Small problem with T45d

Status
Not open for further replies.

WodzWielkiBuc

Hello my friends!

I have started making my first pepakura cosplay.
It is T45d fallout armour, but I have faced "small" obstacle...
Witch is size of the model. I have used Roadwarrior model.
Can you advice me what to do with this?
I am 192cm tall, 54cm is shoulders and 32cm in waist...
How to put it on?
Should I make new one x1.5 times bigger?
I am really woeful... = (

Thank you for your answers and patience.

Ok, I found that I have to cut it in 2 pieces, but anyway will it be fine with size?
Or it will turn out when I will do it?

IMG_0016.JPG
IMG_0011.JPG
IMG_0020.JPG

Hey man!

Awesome, another Fallout build :)

Yup, as you mentioned, once you've resined and fiberglassed it you would cut it in half and add some sort of fasteners. The problem off course is, it all needs to be the right size to begin with or after all that work you'll find its too small/big.

The problem is that you need to figure out what size person the original models where meant to be and scale it up according to your own size. There are some good sizing tutorials on the forum but they are based on measurements made on HALO costumes and it's not a 1:1 application but they can still give you some good tips on how to figure out what size things need to be.

From the pictures I would say it is indeed a bit on the smaller side but not by much, definitely scaling up by 1.5x would make it waaay to large, I'd guess the suit would be designed for someone 180cm to 185cm. You measured yourself, measure the suit, see how much smaller it is then you and work from there keeping in mind the suit needs to be a bit larger then you are. Note that when you scale the files up in Pepakura you can do measurements inside pepakura to get an idea if you've gotten a better size.

Good luck man!

You don't need to make a new one bro. That thing is not made to be put over your head like a vest. There are two ways to do this.

chest.png

See the picture above. Remove the part I've highlighted RED (Keep it). Then test the size and see how it feels. Replace the RED with support struts I marked in BLUE. The support struts will help the piece keep its shape during resin & fibreglass.

Resin & fibreglass the red parts too, but keep them separate. Using clips or velcro, the red parts can be reattached after you've put the chest piece on.

The other way:

You want to cut it into 2 parts, the chestplate & the backplate.

Use support struts from card to make sure that the piece keeps its shape while resining, because you'll want the two pieces to line back up together after you've hardened the piece. You'll be devastated if you harden the entire thing to see that they don't line up at all due to warping.

Once hardened and all of that, you want to reconnect the pieces, but not permanently. I would suggest using clips like THIS where you decide to separate the armour. So when you put it on you put your backplate on and let it rest on your shoulders, then put the frontplate on, clipping the two pieces together and voila you have a solid piece.

I've marked the best places for the clips in red. Probably one on each shoulder and one under each armpit.

clippings.png

I hope that helped!

From the pictures I would say it is indeed a bit on the smaller side but not by much

Actually I would say the scaling is pretty much perfect for him. The chestpiece doesn't go all the way down to the belt anyway, and most of the bulk of the armour is made up by the shoulders, no the chestpiece.

Thanks for answer.

I will have to fibre it anyway and try it on. If it won't fit I'll pass it to my girlfriend and make new one.

If it was made for 180/185cm it shouldn't be so much problem to fit.

Anyway I'm confused, because biceps seems to be to long... Or just a fit... Is it?

Bez tytułu.png

Thanks Spartan for help :)

I did put it on my head to give the scale of armour and my body ;-)

But at the beginning I have to say I thought it should be put through head like a shirt... :lol

You can try it on before you fibreglass it. If you want to fibreglass it as a whole piece just remove the red parts I mentioned, and glue them back on after you've tried it, and then fibreglass it.

The bicep looks perfectly scaled. Remember Power Armour is supposed to look big on you. Some T-45d builds look awful because it's too tight fitting and makes the wearer appear too skinny. Too big is better than too small, because you can always remove a segment and fix it together rather than start again.

Yes, but when I have chest already done I can fibre it anyway. Even for practise and then decide what to do next. Keep it or build new one.

But I will handle it somehow, Trust me I am an Engineer :lol

Yes, but when I have chest already done I can fibre it anyway. Even for practise and then decide what to do next. Keep it or build new one.

But I will handle it somehow, Trust me I am an Engineer :lol

Haha no worries then mate! I was just thinking from a financial point of view, I wouldn't want to waste Fibreglass supplies on a piece if it didn't fit me. As you said though, someone else could make use of it.

I'm also working on a suit of power armour, feel free to message me and we can collab and share some tips with eachother.

Sure, we can :)

But I don't think I will tell you anything you don't know... I'm a newbie...

I have unlimited supply of fibre, so it's no problem ;-)

An unlimited supply? Nice. Any plans for the helmet yet? I think the suit will be a piece of cake but I'm dreading the helmet.

To be honest I've been lurking for a while but of the projects I've started I have never finished one before, so I'm a bit of a noob myself.

My chestpiece is almost done too, going with foam. I'm working on the T-60 from Fallout 4. I'll put a thread up when progress becomes more frequent.

Do you have pepakura model of T60?

Anyway I have a question, do you know if there is any Gauss Gun model in pepakura available?

Here you have a picture what I have now:

IMG_0038.JPG

I don't have any extras on helmet because it's out of scale and I can't print them. But I will mount light somehow and maybe something special...

Yes, I do have unlimited supply of fiber ;-) I know guy who runs a factory when they use it and they have a lot of waist witch I can use ;-)

Can you explain me what is this foam?

Do you have pepakura model of T60?

Anyway I have a question, do you know if there is any Gauss Gun model in pepakura available?

I don't have a file I'm afraid. I'm building with foam and there aren't many foam files for Fallout stuff. I had a look around but no signs of a Gauss rifle file either. On TheRPF.com there's a guy who built one, but I didn't look into the thread too much, didn't see a file but you might be able to get some tips. Just google 'Fallout Gauss Rifle WIP'.

Everything is looking good there buddy, everything looks proportional. Don't bother with the extras yet, you're better off adding them much later on and using real alternatives rather than building it all from Pep. For example the tubes that come from the front of the helmet would be much easier if you just bought some corrugated tubing and used that. You can buy a lot of lamps that look just like the one on the helmet, and just paint the case appropriately. Some things will be easier to pep, but pep them separately and add them to the helmet after they've been sanded and detailed.

The same goes for the handle on the chest piece, that'll be awkward to resin and sand, especially when you can probably buy a near-identical handle for like £2 on ebay.

Foam is another method of building armour and props. It usually involves working freehand, and using templates you've drawn yourself. However pepakura files do exist for foam. EVA Foam floor mats are what we normally use, it can be anywhere from 1mm-1cm thick, here's what it looks like. When heated with a heatgun it can be bent, stretched and formed to make smooth curves without adding filler and sanding. The main benefits are that it's lightweight for the wearer, it's bouncy in case of drops and bumps and even after paint it's still partially flexible, giving you more freedom. Here's an Iron Man helmet made with EVA foam.

Hope I answered your questions! The build is looking good mate, keep it up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back