DOT Helmet build

Status
Not open for further replies.

hacxor

I want a functional motorcycle helmet to wear and have built and scraped a few tries. I have been searching this site for information for more than 4 years off and on(more off than anything).

First attempt, for the helmet, was with foam. I cannot figure that out to make it look legit.

Now i am doing a pep of Mark VI.

photo 1-1.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 2.JPG

I have no idea why it keeps putting the pictures sideways.
I have finished cutting them and folding them.

Now I'm on to glueing them...

I'll try to keep this post updated.

And also can someone reupload the noble 6 Helmet and gear or at least show me a link that works. I have searched a lot for a pep fie but the files are missing. This will be my second build after this helmet. and then my third build will be for my son. He is 4yo and would love to have something built.

Thanks for the great site and the wealth of knowledge.

Question. Do y'all recommend resin that has fiber glass in it or using the fiberglass sheets with resin? Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really dislike having to discourage people from builds like this, but it bears repeating every time a project like this comes up:

We do not recommend users attempt to use their cosplay as safety gear.

Put quite simply: nothing you create at home will meet with the rigorous standards safety gear is put through to ensure it will protect you. Fibreglass will not withstand the punishment of any road accident - users frequently complain of their fibreglassed components shattering or cracking after light impacts, and I'd shudder to think of what razor-sharp fragments of shattered fibreglass will do to the wearer should (heaven forbid) the wearer have a road accident. Likewise, modifying safety gear is ill-advised, as this can compromise the integrity of the piece.

Feel free to build and create a fantastic costume to be proud of and display - we encourage your creativity here on the 405th, but one thing we never support is a user seeking to create safety gear from cosplay projects. Please reconsider using your project on the road.

As for your requests: Mk V helmet files exist in our Archive and are freely accessible - please feel tree to search for them at your leisure. I would also recommend fibreglass tissue used in conjunction with polyester resin to harden your Pepakura forms.

I agree with what Chernobyl said about not using your cosplay as safety gear.if I recall correctly there was a company that made Master Chief motorcycle helmet that looked pretty decent, I wouldn't risk my personal safety just to save some money or have a completely accurate helmet.

I really dislike having to discourage people from builds like this, but it bears repeating every time a project like this comes up:

Put quite simply: nothing you create at home will meet with the rigorous standards safety gear is put through to ensure it will protect you. Fibreglass will not withstand the punishment of any road accident - users frequently complain of their fibreglassed components shattering or cracking after light impacts, and I'd shudder to think of what razor-sharp fragments of shattered fibreglass will do to the wearer should (heaven forbid) the wearer have a road accident. Likewise, modifying safety gear is ill-advised, as this can compromise the integrity of the piece.

Feel free to build and create a fantastic costume to be proud of and display - we encourage your creativity here on the 405th, but one thing we never support is a user seeking to create safety gear from cosplay projects. Please reconsider using your project on the road.

As for your requests: Mk V helmet files exist in our Archive and are freely accessible - please feel tree to search for them at your leisure. I would also recommend fibreglass tissue used in conjunction with polyester resin to harden your Pepakura forms.

Im sorry i really didn't explain it well. Thank you and i know you are just trying to keep everyone safe.

In my state you do not have to ride with a helmet, it is up to me if i want to wear one. with that being said, this is an older helmet and will only be used for special circumstances. It would no longer be DOT compliant after i do anything to it anyways. I would never think that what i would build would hold up in any type of accident. I have actually been involved in one, and it was pretty bad...safety first!

I actually found the Noble helmet i was looking for after i posted. It was hidden in someones post as a concept helmet. The halo Wiki needs to be updated.

But after this build i will be needing some help in sizing a set of armor for my son which is 4. We are going to our first comic con in 2 weeks and we are excited!

and yes I was not able to go into the file Archive, but now with your sig i feel better. Well hopefully i can start posting some major differences soon.

