Humanity kickstarter launch (Halo fan film)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master Builder

Hello fellow 405th'ers.

We are very excited to announce that Halo Humanity, a live action/CG hybrid fan film, has just launched it's kickstarter! We are a very ambitious team working towards making the best Halo fan film possible! Please checkout the Kickstarter page for all the details and cool perks! Theres also a teaser! We appreciate all the support we can get and hope that you're as excited about this project as we are!

3Wuu87p.jpg

Re: Halo Humanity kickstarter launch (fan film)

if you plan on making money off this just drop the word halo from the title or big bad 343i and Microsoft will be all over you like a pack of wolves. now I'll just be getting back to killing hunters on reach.

if you plan on making money off this just drop the word halo from the title or big bad 343i and Microsoft will be all over you like a pack of wolves. now I'll just be getting back to killing hunters on reach.

We are already on very good terms with 343 and Microsoft. And we're not going to make money off of it, we're simply funding it so it could actually be created. Every dollar earned is going right into the project, period.

okay I'm just saying that because it seems like it is the frist thing people need to know about.

You can say 'Title: A Halo fan film". That's actually the specific wording they want from my communications with the 343i community team..

What they don't want is stuff along the lines of "Halo: Title" (Halo Legends, Halo Reach, Halo Faith...)

Seems like from the poster, "Halo: Humanity" is simply the informal title. It has the title correctly formatted.

Looks interesting, though $70k seems very ambitious, especially with $35 being the lowest level to get a digital download(!), unless you have someone super internet famous in your back pocket, of course. Nice to get AE and V-Ray donated though!

My personal opinion, as someone who's very interested in the theory of crowdfunding and has backed before:

I'd say you need a more "descriptive" video... Currently, there's no indication of exactly what people are pledging for except random animatics taken from Halo 4 and a general overview of the topic that the story's concerning. There's no proper breakdown of exactly what the money's going toward except "stuff that isn't 3D assets 'cause we already did them". I don't know if the actors are going to be actual local working actors or just people from your group of friends (of course if you work in entertainment there may be some overlap, I'm the same). I see no sets, no props, no sneak peeks at the 3D assets that you say you've already created, there isn't even a single 10-second scene shot to give an idea of what it'll look like. Right now it almost looks like you're just planning a really high-end machinima, if it weren't for the "live action" being drilled throughout.

I also don't see what you guys have done before, either crowdfunding-wise or filmmaking-wise? The Kickstarter account you're using says zero backed, which can be a mild warning sign- typically people who work in crowdfunding tend to support other projects similar to their own, which shows to backers that you're in it for the culture, not just trying to quickly cash in. I see no previous filmmaking experience, which makes that rough list of the stuff required to make a film slightly unnerving. How much is your HMUA going to cost per day, for how long? What are the specs of the PC you're planning on buying? Do you have quotes on local bulk caterers? What cameras are you planning on running, how are you gonna fly them? How many hard drives will you be buying? Do you have exec producers on board with their own funding? Etc etc etc, ad infinitum.

Even though the backers aren't legally investors, the psychological elements are similar, and the successful campaigns tend to have everything coordinate together, from prior experience to business plans. There are two main questions to answer: "Who are you and why should I give you my money?" and "Where will my money be going?"

Also, do you have a full-time crowdfunding manager? The successful campaigns tend to have one or two people literally dedicated full-time purely to marketing, responding to comments and manning the social media outlets.

Food for thought, anyway. While crowdfunding math says if you don't have about $25-40k already in within the next 5 days it's not gonna happen, I certainly wish you luck! :thumbsup

RobTC these are all very good questions that I hope to answer, but I'm not in the position to do so unfortunately. But I'll forward them onto someone who is.

As of now, I'm only acting as 3D artist for the project. But I'll do my best to get the correct answers out.

Also changed the title of the thread to clear up that matter, that was simply my mistake and no one else's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Robert J. Merritt
Yeah a lot of the questions we do intend to answer in another video, but ultimately time was limited and we did want to end up mentioning a lot more description in there but couldnt meet that deadline. But a video can be expected in the future. Unfortunately I cannot do much about the lack of projects we have done beforehand because this is the first kickstarter we have come to. 70,000 may be a bit high, but it is a realistic budget for the film when we added all of the numbers. We even cut it down significantly to what we could, but we feel any lower the film would have suffered quality, and the funds even could have suffered so we wouldnt have been able to keep our promises to our backers and to even be sure that the film is successful.

