Making Clean cuts when cutting EVA foam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adexder

Hiya! I'm working with EVA Foam to make armor, and when I cut, the cuts I make are really unclean
Here's an example
Photo on 6-3-15 at 11.25 PM.jpg
They're really jagged and it's getting a bit annoying. How do I fix/cut cleaner?

Thanks in advance!

What are you using to cut? As Termhn said keep your tools sharp. You can invest in a pocket whetstone to sharpen your blades for cheap (less than 10$), if you want to preserve your blades without buying more.

Use either a sharpening stone every 6 to 12 inches of cut, or some other blade sharpening tool. A Butchers steel is also a good tool to strope the blade to keep it sharp.

Another option is to use a variable heat hot knife tool. It will slice through with a nice smooth edge as well. I got mine at Hobby Lobby for under $30.

I just started into foam armor building as well, and as others have said already, a sharp blade is very important. Also, I've found its important to not stop when making a cut. Every time I stop during a cut I get those jagged edges.

Though I would also like to know if there's any way to fix it

dtf said to use a new blade others a stone to sharpen it, me listen to others that have been down the road a few times.

What are you using to cut? As Termhn said keep your tools sharp. You can invest in a pocket whetstone to sharpen your blades for cheap (less than 10$), if you want to preserve your blades without buying more.
Ha, that's funny because I'm using a really dull pocketknife. I'll make sure to buy one.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Personally, I buy 100 packs of flat razor blades for about $10 at home depot, and just replace the blades every 10 cuts or so. A little on the spendy side, but it keeps my cuts smooth and my bevels perfect. For really tight corners or odd angles, I use a cheap metal-bodied utility knife with a fresh blade. You can see both styles that I described in this picture:

20140609_220948.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back