Burt's Master Chief & ODST build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Burt's Master Chief Foam Build

A layer of primer added to the helmet.

RvO8EWq.jpg H2Gw8c8.jpg RX5VmNG.jpg

I redid the gauntlets a little differently. Not done with them, just wanted to share some progress.

5NiV1eb.jpg A4vivKG.jpg afv5v2S.jpg

And the abplate
MwpXkEj.jpg

Re: Burt's Master Chief Foam Build

Hi everyone. I have a decent update for you.

First and foremost, disaster struck during my helmet build. Long story short: I took shortcuts and ended up paying for them. I didn't glue edge to edge and that is what ended up costing me. The seams constantly shifted under the bondo/glue if I moved the helmet the wrong way (aka cracking the bondo seal)
ybdlNhV.jpg R0YujVE.jpg (it looked so good before I broke it...)

I ended up destroying this helmet for the tension pins inside and decided to just reprint the helmet and do it right. (Helmet is 3D printed).

eljjWqo.jpg

Here's helmet #2. Just finished this tonight. Now to begin the hard work again.

After my helmet broke, I lost a lot of steam. I wanted to quit. Then I got the crazy idea of doing a build with a good friend, and he agreed. I figured we'd both make ODST suits.

1f70Q78.jpg JqNxkfa.jpg UrJ4mbG.jpg HHxZale.jpg

We both made ODST gauntlets, and I wanted to test the shoulder template before we did our next build day and ended up finishing my ODST shoulders, as well as my Master Chief shoulders.

gidV42d.jpg

Master Chief shins are also put together.

zjaVC2e.jpg

Here's a Halo Magnum I finished with a custom paint scheme that my Master Chief suit will eventually match. This is also 3D printed. You can find the file here

And here's two bonus pics from a recent local Con I went to.

RaSFxtA.jpg Ua4Wgfn.jpg

I plan to have 2 ODST suits, and a finished Halo 4 Master Chief suit by Megacon (May 26th). Wish me luck! I'll keep you posted :)

Re: Burt's Master Chief & ODST build

g0ohhRq.jpg

My friend and I (PlainCandle) have been really busy!

2 pairs of shins, 2 pairs of kneecaps, 2 pairs of shoulders, 2 pairs of gauntlets for our ODST costume. I'm 3D printing an ODST helmet now. Just need Boots, chest and waist area done.

fzh2uwu.jpg IZSiC9c.jpg 0x9l2NU.jpg (left the back open so feet can fit in)

vNZDXFn.jpg uU7GoSH.jpg jX31G0X.jpg
Shoulders are plastidipped and one is primed for paint.

HOLY PROGRESS BATMAN! great work on the, well everything! I must say though, I am so jealous of those shins

Both of our ODST suits are almost finished being built. We've got a few things left to do for the chest, one butt plate, and extra details we want to add. Then Seal/Painting and strapping.

I wanted to see one of our suits together, so I laid it out to see what we've got. (I forgot to put the Hip plates in this picture, whoops!).

4PMefgK.jpg

I 3D printed this helmet in about a week. Model by the great Dutch Props

(tape is just to hold it together for the pic, its since been glued together!)
53vCf7D.jpg hbER8Qb.jpg

I don't have much time left before Megacon, but here's a small update of the progress my friend and I have made.

bRNHuR2.jpg

Here are our helmets. They are a bit further along then you see here, but this is such a good shot after a fresh coat of primer :)

5Te45Xd.jpg

my helmet after a bit of sanding. It's almost ready for paint now.

JYYtqUl.jpg

We're plasti dipping all the pieces now. 2 ODST suits make up a lot of individual pieces! (this isn't all of them, they are all taking over my porch!)

And here's an added bonus:
WzyCJTe.jpg cQulXZX.jpg D4hoAnt.jpg 05G3Pty.jpg

Both of these are 3D printed on my monoprice maker select. Reaper's mask from Overwatch, and Kylo Ren's lightsaber hilt. Reaper model here Kylo ren model here

I'm really sorry I haven't been updating with many pictures for this build. I'm just so crunched for time working on these two suits!

Here's a few pieces that are done.

nL95N3P.jpg

These are two separate suits. The white suit is mine, while the black and orange is my friends.
I'm not sure if I like my shoulders with the black stripe on them.. what do you think? I love the teal though :)

Cg6ebKh.jpg

Left side is unweathered, right side is weathered, for comparison.

I've got to finish this by Thursday night!

ZJ292TZ.jpgkPbMrzo.jpgXFScget.jpgwOpgSsv.jpg

Helmet is done being painted.

Here's a bonus DOOM pistol from the latest Doom.

