Resin the Next step, I need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptAzhatt

So after my first build of Pep, I need some help on the next step. I am not really sure how to do the resin thing some say to use the fiberglas some dont some say use bondo some dont. im just really confused I just dont want to get it to wet and it fall apart please help!!

Attachments

• 20150629_155255[1].jpg
    20150629_155255[1].jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 263
First coat the outside with resin but only do a thin coat as it might warp, 2nd coat do a thick coat but don't go crazy. Then coat the inside with resin and if you want more strength you can fibreglass the inside or use rondo instead.

Nice pep work dude!

If you're not sure best thing is to try it out on something you don't mind going wrong. Take it from someone who ruined a helmet after 7 days of cutting and gluing :) You can build a shin or shoulder in a few hours, better to try it out on that first.
My situation is different however as I'm using aqua resin as I don't have the space to use more traditional resins and there seems to be less good info to find on using it with Pepakura.

Other then that, search button is your friend, there are many tutorials on this board that lead you through each step and many videos on Youtube that show you the entire process. Crusinsx summary however seems spot on :) Start with building up thin layers of resin on the outside, then depending on your end goal, add fiberglass or rondo on the inside. Finally use bondo on the outside if you want to fix up things and sand things into shape.

You'll want to try and support your helmet to prevent warping, so cut out card board shapes that fit both vertically and horizontally into you helmet, just cut them so they all fit together. Then you are ready to resin, you should be aware there are two types of resin, polyester (which is fiberglass resin) and epoxy resin, I personally used epoxy as I though it would be less hazardous - oh I was way wrong. For both types YOU NEED a respirator, no ifs or buts, trust me it's not good for you. You may be able to get away with epoxy resin on a very windy day but that's risky. Thin coats are best, I got away with a thin outside coat and a bit heavier inside coat and that was me. After this you can either use rondo ( to long to explain here, just look it up ) or fiberglass matting/cloth to reinforce the helmet. Then finally bondo, again look up tutorials, there is a guy on YouTube making an iron man helmet with excellent step by step videos on how to go from resin to fine detail.

Don't do a second coat of resin on the outside. Just do one thin coat, adding only enough for it to wick into the paper. Any more than that and you'll have pooling and excess to be cleaned up later (and it's much harder to do when it's, ah, hardened). The outside coat is simply to make the paper more rigid so it will hold its shape when you apply a "real" hardening coat on the inside. Any resin applied to the outside after the initial coat will have nothing to "soak into" because the paper is already hardened, and you'll end up with surface pools and puddles collecting up in corners. Also, when you apply the initial coat, don't do the entire model in one session or it will become too wet and heavy, increasing the probability of warping and distorting.

so when you say to add more strength you fiberglass it do you mean the fiberglass resin or fiberglass mesh? because i picked up epoxy resin and fiberglass resin and I am one really confused noob. Sorry

so when you say to add more strength you fiberglass it do you mean the fiberglass resin or fiberglass mesh? because i picked up epoxy resin and fiberglass resin and I am one really confused noob. Sorry

Add more strength with Fiberglass. Use your fiberglass resin with the fiberglass mesh/fibers. I'd avoid the epoxy as usually it does nothing but soak up into the fiberglass and adds no strength at all. That is from experience however I could be wrong.

So after my first build of Pep, I need some help on the next step. I am not really sure how to do the resin thing some say to use the fiberglas some dont some say use bondo some dont. im just really confused I just dont want to get it to wet and it fall apart please help!!

Check out this link to Cereal Kill3r's video. This one explains the difference between different resins and the next is a quick tutorial on using resin. This man is my hero. I've learned 90% of what i know about pep from him.

https://youtu.be/eJmB0yw3sOY

All his tutorials are very helpful and i guarantee you'll learn a thing or 2.

In my experience with resin, I kinda put a lot of drops... 60 per red solo cup and stir for 2 minutes but gotta work fast in applying it. But the resin will eat the red solo cup. FYI... But yes, put supports on the inside of the helmet, a light coat of resin on the outside and wait for it to harden. Resin in sections for better results. As noted above, if you do more than a section, e.g., the whole helmet, the chances of warpage is much higher...

Also, use PPE (Personal Protective equipment), Respirator is a must. Goggles. lots of disposable gloves. You will go though a lot of paintbrushes, get the economy pack. A Painter's suit does help against the fiberglass but it still gets everywhere...
Work in a well lit and ventilated area. Be prepared for spills and to wash off spilled resin.

Take your time. I've seen excellent pepped helms get ruined from rushing their project....

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back