Burt's Master Chief & ODST build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Burt's MJOLNIR Mark VI LD Build

WJOQ0Tl.jpg

x5mGwVG.jpg

Here's my finished MJOLNIR Mark VI suit. I started this on June 22, 2015 and finished on July 18, 2015. A little less than a month of work. I did between 4-8 hours of work on this every day.

Some facts:
I used 1.25 gallons of Fiberglass Resin. (One Gallon & One Quart - I should have used 2 gallons but thats a lesson learned for next suit.)
I went through 2 pairs of respirator cartridges.
I used around 40 50cent paintbrushes.
I used around 100 latex gloves
3 cans of Spruce green Satin Rustoleum spray paint. 2 cans of gray primer. 2 cans of black satin rustoleum spray paint. 1 can of chrome paint. 1 can of hammered black
Only used medium sand paper, and did all of it by hand, got most of the big drips and mistakes with the dremel. Lesson for next suit is to get a palm sander and a lot more sand paper.
Its HOT! I wore this around my house and heat up pretty quickly. I only have one small fan in the helmet (I didn't realize how tiny the Mini fan was... ordered a second one today) so two should be perfect.
My mobility is horrid. I can't touch my toes, I can kind of sit down, and I can't see my feet. I can move around pretty easily, its just certain moves are inhibited by armor haha.

Overall, I'm really happy with how it turned out. I LOVE my suit! This is my first cosplay, and it was a really fun project. There's still a few tweaks I need to do, and keep working on fitting, and possibly make it easier to get into.
I want to make a detailed undersuit and possibly add lights to more pieces. I'm going to get some good photos here as well with a friend.

Thanks for checking out my thread, and hope you like my suit!

View attachment 15135

View attachment 15136

Here's my finished MJOLNIR Mark VI suit. I started this on June 22, 2015 and finished on July 18, 2015. A little less than a month of work. I did between 4-8 hours of work on this every day.

Some facts:
I used 1.25 gallons of Fiberglass Resin. (One Gallon & One Quart - I should have used 2 gallons but thats a lesson learned for next suit.)
I went through 2 pairs of respirator cartridges.
I used around 40 50cent paintbrushes.
I used around 100 latex gloves
3 cans of Spruce green Satin Rustoleum spray paint. 2 cans of gray primer. 2 cans of black satin rustomleum spray paint. 1 can of chrome paint. 1 can of hammered black
Only used medium sand paper, and did all of it by hand, got most of the big drips and mistakes with the dremel. Lesson for next suit is to get a palm sander and a lot more sand paper.
Its HOT! I wore this around my house and heat up pretty quickly. I only have one small fan in the helmet (I didn't realize how tiny the Mini fan was... ordered a second one today) so two should be perfect.
My mobility is horrid. I can't touch my toes, I can kind of sit down, and I can't see my feet. I can move around pretty easily, its just certain moves are inhibited by armor haha.

Overall, I'm really happy with how it turned out. I LOVE my suit! This is my first cosplay, and it was a really fun project. There's still a few tweaks I need to do, and keep working on fitting, and possibly make it easier to get into.
I want to make a detailed undersuit and possibly add lights to more pieces. I'm going to get some good photos here as well with a friend.

Thanks for checking out my thread, and hope you like my suit!

Awesome work!

I cannot recall how much resin I used for my suit, I kinda flubbed the sizing and there was some wasted pep I made.

I use an 80mm fan in my helmet and according to many where I'm at they said that they have never seen mine fog up. But there was one convention where it was already muggy and then it rained, that was the first time. Also, it is hard to hear with it XD. I'm looking to upgrade/replace it. Even with the fan, the layers of armor and undersuit gets warm quickly. I'm researching cooling tech and plan to install that in the MK II of my armor.

Peripheral vision goes down. I can sit, but I use two foam/rubber energy swords as feelers and canes to be able to sit.

Congrats!

p15wGTV.jpg

Long time no see!

This is what I've been playing with the last week or so. Its not Halo accurate, but the color scheme will be! This is my Nerf Magnus that I'm working on repainting (not done yet!). It will be attached with magnets to my suit.

I have one question for you folks: What size magnet should I use for this? It is about a pound in weight. Would a 10lb in strength magnet be strong enough to hold this vertically on my thigh? Or do I need something stronger? What would be strong enough that I could kind of lightly toss it to my thigh and it will attach?

d7y94ZI.jpg

Did a wearability test tonight. Wore the suit for about an hour to prep for Tampa Bay Comic Con. Boy are these suits HOT! Wearing the suit around the house isn't so bad with the helmet off and you're moving around. Once the helmet is on it gets toasty, even with fans. Can't wait to get some decent pictures of my full suit.(its really hard to take pictures of yourself.... the one time I wish I had a selfie stick!) Ended up breaking a part of one of the thighs when I went to sit down (part of it 'ripped' somewhat) but I glued it back together and strengthened that area with hot glue--all part of the wearability test!

