Burt's Master Chief & ODST build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its been a minutes since my last post, Thanks for the kind words guys!

The Genji helmet was for a commission.

I finished it, and the customer was extremely happy. They wanted the Carbon Fiber variant. Made with EVA foam.

c1vQfpR.jpg

Another commission I also finished. Not for my costume, but will be similar when I do mine. These are Reaper's Nevermore Hellfire shotguns.

WNkrNmR.jpg

Original model by Fabian Els. These were 3D printed, finished and painted. Another satisfied customer!

mmmbbNz.jpg

bC6r2iR.jpg

I'm still working on Plague Doctor, and here are the shoulders! Finished! Another set that were 3D printed.

99OaVhG.jpg

I'm working on the bracers now. they will be attached with magnets :)

Here's a teaser that I will eventually get to: I want to 3D print an H5 shotgun

0BrFImj.png

And one more teaser for any of you Batman fans :)

5xL6qXr.jpg

Another personal costume in the works :)

Crunch time!

OZnE1n1.jpg

I had to redo my mask for 2 reasons. One, my favorite singer in the WHOLE WORLD signed my mask when I went to a concert recently. I ran into him before the show and got to talk to him a bit! I've been a fan of Anthony Green of Circa Survive since I was in Highschool (over a decade at this point!). its literally the only band I like lol. My favorite singer signed my favorite mask, so its too special to take to cons now.

km1etGA.jpg

Reason #2. You can see in this pic, compared to the first picture.. the mask is just a bit big. I resized the mask to be 10% smaller and its perfect now. I also did a better paint job.

This second mask is also just better built. I hate redoing projects, but every time I revisit something, I can really see how much improvement I've made even in such a short time. I was able to find some plastic grating for the eyes, so the eyes are durable (the first mask, the eyes are fishnet leggings that I cut and glued in)

M3EgrBE.jpg

Here's the inside of the mask. The plastic grate was some kind of hook for socks or something. I was going to use it for something on Master Chief but never did. I cut it in half, heated with heat gun, and warped to fit the curve of the mask for a perfect fit.
Glued the LEDs to the grate with both super glue and hot glue. I used some black foam to curve around the LEDs so it won't hit my eyes and I can see out of the mask. (I can see GRATE! No but really, its not bad at all lol)

2 LEDs are wired up to a battery holder that holds two 3v cell batteries.
The shoulders are wired the same way.

ttEa6wV.jpg ijZvn50.jpg ljn7kpo.jpg Ixmxl11.jpg

I found a jacket today. Its almost perfect (and floor length!). Please ignore the ribcage thats not part of the costume :lol, I've got a skeleton mannequin I used for the model. (bought it back in college 5 years ago for an art class.. he's been sitting in my closet since! (hehe) finally have some kind of use for the fella!)

More to come!

Wow.

Just, wow.

"I don't know what is weirder - that you're fighting a stuffed animal, or that you seem to be losing." - Suzie

It's been a minute since my last post here... I've been up to a few things since then :)

zZ47YPX.jpg

Y0XuEMu.jpg

iAI2eJ8.jpg

jctojM6.jpg

new upgrades coming soon :) I haven't touched my Master Chief in years and haven't made any upgrades since I got my big 3D printer. It's time.

Time to dust off the Chief!

I have you on my Facebook and I'm super glad I just found this thread. It's different seeing it post by post, versus it in a continuous thread that never ends. I LOVE IT

QFj6im7.jpg

*almost* finished Master Chief helmet.

This was a difficult one.

drn2r9w.jpg

It was supposed to be one single print. The first 3 attempts failed, but the 4th... I powered through. Where the blue tape is, the extruder on the printer hit the print and shifted 2mm... so I had to break the helmet to reglue it to fit. Then the bill/nose shifted so much that I had to cancel the print. since up to that point was about 4 days, I figured I would just eyeball in Netfabb where the print failed and retro fit the two pieces on to the existing print. It worked good enough.

This pic was taken on June 16th when I finally had it all together and the glue had dried.

1pXeShG.jpg

you can still see a lot of the flaws here. I like using black paint as a type of filler.. I can see the flaws and print shift, and its cheap.Works good enough.

umKTWrj.jpg

FvUTdXj.jpg

And here is my dual visor experiment that worked better than anticipated. The outer layer is a $5 'Replacement Face Shield, 8"x 15.5"x .040, Clear Polycarb, Model 15151' (amazon it!). It's very flexible, and can be cut with tin snips or heavy duty kitchen scissors (not recommended, but if thats all u have).

The gold under layer is a Visor material from our very own StonyPropsJim or IconProps (not sure his username here) (Etsy Link here). So in Total, the visor cost around $30, and for most of it I simply used scissors to cut it. I used a dremel to cut the inner detail pieces with a diamond cutter blade, and then a file & 80 grit sandpaper along the edges to sand and make the edges smooth (careful, dont scratch your clear visor!). Installation is simply just pressure fit in place, and some hot glue in particular points to reinforce.

The vision is excellent, its like putting on a pair of sunglasses.

It's not perfect, but I'm super happy with it and I finished it without feeling too rushed for Halo Outpost Orlando here in a few weeks. I just have to install the fans, lights and padding.

View attachment 272384

*almost* finished Master Chief helmet.

This was a difficult one.

View attachment 272385

It was supposed to be one single print. The first 3 attempts failed, but the 4th... I powered through. Where the blue tape is, the extruder on the printer hit the print and shifted 2mm... so I had to break the helmet to reglue it to fit. Then the bill/nose shifted so much that I had to cancel the print. since up to that point was about 4 days, I figured I would just eyeball in Netfabb where the print failed and retro fit the two pieces on to the existing print. It worked good enough.

This pic was taken on June 16th when I finally had it all together and the glue had dried.

View attachment 272386

you can still see a lot of the flaws here. I like using black paint as a type of filler.. I can see the flaws and print shift, and its cheap.Works good enough.

View attachment 272387

View attachment 272388

And here is my dual visor experiment that worked better than anticipated. The outer layer is a $5 'Replacement Face Shield, 8"x 15.5"x .040, Clear Polycarb, Model 15151' (amazon it!). It's very flexible, and can be cut with tin snips or heavy duty kitchen scissors (not recommended, but if thats all u have).

The gold under layer is a Visor material from our very own StonyPropsJim or IconProps (not sure his username here) (Etsy Link here). So in Total, the visor cost around $30, and for most of it I simply used scissors to cut it. I used a dremel to cut the inner detail pieces with a diamond cutter blade, and then a file & 80 grit sandpaper along the edges to sand and make the edges smooth (careful, dont scratch your clear visor!). Installation is simply just pressure fit in place, and some hot glue in particular points to reinforce.

The vision is excellent, its like putting on a pair of sunglasses.

It's not perfect, but I'm super happy with it and I finished it without feeling too rushed for Halo Outpost Orlando here in a few weeks. I just have to install the fans, lights and padding.
That's definitely a great looking visor, especially for $30. The visor is definitely the most daunting part of my next helmet, unless I skip it all together that is and make the whole thing solid. Still thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back