Burt's Master Chief & ODST build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burt

Hey there!

I wanted to share and document my build. I started this on 6/22/2015

I'm somewhat basing this build off of Spitfire22V's, LongshotX, Carpathia's who've been huge inspirations (as have many many many others!) I've been here over a year as a lurker, and even built a helmet last year, but unfortunately I never finished it.

9GcRocs.jpg

Here's a pile of Chest pieces. My method of Pepakuring involves scoring every piece on a page, then cutting each piece out, folding the scores, and throwing them onto a pile on my desk. Lime green = Valley (green=grass!) Blue pen = Mountain (blue = sky!)

v3ncBSJ.jpg

I did the helmet first, I always do the helmet first. Nothing like seeing that helmet to get you really pumped for a project. I kept my helmet the default size at 313mm. I'm hoping its not too big, as its about an inch or two bigger than my own head. I figured, this gives me plenty of room on the inside for lights, padding and fans. If its too big I can just redo it, no big deal.

LHUYWeb.jpg

It came out great. Its hard to tell if its too big for my head or not. And by fitting I'm not sure if its an inch or two too big. I keep fretting over those 1 or 2 inches, but I think in the long run it won't be a big deal.

For those wondering, I hot glued this.

66klgNe.jpg

My first helmet I made over a year ago, I bought the visor for and never used. I'm glad I kept it and never threw it out. Codpiece, Right gauntlet and Right shin and completed here. The first gauntlet I made ended up being too small. Oh well.

cPripkp.jpg

I worked on this for almost 8 hours a day since 6/22 at this point. Really trying to get all the pieces pushed out and done. My shoulders have been killing me from scoring and cutting paper. Pushing down hard on pens, and using a box cutter really put a strain on ya!

The shins fit great, the second set of gauntlets perfect... Since I'm a female, I had to do a bit of adjustments to the gauntlets since they were so huge on my arms. All I had to do was just fold one small section on the upper part to make the larger end a bit smaller. Easy quick solution!

I'm not sure on the shoulder piece. I wanted it larger than normal, because I wanted to look buff. On some of the builds I've seen I didn't like how small some of the shoulders looked, so I tried to adjust that for my build here. I'll have to get some pictures of it to show you guys and maybe you can give me advice on what to do.

bnZMas3.jpg

First layer of fiberglass laid on these last night. I was really happy with the result. No warping. I've really been hesitant about fiberglassing because... well, it sucks. It makes the biggest mess, you have a short amount of time to work... gah! You guys know the pains, its not quite fun! (but a nice break from cutting paper thats for sure!) If you look at the right one, you can see the fold I made to make the gauntlets fit my arm.

kkQnTcG.jpg

Chest is finished and fits great! It was quite a chore to get through that. I really shouldn't be complaining, it was only 22pages & 89 pieces.... thats nothing compared to some other models. Chest took me about 8 hours to finish. After the chest I attempted the HD thigh. Oh my lord. That was something to get through... and it didn't fit!!! It was just a bit too small. I love the look of the HD thighs and wanted them for my build, but after failing the first time, and seeing how that went... I'm going to stick with the LD pieces for now. 330mm thigh piece was too small. going with 370mm for the next set for the LD ones. A quick 18 pieces is much better.

Boots fit fantastic over a pair of shoes I have for them. They are similar to a pair of Converse shoes, but stop low at your ankle. I'm hoping the low shoe style won't be too low and won't be difficult to put on through that tubing that many use for their boots (I'm going to use the 5" drain piping I've seen others suggest).

1uclLV5.jpg

I got a lot more done tonight than I thought I would. I can only fiberglass past 9pm here because its so damn hot during the day. I started at 8pm and even that was too hot. I was sweating bullets under my respirator, even with a fan on full blast right behind me! First layer done on boots, second layer to the outside of gauntlets. Boots were so easy to do. I put some fiberglass on the inside supports of the chest piece... I'm a bit hesitant to fiberglass it because I don't have any support on the inside of it. I'm worried it will warp when I start putting fiberglass on. Its really rigid so I dont think I really need to worry. I think what I'll do tomorrow is just put some fiberglass cloth down and start strengthening the inside slowly and take my time with it, one oz of fiberglass at a time.