Its supposed to rain on Saturday and I'm glad. Otherwise it would be way too hot to wear this outside. I'm hoping to see a few 405th members on Saturday and I'm crossing my fingers everything goes to plan so I can make it down there!

I made it to my first Comic Con! I had so much fun there! I know I asked for rain in my previous post, but oh my goodness it poured so bad that roads were flooded in Tampa. My car almost got stuck at one point the water was SO HIGH on the roads, it was insane!

So many people stopped and asked me for pictures and I wasn't able to get all of them but I did get some pictures with some of my favorites! It was really neat taking pictures with so many people and it was so cool seeing the kids smile when they saw me. I got to meet and talk with both George Lowe(Space Ghost!!) and Billy West(Fry from Futurama!)

QRdOnk8.jpg

Chief with the Predator!

4OEF7S2.jpg

Chief with Batman! We had the same gloves! I thought that was pretty cool!

2Tvnn3u.jpg

I loved this cosplay. Unfortunately I don't know who she was, I think a Diablo character? I feel so dumb for not knowing :(

wA6t6ca.jpg

Assassin's Creed! I loved this! This guy looked so bad ass!

fZFsaas.jpg

WELCOME TO THE LEAGUE OF DRAVEN! Another awesome one! Draven and Ezreal from League of Legends! Unfortunately this really shows how dang short I am.... (someone even said I'm too short to be Chief! I'm sorry, they forgot to add height to the Spartan Burt augmentation!)

I wore my suit for around 2 and a half hours, through the rain! My left boot tore a bit and I have to fix it and somehow a screw popped off? I have no idea how it did.. it had a nut on the back of it, and it didn't rip the boot... It still held together very well (but man was I noisy! *crunch crunch crunch* every step!)

Now I'm going to prep for the next event, which is 2050events, and the 405th southern regiment is invited! We get to meet the voice of MASTER CHIEF himself AND Cortana! I want to make sure my suit is waaay better for this!
I'm going to get a better undersuit (I think I might look into a morph suit.... ) and work on some more electronics for the helmet. And of course.. If I'm going to meet Master Chief, I'm going to need a real Halo weapon... I think an Assault Rifle Build is in order!

Thanks for checking out my thread and hope you like it!

Here's a picture of some of the roads in Tampa that I had to deal with... Crazy!
7ZwBzC2.jpg

the flood where

wheres the flood

i cant wait to kill them

o you mean a flood ok i get it sorry :facepalm got carried away

Hello friends! I wanted to share with you my next project! I mentioned previously that I wanted to build an Assault Rifle, but turns out I don't have enough cardboard laying around!

I found the file for a Sliced Halo3 M6C SOCOM aka the automag. While I love all the pistols from Halo, the Automag looks really neat to me. I've never done any sliced files, and I sure as heck didn't want to do a Pepakura gun... I figured I would test the waters with this, plus I had the cardboard for it!

toSPJWZ.jpg

I started out with cutting out the template. I realized that with the file it came with, its only showing half of the gun, so I would need 2 of each piece of the template.

tjJMIe3.jpg

And I just finished cutting out each piece. Cardboard does not like to be cut! Getting through all the layers was a pain to say the least. But hey, its better than Fiberglassing! These are all the pieces just laying on top of each other, I haven't glued it yet because I'm waiting for some foam to get here tomorrow so I can start cutting out some of the small detail pieces.

I wish I had more to share but I was just so excited to post since its really looking neat! I plan to get this done before Friday, I have scheduled to have some pictures done with my suit that afternoon, so I need to have this done for those!

Thanks for checking in! I'll have more soon!

toSPJWZ.jpg

tjJMIe3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Burt's MJOLNIR Mark VI Build + M6C SOCOM (AutoMag)

Day 3 on the Automag

MQRKd40.jpg

TFMgtD6.jpg

7EpStBk.jpg

J8soRzF.jpg

This thing is HUGE! I love it. The clip is removable. I did the edges with plain old masking tape, details with foam. It looks a bit rough right now! I'm going to coat it with a nice layer of fiberglass tomorrow and then paint it. I have to get this thing done by tomorrow night so the clock is ticking!

