Each interior has been shaped with expanding foam to fill all the gaps, and skinned with craft foam to really clean up the interior look. Each helmet features unique and massive battle damage that was hand carved. The helmets were painted in five stages; first was a primer coat. Second, a gunmetal grey was applied to represent what the helmet is "made of". The third layer is a grey enamel, which would be the "primer" coat. Next is the helmet's color (red or blue). Lastly, each helmet received the blackwash and discoloring layer. Both helmets are held in place with their own pillar, each detailed similar to the "VS." and are made of EPS. The realistic "ground" was hand made, hand painted, and sealed using EPS, latex, and acrylic paint. It is embellished with .45, .223, and .762 spent casings, as well as custom made and translucent "needles" that were cast using SC220 epoxy resin. Each needle is wired with its own violet LED to illuminate, and there are three spares taped to the underside of the display, just in case. The case was constructed with cedar, Plexi-glass, and hex cap screws. The side Plexi-glass is 1/8" thick, and the top is a heftier 1/4". The handles used to remove the top Plexi are premium grade, stainless steel. The main light used to illuminate the case is a 15 LED strip light, powered by a 5v USB cord, which was embedded into a channel cut in the cedar to conceal it. The backing board has been painted matte black, and the backside has a custom "EVAkura ARMOR" logo painted, with a Red vs. Blue theme

The problem with mustard is that it can sometimes stain light color paint. I recommend using toothpaste, it does the same job & won't stain

exactly what I was thinking...you stole that idea out of my head lol XD

Yeah, I definitely agree with what NaasadTal just said.
If you are going for a white color or simply any other lighter shade, mustard should be avoided.
I think I suggested mustard to Vshore and he had a really hard time lessening the yellowing that occurred from the mustard on his white armor.

Best options for weathering:
1) toothepaste (basic)
2) ranch (basic)
3) hairspray (advanced)
4) oils (expert)

I've been looking into how gunpla (gundam kit) modelers paint theirbuilds recently, and I gotta say that I can't wait to try some of their techniques.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I definitely agree with what NaasadTal just said.
If you are going for a white color or simply any other lighter shade, mustard should be avoided.
I think I suggested mustard to Vshore and he had a really hard time lessening the yellowing that occurred from the mustard on his white armor.

Best options for weathering:
1) toothepaste (basic)
2) ranch (basic)
3) hairspray (advanced)
4) oils (expert)

I've been looking into how gunpla (gundam kit) modelers paint theirbuilds recently, and I gotta say that I can't wait to try some of their techniques.

You can use hairspray?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back