Taping problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

noobsnip3r

So i am having trouble taping the front and back of the chest piece together for my halo armor. Everytime I try to tape it together the tape separates from the one piece of cardstock. Is there anyway to fix this issue or just wait until later on to tape it together?

You're going to need to be more specific. Are you working on your armour in foam or resin? If resin, is this issue occurring pre- or post-resin? Which torso file are you using?

You're going to need to be more specific. Are you working on your armour in foam or resin? If resin, is this issue occurring pre- or post-resin? Which torso file are you using?

It is a resin piece and it is pre resin it just wont stay together because of the weight of the piece Im trying to attach should I dissamble the piece im attaching and reattach it piece by piece you think?

- - - Updated - - -

I would suggest using hot glue if you're at the pepakura phase.

I plan on doing hot glue for my next piece because using scotch tape sucks

It is a resin piece and it is pre resin it just wont stay together because of the weight of the piece Im trying to attach. Should I dissamble the piece im attaching and reattach it piece by piece you think?

You still haven't answered the question regarding which torso piece exactly it is you're assembling. If I know exactly what you're working on I can give you some decent advice, but otherwise, I might suggest using cold-melt glue only to secure the two pieces together using a stiff, rigid piece of cardboard or perhaps some popsicle sticks.

Ah, the Mk VI. I have some experience with this armour set, so I'll do my best to offer some advice.

Firstly, I wouldn't bother with the lower-detail versions as final pieces. If you're trying to get the best out of your costume, I would advise putting in a little extra effort and working with a higher-detail file such as THIS one. Putting in a little extra work will grant much better payoffs later on, so use the basic file as a size tester and then construct a better version later on when you're more confident.

As for supporting: the file I linked includes basic support struts. If you're concerned, you could cut some wooden dowel to length and use that along with a small spot of cold-melt hot glue to secure them in place, and keep your work nice and strong while you resin it. Otherwise, glue down some popsicle sticks to flat areas to make sure they don't bow and buckle during resining. I'd also advise against hardening your work in two pieces - this increases the risk of your two halves not mating up correctly when you're done. Harden your work up and then cut it up - you'll have a lot more success.

May I inquire as to why you are taping together a pep model? If I am interpreting correctly what you are saying, you shouldn't tape the card stock together, it should be glued with either hot glue or super/crazy glue. Trying to resin coat a piece that is taped together will most likely cause the tape's adhesive properties to be eaten away, and the whole model will fall apart.

May I inquire as to why you are taping together a pep model?

I'm pretty sure the user in question meant that the model is being created in two halves, as opposed to fixing the entire model together with tape - however, I'll echo your suggestions that it's best to use either a decent craft adhesive or hot glue to assemble models.

I'm pretty sure the user in question meant that the model is being created in two halves, as opposed to fixing the entire model together with tape - however, I'll echo your suggestions that it's best to use either a decent craft adhesive or hot glue to assemble models.

Ah, figured that might be the case as well, just thought I'd voice my concern if that wasn't the case!

Sorry I am just now replying but I was building the entire model out of tape but I have now switched to krazy glue because it is 10x better at least.

I was building the entire model out of tape

Ah. Not a good idea at all.

I have now switched to krazy glue because it is 10x better at least.

Much better. I personally prefer working with contact adhesives (UHU All-Purpose is my glue of choice, but there are alternatives) over hot glue, since there's a tendency for hot glue to cause issues later on if you need to sand down an oblique angle and end up having to dig out your hot glue before any filler will adhere to it.

Good luck with your build.

Much better. I personally prefer working with contact adhesives (UHU All-Purpose is my glue of choice, but there are alternatives) over hot glue, since there's a tendency for hot glue to cause issues later on if you need to sand down an oblique angle and end up having to dig out your hot glue before any filler will adhere to it.

Good luck with your build.
I tried hot glue but I just couldnt get a flush seal before the glue tried because my hot glue gun is a low temp one so super glue was my only real option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back