Armor Insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyrHerder

Member DIN
S013
Does anyone have advise on insuring your work? I was watching a panel at PAX Prime 2012, and the presenter mentioned that aspiring builders should insure their work in case it gets damaged beyond repair while driving, being shipped, worn around, or if it's lost in a home/auto incident. Does anyone know anything about this? Would this be a special policy, or just accounting for the value of the suit as part of your list of possessions?

Absolutely I would opt in for shipping insurance from FedEx or UPS any time I ship my armor.

Thanks for the help.

For instances where your products aren't being handled by you, such as shipping, I'd get insurance every time. There's nothing worse than receiving your product at the other end and seeing it's a broken mess. Somebody on the Facebook group had this problem recently, and it's heartbreaking to know that your work is destroyed without compensation.

For when you're handling your work yourself, it'd be a little more difficult.

I am also wondering how to deal with transport.
The 2 cons I work for Kumo and NewCon are local so its no biggie to just wear a suit to the con .. * donut takes the MAX in PDX LOLs *

I normally use pelican cases as my only suitcases for cons.
But armor does not lend it self to be squished in to a pelican case unlike spidy and batman ect . . I may just have find ICAO IATA case for it.........

( I wonder IF a transit case for a large drum might work for the torso.)

If lost or stolen . I dont know . perhaps Ill chat with my agent . I have my LLC insured and its Gear .
I know you can get allmost anything underwritten if you look hard enough . I used to make large Tesla coils .. ;)
Ill get back to you If I can find any thing on my end from my local Am-fam connection.
peter

Most likely. Insurance for your armor would fall under your home owners or renters insurance as a rider to your policy. As to sending your armor someplace you can get insurance on your packages through whoever you mail them with UPS so on so forth. Damage from a con. Again probably can fall under your home owners/renters insurance. Really the answer to that question is going to require a call to your insurance agent. In general you are probably looking at so many dollars per hundred dollars of coverage.

Okay got a few minutes to call my Father on this who a retired insurance agent. His explanation to me . If if you have Home Owners or Rental insurance. You costume is classified as one of your Possessions and is covered under that insurance. Depending on the wording of your insurance you would have to ask to be sure but it will also cover your costume while you are at a con say it if it is stolen or maliciously destroyed. Would Require the filing of a police report in both instances. it will not cover regular wear and tear damage taken because someone bumped into you by accident or you dropped a piece and broke it. If you only have general home Liability your armor is covered after your deductible as one of your possessions in the case of fire or destruction by natural causes or in the case of our insurance acts of terrorism. He said their is other types of insurance that can give you better coverage on things like our armor that is offered by different insurance groups but it can be fairly pricey and you will most likely have to have it appraised for value and condition video recorded so on so forth.

The stressed you have to talk to your agent about it and be very explicit on what conditions and make sure your agent shows you in the policy how it would be covered how if you have a deductible how it would it apply. A good chance that your deductible if you have one is going to be high enough that your going to eat the cost of your armor out of pocket before they kick in. But back to the point ask precise questions on it and have them show you in your policy where it is covered. As he put it to many insurance groups/agents like to play it a little to loose and fast to get the sale because they are commission based and getting the sale is how they get paid.

As to mailing your armor to a con. As he put it shipping/mailing insurance is a wonderful thing pay the dollars and get it. But he did stress before you mail it out take pictures of the condition of your armor make sure they are date stamped by your camera. And do this every time. it is your personal insurance to make sure the shipper does not try to come back and say that it was in that condition when you mailed it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back