The Great Experiment-Or, How To Build Armor Without Really Trying...(Much)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peter my theory (since I was at work when it failed), is that it simply got unbalanced and fell over and off the print bed. With this piece I'll have to use the full auto support function instead of the custom supports I used.

Oh yeah Critchley this can easily happen. Sometimes it's a print falling over, sometimes the motor steps over and starts laying down plastic in empty space.

So I have to hold off on more plastic for the moment, but I have got these done up:

12235456_912143022172999_1583942521_o.jpg

All the finger plates, and the main hand plates. I had to reprint the hand plates and scale them up 125% because the original sizing was too small.

12250331_912143195506315_528606791_o.jpg

Seen here.

12235613_912141668839801_2011758677_o.jpg

I bought a face shield from work, I'm going to use this for the helmet visor.
I like it because its curved along two axes, and cheap (employee discount, anyway).

Does anyone have suggestions for translucent paint?

12248472_912141678839800_624839534_o.jpg

It came with the regular head mount, briefly considered making it the helmet support system.
But I've already put the work into making the karate helmet work, anyway.
I'll be cutting/fitting the visor tomorrow most likely.

The face shield look like one I just saw at Harbor Freight for $15. My friend used to tint his glasses himself a long time ago. He used to dip the lenses in to heated food coloring. I could be wrong but I'll ask him and get back to you. Sweet build so far. Wish i could make mine as clean as you.

The face shield look like one I just saw at Harbor Freight for $15. My friend used to tint his glasses himself a long time ago. He used to dip the lenses in to heated food coloring. I could be wrong but I'll ask him and get back to you. .

Thanks! keep me posted.

Got the visor installed last night, it was slow going but I had enough tools on hand to get it done.

12236703_912439168810051_1526839721_o.jpg

12255210_912439172143384_712997776_o.jpg

Very nice. Can't see all details because of the coloring, but it looks really cool.

Hey man looking really good. I just recently bought the Flashforge Creator Pro and I am absolutely loving 3d printing so far. It's so awesome. Sometimes I just sit and watch it work. I ran into a couple of problems but they're common and fixed very quickly.

Are you going to share the stl files anytime soon? This is one of the reasons I wanted to buy a printer was this thread and seeing other people print Master Chief. I've worked in pep and eva foam but I really like this method too!

Hey man looking really good. I just recently bought the Flashforge Creator Pro and I am absolutely loving 3d printing so far. It's so awesome. Sometimes I just sit and watch it work. I ran into a couple of problems but they're common and fixed very quickly.

Are you going to share the stl files anytime soon? This is one of the reasons I wanted to buy a printer was this thread and seeing other people print Master Chief. I've worked in pep and eva foam but I really like this method too!

The helmet I can't take credit for, thats thank to this guy here. As far as the other pieces, I'm just importing the pep files to Blender, then chunking to fit my build space. All credit for those files are to the Archive. Any pep file can be exported as an .obj, I think it's an option under the "file" tab in Pepakura. I do have the forearms done and will be updating this build later once they're assembled.

I've saw that on thingiverse, nice to see it in action. I've done a couple things like kylo ren's lightsaber hilt, and a destiny ghost.

Looks really good. Is that in PLA or ABS? What are your infill and shell settings? I'm curious how durable and strong your pieces are, and how confident you would be wearing them to a convention or taking a hit.

I've saw that on thingiverse, nice to see it in action. I've done a couple things like kylo ren's lightsaber hilt, and a destiny ghost.

Looks really good. Is that in PLA or ABS? What are your infill and shell settings? I'm curious how durable and strong your pieces are, and how confident you would be wearing them to a convention or taking a hit.

It's abs, and I solidify the models in blender to 2 or 3 mm. Now I don't click the "even thickness" option because that tends to make spikes and glitches. The helmet I used a 10% infill as recommended by the author. The forearms are the first pieces I did myself and I plan to reinforce the thin areas before wearing. I don't plan on taking any hits lol but if I did I think it'd just cause some minor cracking if it was like an accidental fall or something. I had a scrap piece that I bent and hit just to see how tough it is and it did alright.

Haha gotcha. I do my prop stuff with two shells and 25 infill

Would you mind uploading or sending me the files? I dont know how to use blender. Id appreciate it

Haha gotcha. I do my prop stuff with two shells and 25 infill

Would you mind uploading or sending me the files? I dont know how to use blender. Id appreciate it

Like I can, but I partitioned the pieces to fit in a 20cm cubed build volume. Will that work for your printer? All I did was export the pep files direct with a minimal amount of alteration.

Love your work so far on the 3d printing. I hope that eventually I can build my armor on one but have to wait to get my new one.

Ok so had to take a break, finances kept me from buying filament for a while there.
But thanks to generous Christmas gifts, I have purchased 6 reels of filament at once.
This will get me through the upper arms and most of, if not all the way, through the chest/back/waist/codpiece phase.

But I've got the left upper arm printed out and assembled, and most of the right:

20151225_214635.jpg

And now I've also got every piece of the Halo 4 MC solidified/chopped in Blender for printing.
As far as the fabrication goes all that is left is the slicing and actual printing.
But of course, problems will always rear their head and I may have to fiddle with a few of them regardless.

And of course, being me after all, I'm already thinking ahead to my next project.....

FalloutPowerArmorFrameInitial.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back