starting my Spartan 3 build

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMightySquig

I feel i have enough to make a thread now so I have finished the planning stage and have decided to make customisable mark 3 Spartan. ODST helmet and shoulders, standard chest gaunts and thighs and para shins. So far I have scaled and built a prototype ODST helmet. The reason its a prototype is that I was halfway through when i realised i had it on regular printer paper so would warp and collapse if i tried to fibreglass it but it has been useful to get an idea of how it goes together. My only question is I know that its recommended to use 175gsm (110lb) paper but I cant seem to find it however I have 160 already. will it be strong enough to withstand the glassing process? Thanks for your help guys here is a picture of the prototype . sorry for the poor quality its late and my camera is ****.
Snapshot_20150604_2_zpsxmdplji6.jpg

So after remaking the helmet out of card and then glassing it here i have my first step on the road to Spartanhood
Snapshot_20150627_zps8vyrjsxv.jpg
Snapshot_20150627_1_zpsvlhoq2un.jpg
and finally one for scaling
Snapshot_20150629_2_zpsjxqo5ue5.jpg

Looking good on the helmet, although it does look a little big . Might just be the pictures though. Sorry that no-one got back to you on your original question. 110lb cardstock can be found at most stores that sell office supplies, i.e. Staples, Office Max, and even Walmart. 160lb is a little more heavy duty, and hard on a printer, but will work just as fine. 65lb is more flimsy, but some people do use it. Keep up the good work =)

cheers shiznite
Im in the process of filling and sanding will hopefully post an update tomorrow. im almost happy with it then to start on the visor or armour not sure yet.

so I have the basic colour and armour components im starting with an odst Spartan build but it will be upgradable so i can interchange components and stuff. here is my design in vanity Vanity_owen%20spartan_zpsww6nvpbu.png my main question is whats the best to make an odst visor?

so the lid is at a point im happy with so chucked another coat of primer on it.Snapshot_20150707_zpsvg840ffo.jpg
also picked up a load of foam from halfords so will start on the armour tonight.
will hopefully have the components for the visor soon.
any feed back is more than welcome

so a bit of progress today need to do a bit more detailing and seal with pva then sand but the main building of the chest is done and im fairly happy with it. the lower arm straps are loose at the moment as im in the process of installing magnets helmet for size reference. will update once i have more built up.
Snapshot_20150807_zpsmlyqgvv4.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back