Good news and bad news. Good news is I got some really great pictures done today! Bad news is I didn't finish my Automag because the resin didn't cure in time... I started it last night expecting only a 4ish hour cure time... but its been over 24 hours and its still sticky. (even when I blasted it with a heat gun to try and hurry it up....) Oh well. Now I have lots of time to finish the Automag properly, I might even do a second one with a few extra adjustments now that I'm more familiar with the pattern. The gun in these pictures is my painted Nerf Magnus-while not Halo accurate, at least it matches (and shoots whistling darts! haha) I would have LOVED to do more, but we only had about 10 minutes to do these because it was 90+ degrees outside and I was sweating bullets!

IVr7VqD.jpg

EbLLd6I.jpg

KpTio1C.jpg

IOEEvpK.jpg

sZJpyYf.jpg

JvyVprL.jpg

K0tEt7T.jpg

Hope you like these! I'll post more of the Automag once I finish it :)

Very cool! I like the forest glamour shots :)

Awesome builds, really impressive stuff. Sorry if you've already mentioned, but which file and roughly what thickness of cardboard did you use for your pistol?

Awesome builds, really impressive stuff. Sorry if you've already mentioned, but which file and roughly what thickness of cardboard did you use for your pistol?

Its the sliced file here. I just used the cardboard from cardboard boxes that Amazon sent me. Honestly, If I were to do another one, I would splurge and go buy that black posterboard you can find at Walmart. Like the foamcore stuff. I think that would be a bit better and easier to manage.

Cardboard is just the worst to cut.

My automag progress has slowed down a bit. I have some terrible friends who talked me into playing World of Warcraft with them again :lol

I've gotten some progress done on it, but its still a bit rough around the edges. Fiberglass layer is done and I added a flashlight to it. Threw some paint on it to see what I've got. Did some sanding and plan to do some finishing touches tomorrow.

One side is nicer than the other right now. This is because I spray painted one side before I fiberglassed it to see if I could get away with not having to fiberglass. Welp, that experiment didn't work out! Once I put the final layer of paint it'll be a nice matte black.

j1oM0be.jpg

16NOUY3.jpg

AU6Sgjf.jpg

Here's a neat tip I found: Ejuice bottle tops make great detail pieces! I took a top from one of my tiny bottles, cut it in half and used each side for the knobs on the gun.

I found the flashlight at walmart. Its just a simple twist keychain flashlight. They didn't have a black one so I had to paint it (and need to touch it up!)

Really loving this prop right now. It was pretty simple to do, and the flashlight really makes it cool. I want to make another one after I finish this to maybe get a working trigger! (but thats after my next project..... VENOM SNAKE cosplay! for MGSV coming out soon!)

Hope you like it!

My first prop gun is officially completed. The M6C/SOCOM AKA the Automag.

DB1vsdK.jpg

HpU19YN.jpg

z4aVzV2.jpg

Tried to give it the look that its been meleeing some aliens and has gotten some abuse. What do you think? I've learned a lot and not 100% happy with it, but its not bad for a first try (and I know what not to do for the next one :) ).

I've been busy making a Metal Gear Solid: The Phantom Pain costume of genderbent Big Boss. I am extremely excited for the upcoming game, it is my all time favorite game series. I love Snake/Big Boss and have grown up on it, I can't remember who came first in my life.. Master Chief or Snake. To be honest, I just wanted an excuse to make the Robot Arm. :D

A16v1kJ.jpg Gqbyb37.jpg SGdsLHi.jpg

(for these pictures I used hotglue to glue the shrapnel to my forehead... it only stung a little. I didn't have proper cosmetic glue for these pictures and I didn't want to wait!)

Here's the arm before paint, its made from foam.

ZedZGRB.jpg

Here it is painted and detailed.

ul8C05L.jpg

This was my first free hand project, hehe. Its 2 parts, the forearm and hand. The hand has a glove base with 2mm craft foam on top, with computer case screws/motherboard screws for details. I used Acrylic paint to paint it and about 6 layers of Elmer's glue to seal the foam. It was a lot easier to do than my MJOLNIR suit!

"Now, where's the Halo stuff, Burt?!"

I'm glad you asked! I've got 2 months before the big 2050Events in Daytona and if I'm going to get to meet the voice of Master Chief, I figured I really needed to step up my game.

I wasn't 100% happy with my helmet. I felt it was just a tad too big. So first on the list is making a new helmet.

Au63Jim.jpg

I started pepping a new model and taking my time with this one. I really want it to be fantastic.

Thanks for checking out my thread and I'll have more updates soon on my helmet!

Here's a small update, I finished pepping my helmet and added supports.

sXOPfCv.jpg bp85y8y.jpg empuTA2.jpg

with supports added.

qpD1gkd.jpg 5HsdNyt.jpg k9C25Je.jpg

Fiberglassing later tonight :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back