MibGku7.jpg

Layer on the inside of my helmet. I was too scared to put a layer on the outside just yet. I put some support on the visor on the inside so there won't be any warping there.

Tomorrow, I need to head to Lowe's and pick up some fiberglass cloth, more gloves and a ton more paintbrushes. So far, its about one paintbrush per layer per piece.

I need to cut out and put together thighs, cut out and put together my left shoulder, and do the hand plates then I will be done with Pepping!

Thanks for checking this out, and there will be more to come!

Last edited:
Re: Burt's MJOLNIR Mark VI LD Build

Wow, quite the load of information for a first post!

Fantastic work so far, and welcome to the forum!

I stayed up late last night looking at others builds and working on my handplates.

Ax3o95k.jpg

The first one I made, I put the depth at 85, was a bit too small for me. Measured again (whats that one handy saying.. measure twice cut once? :lol ) Put the width at 85 and that seemed to do the trick.

ZHHYniY.jpg

These pictures are probably hard to tell, but on the first one, the plate doesn't fit all the way across the plastic on my gloves. On this second one, it was a better fit.

VFYE45E.jpg

This is the weather I'm dealing with. This is on my porch, in the shade! I'm just sitting here with ants in my pants waiting to fiberglass today. I want to work and get some layers going but I'll have to wait till 9pm to start working.

fMcNuh9.jpg

I ran to Lowe's and got some more supplies. I hope I've got enough brushes... I think I might need more! (not 5 minutes after I got home, my nurse friend stopped by with a big bag of gloves... well, at least I've got plenty now!)

bBCgtKD.jpg

I picked this up for my dremel. I hope its the right one. I just bought my first dremel the other day http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BACCDA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00
I'm hoping this will do the trick when I need to split my chest, cut out my face on my helmet, and a few other fiberglass cutting adjustments.

6GCsvc2.jpg

Boot tubing too! Corrugated drain 4" drain piping. I hope this will do the trick. If not, I'll make it work!

ZYXPiXm.jpg

And one for the burn pile. This was quite unfortunate. This HD piece was like pulling teeth to finish only to be a tad too small. Its good pep practice though! (maybe I can turn it into a hat? haha!)

More updates to come!

Amazed as to how far you got on this, in less than 10 days. Crisp lines and good folds, I see.

:)

Amazed as to how far you got on this, in less than 10 days. Crisp lines and good folds, I see.

:)

Thanks so much! At the rate I'm going, I really hope to be finished in the next two weeks. I've been at it non stop.

Its only been a few hours but I've gotten quite a bit done in that time.

nmOGzrW.jpg

Added the detail to my hands. I really like the look of them. Not exactly game accurate, but my aim has never been for pure accuracy for this build.

Z8PR70u.jpg

Underside first. Super easy. Just pour in a bunch of resin, move it around, pour excess out. I chose to let them dry as you see them, so that whatever extra resin would just pool there. Turned out just fine!

ciId85f.jpg

Another layer to outside of boots.

wa4Z9B5.jpg

I worked on adding support to the inside of the chest here. Not too much, I didn't want to add too much weight to warp it since I don't have supports.

x2JSg9e.jpg

Trying to show the other side of it. I had it placed upside down and at just the right angle to hold the shape.

tk4Baa0.jpg

I gave that a good hour or two to dry and then added some to the outside. Slowly working my way around this bad boy.

LAM00hm.jpg

Here's the gauntlets. I did the inside. So far they both have 2 layers on the outside and one nice thick layer on the inside. These were simple to do, I used about 3 oz of resin and just poured it in, moved the resin around. If you look at this picture, you can see the resin where it pooled at the tip there. I placed them upside down so it would purposely pool there, but I didnt drain enough out. Woops. I did this on accident to the first one, and figured I'd do it to the second one as well to maintain balance. They feel really solid. There is a bit of warping, but nothing no one will notice except me.

fwQwifW.jpg

2 layers outside, one layer inside. I think I'm going to do another layer on outside and inside and call these fibgerglass finished.

C7HoXfU.jpg

Last bit of the night I did the outside layer to the handplates. They look awesome. I'm not sure if I'll do more layers to these. Maybe just a bit more to the underside.