1jn5ljf.jpg

3D printed, I hope to have this done for Megacon too. It just looks neat :)

You're almost there. You have all day today and tomorrow. Crunch Time!!!!! You'll get it done.

I'm still working on editing photos from Megacon.
Both suits were completed in time and had great reception at Megacon! We had such a blast and my friend is convinced! Here's a few photos of our suits. We started both suits back around mid April and finished just in time for Megacon, so two suits in a little over 30 days. I'm pretty proud of that, especially when I was teaching my pal the ropes, and getting him involved in what we do (and he's hooked now!) We're doing more suits, so keep an eye on my pages if you're ever so inclined :)

i87AcTd.jpg

Photo by my pal over at JAWs Photography

d82zZSk.jpg

I did some last minute adjustments on mine. I liked how my Mark VI gauntlets fit better than my ODST so I figured, its my suit, I want something different. I also ran out of time to make another ODST helmet for myself, so I just kept working on my Mark VI helmet since I had spent so much time on it already.

Once I have all these images edited, I'll post an album for you!

Thanks for checking out my thread, it means a lot. I hope you like it!

Dang those are good looking suits for only 30 days of work! They came out great!

Nicely done Burt!!!! Fantastic. Glad you were able to finish in time and enjoy the Con.

Last edited by a moderator:

FdN9GTE.jpg

Just wanted to share my finished Reaper mask. Reaper from Overwatch

mOJZ3iy.jpg 8S0pWdB.jpg

I also 3D modeled and 3D printed these ODST chest buckles so I can update my ODST chest. If you want a set of these, message me.
Referenced from this image:
HivWkMZ.png

It's been a while since I updated this thread!

I'm working on a lot of Overwatch stuff. Mainly Soldier 76 and Plague Doctor Reaper.

dvExS7W.jpg

Here's the mask! (and I'm waiting on the jacket still.. this 'Murica tanktop will have to do for now!)
I'll be coloring my hair this weekend to blond/white (we will see how it goes, haven't colored my hair in over a decade! lol)

Here's a gif of the mask in action

I can see just fine (its just super red), the light doesn't bleed at all, and its really comfortable!

The mask is 3D printed, with red el tape for the light. Lots of Filler primer, bondo spot putty and sanding to get it this pretty.

---------------------------------------------

I'm currently working on Plague Doctor Reaper mask.

xNvUG0j.jpg

It starts out a bit rough. You can see the print lines and seams pretty easily (I could get a cleaner print, but I'm just so annoyed with messing with my printers, they print good enough for me right now to even touch. Seems every time I mess with them, I end up causing more trouble down the line lol)

3rqmRIO.jpg

And here she is after a day or two of work. A can of Filler primer, and some love with Spot putty... lots and lots of sanding. I plan to run to the store tomorrow to grab some Ivory paint to start working on the paint.

I tried painting it last night with Acrylic paint (already had a bunch of ivory that a friend gave me) but I just didn't like the surface, I wanted a much smoother, prettier surface without brush strokes. (I almost had it, but after a light sanding half the paint ended up peeling off... thus causing me to sand ALL the paint off and start back at the primer, woops!)

I plan to add LEDs to the eyes as well, just like in game: maxresdefault.jpg

I'll update here in a few days once I add the LEDs. :)

Thanks so much for checking out my work guys, I really appreciate it!

v8qFh4B.jpg

Upyr9MG.jpg

6Ak33QP.jpg

She's finished! Painted with Rustoleum rattle cans. Smokey beige and satin espresso for the colors. Black mesh for the eyes and green leds. Leather straps to attach to my noggin!

Here's the mask in action!

The 'smoke' is just from my e-cig, I took a big whiff for the video. I'm thinking of rigging some tubing into the nose (I have holes drilled for smoke to come out). Or maybe just have a tube set up from my ecig to my mouth, for easy access and hold my ecig in my hand/have it in my pocket.

UB4VILP.jpg

Updates!

I colored my hair. My friend is a hair stylist and was nice enough to do this for me. We could only do one coloring, as I didn't want to fry my hair. We're going to try and go lighter at the end of August. This is cool for now though!

cRy47rm.jpg

I started working on the Soldier 76 gun. I plan to have this done by next weekend for Tampa Bay Comic Con.

I'm hoping my jacket will arrive in time, otherwise I'm doing a more casual costume (which is fine.. since its going to be really really hot out any way)

Well, I finished my build. My jacket came in time, although it is very small. I ordered a women's large and its very tight.
Regardless of the jacket issue, I'm quite happy with the whole costume. Once the jacket is taken care of, it will be a very comfortable costume.

These pics are just from a test fit, I hope to get better pictures soon. (all three arm healy cans are there, just a weird angle)

6uYk3wQ.jpg CfNYPYJ.jpg

Here's a video of the lights on the gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back