DOT Helmet build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah. I use a two-part polyester-based resin from MB Fibreglass' eBay store. Epoxy resins are a different thing entirely.

What is the working time on it?

Bondo brand fiberglass resin has a working time of about 4-7 mins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the working time on it?

Bondo brand fiberglass resin has a working time of about 4-7 mins.

Stock answer, I know, but working time is highly dependant upon a number of factors:

- How large is your batch? Larger batches may cure more slowly.
- How thinly are you spreading it? Thinner batches get more access to local heat, which accelerates the curing process.
- What's your resin/hardener ratio? A 'faster' batch (with more hardener) will cure more quickly - at the risk of cracking due to shrinking.
- What's the local ambient temperature? Hotter local temperatures (a hot day) will accelerate the chemical reaction fuelling the curing, whereas a colder day will adversely affect the cure time.

Honestly speaking, most polyester resins (of which the Bondo brand is a type) have more or less the same chemical composition, meaning they'll feature roughly the same working time. I'd still urge you to work in smaller batches, naturally, but if you're finding that your resin isn't curing properly I can suggest aiming a hair dryer at your piece - or, constructing a 'hot box' out of a fan-assisted space heater and some MDF.

It's about 95f degrees in my garage and 99 outside. I make tons of one ounce batches.

I corrected the top and was able to get it quite close on both sides.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439497160.049475.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439497175.302245.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439497183.717748.jpg

I mean the gaps that I showed in a pervious post. Still far from done.

Is there a paint color guide on the forum? Like colors by brand for master chief. I would like to use montana paint but will use others, I just want it perfect

A little research tells me that people generally use Krylon's 'Italian Olive' colouring to achieve the Master Chief's unique drab, but you could also use Rustoleum's American Accents Oregano.

Unfortunately here in Australia we don't have the variety of colours that you have in the states but I used rust oleum camouflage army green. But be warned it is very very flat paint if your not after a gloss finish.

I was able to find this on the forum
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439570064.858674.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439570383.431044.jpg

I ended up purchasing
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439570090.506451.jpg
From montana paints storm, it's close enough for my use and it is awesome paint

If you are trying to find the color code to match the paint this should help:
For a perfect match master chief
The color is r:89 g:120 b:89
Hexcdecimal code: 597859
Credit is due to someone who is banned (finnishspartan)

I got this in the mail today. Hopefully it will allow me to add in the small details I want.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439603389.479530.jpg

I haven't been able to work on the helmet between the rain and school.
However my sons birthday is coming up so I made/painted a gun from his favorite movie guardians of the galaxy.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440822399.520410.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1440822722.527000.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440822735.460890.jpg

I absolutely love it when people make functioning 'things' out of costume and cosplay props, so this is fantastic.

From first-hand experience, Apoxie Sculpt is magical. You're gonna have a good time with that stuff. You'll end up mixing a lot more than you need the first few times, but you'll eventually be able to judge how much a particular detail or shape is going to need.

Another method you might want to try is just using styrene sheet for flat details and sharp angles. It's just a lot easier and will end up being cheaper than using a ton of your Apoxie Sculpt.

I absolutely love it when people make functioning 'things' out of costume and cosplay props, so this is fantastic.

From first-hand experience, Apoxie Sculpt is magical. You're gonna have a good time with that stuff. You'll end up mixing a lot more than you need the first few times, but you'll eventually be able to judge how much a particular detail or shape is going to need.

Another method you might want to try is just using styrene sheet for flat details and sharp angles. It's just a lot easier and will end up being cheaper than using a ton of your Apoxie Sculpt.

I've never heard of Styrene sheet. I looked it up. Do you mold it with your hands like the apoxie? Does it stick or do you have to use a sort of glue with it?

Thanks

I've never heard of Styrene sheet. I looked it up. Do you mold it with your hands like the apoxie? Does it stick or do you have to use a sort of glue with it?

Thanks

Here's a link
to the styrene I buy. It's literally just rigid plastic sheets. You can use it to form curves, but it's mostly used for hard edges and whatnot. You need super glue or a model glue to adhere it to itself or other surfaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back