I did another layer to the inside of the helmet but forgot to take a picture. Same method I did with the gauntlets. Mix resin, pour in an oz of it into inside and move it around for a smooth coat.

I also Pepakurad the thighs! Both are finished and fit great! Sorry I didn't get a picture, it was difficult holding the diaper (I mean belt...) and both thighs on for fitting! Only thing I have left to Pep is the left shoulder piece. Woo hoo! I'm getting there!

More updates to come!

I've been pretty busy today! Can I just say how much I hate fiberglass resin.. I can't wait to be done with this part.

bNVRoFe.jpg

Added detail to boots.

EA1U9GB.jpg

Detail added to back of chest (and the vents on the front of chest, didnt take a picture)

Z87Lz7c.jpg

Here's my pile of mess.... these gloves... look like something else... Looks super gross haha!

DqGjmVl.jpg

I threw some primer on one of the handplates to see how my details turned out. I really like it. While I haven't sanded it, and I still have a bunch to do... this really pumped me up for the day.

TzNh9br.jpg

I did the front inside of the chest. Put some fiberglass cloth in there to add strength. This stuff isn't fun to work with whatsoever.

PMFpNhl.jpg

I did the back of the chest as well. Not much warping. I'm getting really excited about this build seeing this.

izHxP1P.jpg

Another layer added to boots and over the detail. Just need to do the insides.

2KPMBdz.jpg

I did a layer to the undersides of the handplates, waited a few hours for them to dry, then flipped them and did the other side. I'm going to sand them tomorrow. Sorry for the picture quality. It looks like I put a filter on it. I was trying to take a picture quick with the flash on and holding my breath outside. Didn't feel like putting on my respirator for a quick pic!

I did the outside shins as well, and another layer to the inside of the gauntlets.

y51Tar0.jpg

I didnt put any cloth on the inside of the helmet because I hate the stuff. I've poured in 2 layers of fiberglass, coming to about 4 oz of it. Its getting some nice weight to it and really holding its shape. Its hard to tell the quality of the fiberglass layer from the picture, sorry! I've yet to do the outside, I wanted to do it tonight, but I really wanted the inside to completely cure so that the chin section holds its shape better for the outside layer of glassing. There's small amounts of warping, but I can't tell if that was there from when I pepped or not. (I've been staring at this stuff for days now.. every imperfection is starting to jump out at me now.. not sure if thats good or bad haha)

I'm really starting to make some progress. Right now I'm only limited by space... I want to fiberglass the belt, thighs and shoulders, but I don't have enough room for them. The gauntlets and handplates should be ready for cleanup/painting. I don't think I'll have too much to sand from either of them, but we will see!

I've yet to buy paint. Should I stick with the classic Master Chief 'Satin Oregano' or go with something less traditional? I was thinking maybe black and sky blue high lights, similar to Shockwave's build. (though I saw this really pretty teal color at Lowe's.....) Black or white as a main color? I've been thinking about this for a few days and haven't come to a concrete decision.

Also, how many layers of fiberglassing do you guys do? Is it more of a "how it feels" type thing? I hate fiberglassing, and the less I can do.. the better. So far, even with 2 layers, it seems very sturdy, but I don't want to bump into a wall or something down the road and find out its way too brittle.

More updates to come!

Hey Burt,

That's some pretty impressive looking work,

Cant wait to see the final outcome.

I went with 2 to 5 layers of fiberglass. 2-3 layers for the whole thing. 3 layers near the openings and edges of each piece. 5 layers where I felt the piece or part was weak and needed to be stronger.

I went with 2 to 5 layers of fiberglass. 2-3 layers for the whole thing. 3 layers near the openings and edges of each piece. 5 layers where I felt the piece or part was weak and needed to be stronger.

Thanks for the info. At the rate I'm going, I might need to get another gallon of resin :( I don't think one is enough for the rest of the pieces

More updates! I'm going to walk you through my day here with some pictures.

9gv45dF.jpg

I had some friends coming over, so I couldn't resin as soon as I wanted, so I figured I would prep any way. I took some fiberglass cloth and some regular old elmers glue and stuck the cloth where I wanted it, so when I went to resin I could just pour it in and smooth it out

XWuU5pk.jpg

Did the same thing with the helmet. Using Elmer's glue to put your cloth in place before you put in Fiberglass worked like a CHARM!