Updates:
I made 3 parts of the pep helmet. All are made as full size.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437162148.982472.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437162158.264679.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437162168.713668.jpg

I sanded the helmet down. I also got a gold visor.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437162204.851598.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437162213.284377.jpg

And y'all say it takes a year to build a full suit. Pfft

I guess this is perfect for my insomnia...

Little tidbit of info on this; most higher end helmets are indeed made of fiberglass (the shell that is), however they're using many more layers than what we would use for a cosplay build, and I agree that no one should attempt to build one for use as safety equipment. The company's that are building fiberglass helmets are also using EPS as the main component for deceleration of momentum to protect your skull (i.e. what primarily cushions your head if you take a spill and hit your helmet to pavement), with the shell being the component that protects the EPS and keeps you bouncing (which is actually a good thing), as well as shaped to provide decent aerodynamics.

Once again, I completely agree no one should build one from scratch and expect it to be useful in case of a crash.

There is and company that has created a MC helmet that is DOT approved. Costs around $800 and is a modular (flip face).

They put a lot of time and money into it to make sure it meets at least the DOT standard for safety, and I mean a LOT, especially money.

I have seen a few people modify DOT helmets to MK VI, though it makes it heavy, not at all aerodynamic, and not well ventilated. I wouldn't recommend it, but hey, it's your project. It would be damned cool to have one to use when I ride lol.

Keep up the build though, it does look like a good start.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Little tidbit of info on this; most higher end helmets are indeed made of fiberglass (the shell that is), however they're using many more layers than what we would use for a cosplay build, and I agree that no one should attempt to build one for use as safety equipment. The company's that are building fiberglass helmets are also using EPS as the main component for deceleration of momentum to protect your skull (i.e. what primarily cushions your head if you take a spill and hit your helmet to pavement), with the shell being the component that protects the EPS and keeps you bouncing (which is actually a good thing), as well as shaped to provide decent aerodynamics.

Once again, I completely agree no one should build one from scratch and expect it to be useful in case of a crash.

There is and company that has created a MC helmet that is DOT approved. Costs around $800 and is a modular (flip face).

They put a lot of time and money into it to make sure it meets at least the DOT standard for safety, and I mean a LOT, especially money.

I have seen a few people modify DOT helmets to MK VI, though it makes it heavy, not at all aerodynamic, and not well ventilated. I wouldn't recommend it, but hey, it's your project. It would be damned cool to have one to use when I ride lol.

Keep up the build though, it does look like a good start.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

If you took the time to look at the pictures, you would see that I am modifying a DOT helmet, and like I said I will not be relying on this helmet for crash or protection really. Only using for special slow rides. Whatever though, it's my build and I do what I want. I don't condone someone else to do this nor do I think this forum would condone this.

Sorry I got sidetracked with finals. Here it is fully fiberglassed. In most places I doubled the fiberglass.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438916357.818376.jpg

Now on to bondo and shaping! Fun fun fun! I really can't wait!

Put on a 3rd and 4th layer of fiberglass today.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438975985.666903.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1438975998.681704.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438976011.699318.jpg

I'm also using this fiberglass sheet.
I found it easier to work with but I'm not sure if its the best/strongest. Maybe a vet can chime in.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438976079.103519.jpg

Question, some of the areas of resin will not fully dry. What is the best way to fix it? I found coating with hardener does not work. Is it best to apply another layer of resin over the whole helmet?

Poly based or was it normal epoxy?
Poly needs a lack of air to cure along with the catalyst.

I used the bondo brand stuff and I used some filler-primer to seal it ... the main glassing was hard but the top was tacky.

this worked well.
Ive gone back to normal 2 part as its less picky .

Yes I used the bondo brand resin.
Should I just run with it and start the primer and bondo filler process or put something on it?
What do you recommend?

I dont know as I have never pep'ed a part.

I suggest you cover a small part in paint and see if in a few hours how solid it gets......
then cover it all If it does harden up... else scrap it away with a putty knife If the paper can handle the forces .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back