We do have proof that the project is supported by some big people, a good example is our sponsors, who also help with exposure of the film, not just providing assets. We did end up making a few mistakes with our Kickstarter that we realize now, but over the next month we plan to do whatever we can in our power to make sure it is clear what our goal is and what everything is going toward. As we definitely did not provide enough information on that. But the teaser trailer we made is all CGI, but for the full film we do plan on doing a Live Action CGI Hybrid

So ultimately we will be creating a video to explain the project in more detail here soon.

Visually everything in the teaser looks very clean. I was wondering though, will there be improvements on the animations? For ex. MC walking down the cat walk. I know its still early with every thing in the works. Not dissing at all, just curious. Really looking forward to seeing more of this! I really enjoyed it. Thanks guys, and God speed!

Robert J. Merritt

So ultimately we will be creating a video to explain the project in more detail here soon.

I can't disagree about the realism of the budget, but bear in mind most indie filmmakers struggle to raise $5k for their first big project. Unless you can say "look at all these amazing things we've done before!" - ie. have a Youtube channel full of badass 3-5 minute shorts, maybe one or two 25 minute things as well, no one can judge your ability to do it- which typically manifests as "they probably can't do it". Naturally I'm the first to admit that for an intelligent, well-researched person, the first project can go significantly better than the norm... But even so, would I be willing to bet $70k of other people's money on that? Probably not.

Obviously this being Kickstarter you can just say "well, if it doesn't fund, no one gets charged", but it doesn't work like that. Psychologically when funding, you have to budget out and say goodbye to that money, and if it doesn't fund, it's more like an unexpected "refund". You're asking 2000-5000 people to commit $15-35 of hard cash to something that appears inexperienced (putting out a ViDoc on their lack of expectation of standard filmmaking issues, while honest, may not have made the best impression), is completely unknown (is that writer guy any good? That's the most important part of the whole thing!), and has no apparent plan (run away!). I can't find that Youtube channel via two or three clicks through Facebook, which seems pretty odd... Is it being hidden? (Probably not, but I'm being "hypothetical potential pledger" here). Think of a crowdfunding campaign as a horrible job interview lasting 720 hours straight, with lots of unexpected questions, where you're up against 100 other candidates better qualified than you and you have to pretend to be enjoying the whole thing!

I understand unforeseen delays due to the new nature of the enterprise, I underestimated each stage of my BR build by 50%! But I also didn't ask for money to finish the project when I'd only just started building the grip, y'know? From an investment standpoint, it's just not an acceptable risk. If you had a couple of producers on board with actual projects under their belt, maybe an indie festival award (they're not really as exclusive as the olive wreaths make 'em look), a line producer (the second most critical person after the writer!) who can lay out every single thing you need to do point by point, budget it all out and has the experience of where the fat can be trimmed and where not, then it might be different.

You also only have low-four-figure views on those YouTube videos... If you need 2000-5000 people, you most likely need to have already been hitting a consistent 100-300k (minimum) views per video (across more than two) well prior to the KS launch. Speaking of Youtube, there's this "Halo Origins" Youtube, no idea what that is, then the HH website links to an entirely empty HH Youtube profile, and then in the video it's apparently going to launch on the "SnackRabbit Films" Youtube? That's an inconsistent message.

These are the impressions that the main team needs to be working around the clock to reverse across as many different outlets as possible. One said "Once the Kickstarter goes live, all we can do is cross our fingers," or something. Nope. That's when the real work and weeks of sleepless nights starts! Making a movie should be simple after running a Kickstarter campaign. ;)

Ok, I'm done criticising now. I know how much easier it is from this side of the screen than that side! Whether the team gets all this together for this campaign, or takes it into future funding rounds, I hope it's useful to see it "from the outside", as it were. Looking forward to the next video. :)

RobTC

Again, these are very good points you're making here. And we need this criticism otherwise we wouldn't know what viewer are thinking. Again, I unfortunately don't have the answers myself simply because I haven't been involved in anything other than CG and 3D printing part of this project so far. But I can tell you that a our team is working to fix the mistakes we've made launching the Kickstarter.

Heres a response to you post from our director
he makes some very good points, we are working on a video to cover a lot more ground on everything, and I will definitely take his criticism into consideration

So I hope most of your concerns are cleared in the next video. But please keep the criticism coming, it can only help us.

question if you get the funds for this are you going to put that bit from beko in it.

Sorry, but I don't get what you're saying here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, but I don't get what you're saying here.

I think he's referring to extended-canon storylines regarding the Master Chief in the audio series, Hunt the Truth. I won't spoil any plot details in case of any users having not listened in as of yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back