ByhFNLc.jpg

I worked on the gauntlets today, and tried out my dremel. I was worried that letting the fiberglass pool at the bottom of these that it would be tough to cut through.... Nope! That diamond wheel did the trick! Now.. if only I had charged my dremel last night... That would have been smart! (I wasn't able to finish... but at least I know I can cut through it no problem)

3CU0326.jpg

I sanded the outside of the gauntlets. I see why people use bondo to smooth these out. I'm lazy, and I really hate working with materials that only have about a few minutes of working time... so I'm not going to bondo my pieces. Plus... I like the look. The small pits in the fiberglass just look like natural wear and tear on the armor. I think with Adam's weathering technique, it will look fantastic.

MaLU3dK.jpg

I picked up some 'Satin Spruce Green' Rustoleum brand From Lowe's. I was worried it wasn't the right color as 'Satin Oregano' that I saw mentioned by others. I used flash here so you could see the details, but the green is pretty nice. I was worried my details would get lost, but man, they look super good.

JMJ2znr.jpg

Sanded them down a bit.

DFTYBvo.jpg

Painted them again, waited for them to dry, then tried some weathering to them because I just couldn't wait. Its hard to see here because of the flash and its dark out. It turned out ok. Lesson: Wait for your paint to fully dry. Mine was still a bit sticky here and was hard to wipe off some of the black.

5OjjCdw.jpg

Then I added some chrome weathering. This is what really made my jaw drop. Something so simple can really have a drastic affect.

Mz89V8x.jpg

These could have used a bit more black, but I'm going to leave them as is. They just need strapping and the handplates will be DONE!

Owu7IUp.jpg

And then I did more resining.... Last layer to the inside of helmet.

I3LBv8S.jpg

and the chest.

A7fauHV.jpg

and inside of boots. This should be the last of fiberglassing to the boots. I'm running low, and I hate fiberglassing. 2 layers to outside, 1 thick to inside should be plenty... I hope.

90GqBbG.jpg

and the inside of gauntlets. These will for sure be done with fiberglassing. Tomorrow I will clean them up, cut out the wrist opening and paint them.

KdxVbNd.jpg

Here's my setup I'm working with. Shins got neglected today mainly because I don't have any more room!

Tomorrow is the 4th and I will probably take a fiberglassing break.... Maybe. I've been working on this project non stop for over 2 weeks now and I can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel.

9utJwZm.jpg

Gloves are finished. I used the stretchy band method to strap them.

fGIsH83.jpg

Cut the holes out of the gauntlets. Lesson: Chargeable dremels aren't that great. The battery life barely got through one gauntlet. I cut one out, cleaned it up to fit, then had to charge it before doing the other one. Oh well, still got the job done.

AonZldK.jpg

Test fitting the gauntlets. Without padding here, they are not uncomfortable sitting on top of my gloves when I tuck the glove cuff into them.

CAyq5S7.jpg

Just need to weather and then add padding to them and the gauntlets are done.

oMmXzZZ.jpg

I worked on the boots, sanded them and painted them green. I just forgot to take a picture of them when they were painted green!
I need to cut them open, add tubing, glue my shoes into them, glue a foam base to the bottom, and weather them.

rvrwgN2.jpg

Outside of helmet is fiberglassed. This should be the last layer for it. I'll find out in the morning to be sure.

fQiV1LU.jpg

Inside of shins fiberglassed.

r6fikZl.jpg

Strengthening the chest with another layer in several places.

These were fun to do tonight. My neighbors were shooting off fireworks, so I had something to watch while working!

I am super happy today. I went and bought some black pants (still need to get a shirt for this), a big belt for the codpiece, suspenders and the rest of the materials I needed to finish up some pieces. EVA foam, Window liner, more paint and a few other things.

