TDOEEVA - Plague Mask - Completed

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdoeeva

Good day!

I started educating myself in pepakura builds about a month ago. First, I built a Skyrim Daedric Helmet from pep, but put it aside after the first stage to better practice using Bondo and Fiberglass with this plague mask. I acquired the pepakura files from Demorai on DeviantArt. It's thanks to him that I was able to start, as I have yet learned how to isolate and unfold an item to build.

First photo is after the outer resin coat and the inner fiberglass. I'm aware of how messy that inside shot is, this is my first time working with fiberglass. Then we have my learning to bondo and then finally the last two are the completed piece.

The bondo took many layers (similarly a new acquaintance of mine) since my technique for applying was a learning progress. Let's just say there was a lot of sanding.

One mistake I made (out of a few) was that after applying the resin (perhaps also the fiberglass) I did not set it down correctly to dry. I put it on one side which caused the piece to "set" unevenly, caving on one side of bottom area (the edges that sit along the neck) and bulging on the other.

I'd love some feedback on the piece. It's not for any sort of cosplay, it was merely meant as a practice item for the helmet I'm working on.

Attachments

• IMG_20150616_100536444.jpg
    IMG_20150616_100536444.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 144
  • IMG_20150616_100555967.jpg
    IMG_20150616_100555967.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 129
  • IMG_20150623_162537186_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150623_162537186_HDR.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 148
  • plague comp1.jpg
    plague comp1.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 138
  • plague comp2.jpg
    plague comp2.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 145
looks good. you may have been able to cut down on sanding if you had bracing down inside the nose

Looks fantastic, very well done, especially as its a sort of 'first attempt'
I agree with tahu653, though. Perhaps you should look into bracing and how to prevent warping in general for future builds. :)

Thanks guys for the input and good words!

looks good. you may have been able to cut down on sanding if you had bracing down inside the nose

I looked into what you mean by "bracing down" but I haven't been able to figure out what precisely you mean. My sanding problems came from a mixture of still learning how to work with bondo. For example, my first batch of bondo turned into trash before I was able to get two applications on the piece because of A) too much hardener B) working in 100+ degree weather C) working slow. It also didn't help that I was working with a really harsh threshold and trying to establish a rounded edge. With the harsh edges, I did eventually give up and made that into the "seam" of the piece. I used hot glue to make stitches (hand painted brown) which is what you see on the left side of the mask.

A question I have, semi off-topic, is it safe to put a layer of fiberglass over a layer of rondo in a piece that's going to be worn? I ask because of the daedric helmet I'm doing. I filled the horns with rondo as there was no real way to get fiberglass into the tips and I wound up with a bit of rondo where I initially planned to use fiberglass mat.

You guys have been a huge boast to a beginners confidence. Thanks again for the input and information you've made available.

its more of "Bracing" down in the nose, more to push and keep it out. as for the resin on rondo, i have no idea, never tried it myself. may be a good idea to get some scrap rondo, and test it on that first

I built the ancient nord armor set from Skyrim and to brace the inside of the horns, I used self expanding foam that you can get from Walmart. If you build the pep with hot glue, it doesn't warp. However, I did try a pepped piece glued with super glue and it warped like crazy. But I like the foam because it hardly weighs anything, AND it's super rigid. You can pick up my helmet by the horns and it feels super sturdy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back