Props Energy Sword Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barroth

Jr Member
Would it be possible to have a multi use, deployable energy sword using technology similar to an airbag? If so, how long would it stay inflated and could it be used as a safe training style weapon?

The idea sounds good, but you would have to have a fan powerful enough to fill it up super quick to get the sword extension almost instant. oooo or maybe use an air tank?? You could probably rig it to a small compresses air tank and do it that way. But then you have to figure out how to make it come back lol. As far as getting it to stay inflated that would depend on how tight the seal is where the air enters. And its possible that it might be able to be used to train with. It would almost be like a toy inflatable hammer. If you do it then best of luck to you :)

As stated above, the way you seal the system would be one of the most important parts of the build, both for keeping the "blade" extended, as well as safety.

First off, airbags are able to deploy so quickly because they are not a sealed system... hence they don't pop when exposed to high pressure instantaneously, and why they don't say inflated for more than a few seconds.

Coming from a paintball background of about 15 years, I can't stress the dangers of compressed gas enough. Your best bet would be to probably use 1 or 2, 12 gram CO2 cylinders for your air source, but building a regulator small enough to fit in the handle, as well as precise enough to match the pressure rating of whatever fabric/plastic you use for the blade would be a challenge.

As well, you would be far more successful adding some sort of needle valve to the hilt to slowly release pressure into the system, then close it as soon as the blades are out.

If you do attempt something like this, and plan to use compressed gasses as your actuator, please please please seek out someone with previous air smithing experience before attempting to build it.

Rest easy FlyinPhil I wasn't planning on building one, I was asking if it was theoretically possible

Rest easy FlyinPhil I wasn't planning on building one, I was asking if it was theoretically possible

Ah no worries man. Theoretically, I think it's a pretty cool idea, it's just tough to know what the guy on the other side of the computer screen is going to do when you toss some tidbits ofpotentially dangerous information at him haha.

I've always tried to figure a way to design it the same way they have kids toy lightsabers. The ones were with a flick of the wrist the blade would be extended, thus you could do the energy sword flick and get the blades to extend. Then once you collapse it, the remaining bulk central piece could be pushed inside the handle and set on a spring system, which could be activated from the handle itself. So click, flick, stab lol. Same as the airbag though, this is all just in theory =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back