VvIzFdc.jpg

I padded the inside of the gauntlets. I didn't have to split them and its a bit of a squeeze to get my hand through, but once on, they are a secure fit. I actually really like how they fit. They don't spin at all.

aRJF1cX.jpg

I used EVA foam mats(Gold's gym brand) that I got at Walmart, and hot glued them in with a high temp glue gun. I like how they feel, and I've got a ton of foam now for a weapon once I finish!

rxy67BI.jpg

Painted and weathered the boots, installed the tubing. That was a major pain. I simply attached them with 3 screws, you can see the one on the top there. I wore them around the house for a few hours to make sure they were comfortable and had to cut away at the tubing a lot on the inside to get it the right fit.

FymmdGo.jpg
I didn't glue my shoes in. I got extremely lucky with sizing and the shoe I used and I just shoved it in there. Its a snug fit, and doesn't move when I walk. The tubing keeps it in place. Its a tight fit, and I think I will end up having to redo parts to get the fit to be more comfortable for long term wear.

l8JMp7d.jpg

Final touches to the boot. Added the hammered black to the toe, and used some of the tubing from the boots and cut it and glued it into the front of the toe. Glued an EVA foam sole to the bottom. Also added some window liner to the lining of the boots.

AIwNhz3.jpg

Test fit with the shins. One thing I haven't finished is the tubing between the shin and boot. I'm not 100% sure how I'm going to do that part yet.

SN54GTg.jpg

Last layer of fiberglass to these pieces. I'm going to finish the shins first, since they are relatively easy to do.. just paint, and padding and they will be finished. Helmet, I have the hardware for the visor to install and that will probably be after the shins; paint, padding... then electronics. Next after helmet, I will sand the chest, clean it up, split it and work some attachments to it, paint it and strap it.

u6Qoogh.jpg

Here's my finished pieces so far.

97hcOLv.jpg

Shins were painted and weathered last night.

KlQfvoq.jpg

And shins are 95% completed. Padding on the inside is done, but I'm going to have to strap them to the thighs. Easy peasy to do, I just need to do the thighs and codpiece to finish these. (sorry, the lighting is horrible)

5rVk7vl.jpg

I've been slowed down by the chest and helmet. That's to be expected, I'm sure. I've had to keep adding more layers of fiberglass and the drying time is slow going. I don't want to skimp out on this part and really make them durable.

8BhM02v.jpg

I cut out the faceplate. One of the parts I've been dreading to do. The only hard part was waiting on my dremel to charge!

BjqT774.jpg

And the visor is installed! I did it! This whole project, I've assumed installing the visor was going to be the most difficult part of this, since I really didn't know what I was doing, and only had one visor. And it only took me an hour... It was so easy! I didn't have to cut my visor at all, and just drilled some holes.

I'm still a bit worried the helmet is a bit too big. I put it on and feel like I'm swimming in it... but there's no padding, and no electronics. I think with proper padding, and once I get the electronics in there, I'll be glad its the size it is.

hpIx2xA.jpg

Here's how I installed it. 3 chicago screws. Used some JB weld to glue them onto some wooden pieces (you know those yardsticks from Lowes? It makes for cheap lumber! haha!) then hot glued the wood into the helmet because I didn't feel like waiting 24hours for the glue to dry... (I set up the screws with the JB weld last night, and had them ready for today)

3oZvMBE.jpg

And here's where the chest is at. I put some primer on it, and I'm waiting on a layer of fiberglass to dry. I have a lot of sanding and cleaning to do on this, theres a lot of fiberglass 'drip' marks that I have to get rid of. I still have to split it. I think I'm going to copy Spitfire22v's method and do exactly what he did. This is the next part that I'm REALLY worried about. I don't want to mess it up!

I've been sanding all of this by hand too... A bit more time consuming, but I'll get it done!

I still need to fiberglass the thighs, shoulders and codpiece. I'm worried about the codpiece and how to support it while I fiberglass it... does any one have any suggestions?

I've also made 2 shoulders... one was way too big (360mm) and the second was just a tad too small (250mm). Going to try scaling them to 300mm and hope thats the magic number.

Thanks for reading and more updates to come!

Long time no see! I haven't forgotten you at all!

I've been quite busy with my suit.

A lot of sanding which I felt didn't warrant too much of an update.

6sJHtWd.jpg

I split the chest, and cut out the ab plate.

xyC1yJd.jpg

I started fiberglassing the belt. It wasn't near as bad as I thought. Slow and steady with this one.

