Helmet/ Suit Cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

OT7OM4N

My Background + Problem
So I've done a few projects before such as an Iron Man suit from cardboard and a Boba Fett outfit from foam but each time my problem is getting too warm wearing them! I'm starting to build the Halo 4 Master Chief armour set and wanted to do it right this time. I'm making the helmet from fibre glass and the suit from EVA foam. I can already foresee myself overheating, especially since I'm planning to wear the suit for a prolonged period of time.

My Idea/Solution
My solution is to integrate fan to cool the costume. Currently I plan to have two 4cm fans in the helmet; one at the front under the visor extracting air (So the visor doesn't fog up) and a second at the back where Cortana's data port it located blowing air into the helmet (This second fan will probably have LED's to add a glow to the port.). The suit will have a larger fan at the back that extracts but not sure about this yet. I also need a method to control all of this, though I could settle for a simple switch.

My Question

Anyone with a bit more experience in suit cooling? I can't be the only one to try it!

One thing I would recommend is looking at the sound omitted by the fan. I've had some issues with the whirring of small laptop fans being so loud in the helmet that it is impossible to hear and pretty disorienting. A basic switch or button control mounted in an inconspicuous place would keep things simple.

PicAxe and some PWM. or in simple terms speed controller.

OR a hack. some fans have a themistor inn them
there is no reason you cant unsolder it and put in a pot that can be used to speed up the fan or not . most are 10kOHMS

Ahh a very good point about the sound. I've salvaged a larger fan from an old PC and tried it out in one of my helmets and its wayy too loud. I could have a disconnect-able tubing system and thus leave the fan in the suit. The issue would be finding a fan with enough power to suck through a long, thin flexitube. Anyone tried that before?

A themistor could be a good idea too, could save a lot of battery power. I'll bear that in mind when I eventually get to it!

Thanks guys, good ideas

I am currently at that stage with my helmet. I have it set up so there are power supplies in the torso. I would recommend getting a break away cable for the helmet to run into the torso. As far a a switch i fiberglassed in the neckline of the torso armor 4 small switches. 2 for the helmet electronics and two for the torso.

Sithslayer78, thats pretty cool though I'd be worried that in order to cool yourself properly you may need to make your wrist really cold (not speaking out of experience here). I wonder if the system can be improved by using this cooler to cool a fluid that you pump through some small tubes and distribute the cooling effect over a larger area. You could rig it into a chest piece and basically cool a larger area of your body. It wouldn't have to get as cold as mounting it on your wrist. Would also be lots easier to carry...

Just thinking out loud here... no idea if it even makes sense:)

Helmet and suit cooling is a hot topic (pardon the pun), and there are a heap of different methods being employed.
For cooling systems to incorporate, I've been looking at things like " SC-300T 12V DC ultra-quiet Water pump&pump tank for pc CPU Liquid Cooling System"
Specification:
Model: SC-300T
Flow: max300L / h
Head: max1.9 meters
Power Connector: Small 3P connector
Voltage: DC12V
Power: 4W
Water tank capacity: 150ml
Noise: 23DB
Dimensions: Length 66mm * wide 56mm * height 86mm (net size, excluding out of faucets, shock absorber)
Tap Diameter: 9.4 mm

I had a look for cpu cooling gear and this pump system looked pretty viable. It's one option of many and really boils down to what you are willing to get into the suit. The more experienced cosplayers have some amazing experience in this regard and all have their own preferences.

Cost, weight, size and practicality of use are constants that you need to keep at the top of your drawing board.

But what I've seen so far, you have a great amount of support here so take your pick and keep posting your travels to encourage others.

Some of the cosplayers locally have the facility in their costumes for cold packs to be put in, so they are away from direct contact with the skin so they don't burn themselves obviously (in summer here it exceeds 40C, and I have costumed in those kinds of temps!). Fans in the helmet helps, though I still get to a point where I have to take the helmet off for a breather. I also have fans mounted in the front of my suit, one angled to blow air sideways and the second up at my neck- that aids the helmet fans in keeping my head cool! Adequate venting in the helmet will also help, and you can get anti fog products to use on the inside of the visor- just check the suitability of the product, some arent suitable for certain plastics! Again, the local costumers have some stuff which works wonders, i just wish i could remember what it was called so i could buy some!

secondly, play it smart. Have a breathable undersuit, either using compression/ activewear made from materials designed to wick away the heat, or natural fibres (eg cotton) as they breathe much better than polyester fabrics. For ease of use, i use compression pants with a mesh material activewear long sleeved shirt- I can keep surprisingly cool in that, even in mid 30s C weather in a convention centre while covered in foam armour. I know some ODSTs and a Spartan who use cotton cargo pants and shirt. While a balaclava is convenient coz it covers your neck etc, its gonna be damn hot- maybe look at having a high necked shirt, or a separate neck covering piece of some sort rather than covering your entire head and trapping in the heat. Make sure you keep your liquids up and if you need a break, then take a break. Sometimes just a sit down, even in half the armour for 5- 10 mins while you have a cold drink and food can make the world of difference.