3SY2s3X.jpg
Several hours of sanding later I felt I could put some green on a few pieces to see where I was at. I was happy with the results and wanted to get these pieces off my table!

uK8bWFc.jpg

I took some time and added some more padding that also worked as detail for my shins. I was looking around on youtube and saw this video and really liked how the edges of his suit were done and wanted that kind of effect on my gear. I made the affect you see on the shins by taking my hot glue gun and dotting the smooth side of the foam. It gives it this awesome gunmetal look.

gZ0phaS.jpg

I tried taking a picture of the helmet here. Its dark out, so trying to get the weathering to show in low light is hard, and the color gets distorted if you use flash. Hopefully you can see the effects. I tried taking pics with both flash off and with it on so you can see.

KuuoObN.jpg

YOzGr0W.jpg

GdQPaXb.jpg

The chest is almost done. Just need to strap it and pad it. I think I should probably add some stencils to it as well.

Helmet needs to be padded, and I need to figure out electronics. I went to radioshack and bought 270 ohm resistors, some white LEDs, a battery pack that holds 4 AAAs.

Question: Did I do this correctly for my LEDs for using 4 AAAs in a serial set up? And can I use 270 Ohm resistors or is that too high of a number?

dGEhkna.png

I really think I should be finished with this by the 18th. The only paper left are my thighs and shoulders, and I should start those tomorrow night!

Thanks for reading!

G6uY0o3.jpg

KX90ATY.jpg

Small update but wanted your opinion. How is the fitting with the helmet? I feel its a bit big, and mobility with it on with the chest is very limited (is this normal? If I try and look left or right, the helmet bonks on the vents of the chest piece) More padding could be added for adjustments on the inside, but currently its decently wearable. Both of these pieces are almost done. Helmet still needs electronics and a few detail pieces but I wanted to make sure it was the right size before I continued.

To me the torso looks too small. I'm no expert, though.

It is a hair small. Parts of it are tight on my chest, but after more fitting with the helmet, and more wearing of both, they both feel more comfortable (especially with several adjustments every day)

d1xqJ41.jpg

Here's where I'm at. Shins, shoes, gloves, gauntlets, chest and helmet are the wearable pieces. I can't say they are all 100% completed because I'm doing tweeks to them every day.

tzMkcxp.jpg

Thighs are being fiberglassed now. (the cups are my makeshift support)

Sa3Mmx3.jpg

As are the shoulders.

1D1h80L.jpg

And the belt is ready for sanding/touch ups!

2oF6Kx4.jpg

Added my name to my chest. Spartan Burt here!

I'm at the end stages of fiberglassing and thats wonderful feeling. More updates to come!

I've been making somewhat slower progress the last 2 days. My hands have been swollen and really bothering me. I guess all the hand work I've been doing with this suit for the past 3 weeks has caught up to me.

rMy0CyL.jpg

The belt has been painted and weathered. Next is to strap and pad.

8abpa3l.jpg

Shoulders have been painted and weathered.

Ip9wHD2.jpg

Here they are drying. It looks a bit ugly, but I swear its not. I really want my suit to look like I've been in it for weeks and fighting the Flood!

tPAARWZ.jpg

Here's an inside shot of my helmet. Getting the lighting and fans has been a pain. Radioshack didn't have the mini fans in their store so I had to order them online. I found some of those cheap LED from the dollar store, but after messing with them, and one breaking, I am thinking of just biting the bullet and wiring them. I have 3 working lights in my helmet at least.

I'm at the final stretch of my suit. I will be finished by the end of the weekend if not sooner. Although I have been taking my sweet time these last few days because my hands have been really sore!

More updates to come :)

c0BL8ny.jpg

I finished the strapping on the shoulders, and fixed the lights in my helmet! What do you think? How do I look? Please excuse the short sleeve shirt, I didnt feel like putting on my compression shirt for this fitting :)
It feels good to walk around in, very comfortable!

The thighs are drying outside, just need to blackwash, weather, and strap them and my suit will be good to go. It feels so good to be done fiberglassing!

Next thing to consider is the undersuit area. I don't want to have a plain boring exposed tummy.

I'll have some more photos tomorrow once I finish the thighs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back