I have gone 8 hours in mid to high 30s C weather, and 13.5 hours in mid 20s C weather with the armour on (regular helmet off breaks!), so it is doable :)

Thanks for all your suggestions guys! Like I said before, I'm still a little way off actually installing any cooling system but it's defiantly something worth spending time thinking about! I had the idea of using a portable fish tank air pump to blow air through tubes in the helmet via a disconnect-able valve. Just a thought to keep the cost down!

I'll definitely be sure to check back in when I have more of an idea! Cheers guys

Not sure how well it would work with your suit, but when I wear my plate carrier for long periods of time in the heat I fill the camelback with ice water so my back is cooled off and I have a source of water. Maybe you could integrate a camelback into the back armor plate somehow then run the tube under something.

Not sure how well it would work with your suit, but when I wear my plate carrier for long periods of time in the heat I fill the camelback with ice water so my back is cooled off and I have a source of water. Maybe you could integrate a camelback into the back armor plate somehow then run the tube under something.

Ahh that's a really good idea, do you find there's enough room underneath the armour? I think I'd be able to hide the tube somewhere since I already plan on having an air tube from the armour to the helmet. We will see I guess. Pepakura is slow and fiddly especially for the amount of detail I'm going for in the helmet, so will be a few weeks yet!

For my Mark5b helmet i put some screen mesh right where my nose is, so that all the air goes out of the helmet, that helped a lot, but it still got a bit foggy and hot, i say put mesh in places were there's black on your helmet, to add as much breath ability as possible, then maybe add a small fan to circulate the air

For my Mark5b helmet i put some screen mesh right where my nose is, so that all the air goes out of the helmet, that helped a lot, but it still got a bit foggy and hot, i say put mesh in places were there's black on your helmet, to add as much breath ability as possible, then maybe add a small fan to circulate the air

Not sure how many places I could fit this into the helmet I'm making, It's the mark 6 model from halo 4 so could maybe fit some around the visor in some cracks but not large enough for what your thinking. Good idea though!

Just curious. What would be best to use in the helmet for air circulation and anti-fog, laptop fans like the cyclone mike or miniature blade fans like 25 X 25 X 10mm? Also, I have been toying with the idea of leaving a gap between the visor and the helmet. A small one like 2 - 3 mm gap. Think that would help with fogging and heat?

Just curious. What would be best to use in the helmet for air circulation and anti-fog, laptop fans like the cyclone mike or miniature blade fans like 25 X 25 X 10mm? Also, I have been toying with the idea of leaving a gap between the visor and the helmet. A small one like 2 - 3 mm gap. Think that would help with fogging and heat?

I have the cyclone mike fan for my airsoft goggles and it does help a lot. Leaving a gap would also allow for improved airflow, but maybe put some mesh in it in order to hide it a bit.

I've installed respirators in my helmets to completely isolate the visor from any airflow whatsoever. This has worked wonders for me, especially after making it so that the side intake valves draw air from a different location than the outtake valve dumps, while also completely segregating any outtake air from the visor using some gap filler foam. It may get a tiny bit more toasty, but it feels better being able to see through your visor, and not having absurd amounts of moisture building up inside your helmet.

2015-07-13 00.30.31.jpg

I just watched Adam Savage's Incognito walk from SDCC this year with Chris Hadfield and one thing that he did was the fans in the helmet, like everyone does, at the end of the video Chris gives a tip to have a fan in the back of the helmet blowing up and over your head witch directs the airflow down the visor and out the botom of the helm witch might help with fogging. maybe have a fan or pair of fans on top of your head pointing down at the visor that might be an option to try. for his torso cooling from what it looks like he used a CoolShirt and a custom fabricated pump and reservoir that fits in the backpack of his space suit that he filled with ice water and powered with a lipo battery. im sure you could probably rig up a setup like it that fits in the back armor of the chestplate. hope these ideas help and happy armoring!

Blorin,

What I found more cool was the cooling vest they demonstrated that Chris mentioned are actually used in real space suits.

Sweet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back