Looking for any Ideas for a Magnum Holster

Status
Not open for further replies.

harican89

Hey guys,

since iam redoing my odst armor iam looking for a method to carry my m6h around without holding it every time.
the problem is: i dont want to get rid of it by not knowing. there are always some creeps on cons who wants to steal your holster weapons. Actually my friend is one of them for the sake of fun.

so... iam looking for a 3d printable weapon holster. except for the sealing thingy i prefer these specs:

1. free-hanging or most viewable weapon inside the holster
  2. interlooking of the weapon by a two step method (band, magnet, twist, what ever)
  3. slim and easy to print.

i was thinking of something like a small ball socket where a piece of the weapon is place into. after a short twist (30-45°) the weapon is secured. so place into the socket, twist and tada... weapon holster. you can compare this with a bottlecap

but i cant figure it out how to design this a for magnum without attaching some kind of a bolt assembly directly to the weapon. :-/

I actually use a cheap chinese holster where my odst magnum fits in had to do only a small mod on it to let it fit the extension but your normal 3d ptinted magnum fits perfect.

I know someone that did this with a anchoring system I'll look and see if I can't find his build so you can take a look at it.

You could possibly use Velcro on the side of your m6 and on the side of your leg piece. However it does not look very nice when you draw the m6 for people can see the Velcro (even if it is grey). You could use magnets if you have REALLY, REALLY strong ones (I believe that is what is used in the real Halo universe but I am not sure)

I used rare earth magnets. I tried a test bit mounting the magnets on the inside and it wasn't strong enough, an old hard drive magnet might work better. So I put them in the outside. I'll paint them later and hopefully they won't chip too bad. I'm not too fussed if they chip as I'll have my asult rifle in hand most if the time and the pistol will be on my hip. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

I'm doing a master chief armor and I have thought of this and decided to use magnets to hold the pistol to the thigh armor. And to make sure no one swipes it off me, I drilled a hole in the end of the pistol grip to secure a lanyard from the pistol to my belt. Even just with walking, there is a chance, slim since I'm using strong magnets, that it may fall but I don't want to take the chance.
$_57.JPG

For my ODST armor, I did a stack of neodymium magnet inside the leg (there was a lot of room in there) and a
flat stock (with holes) neodymium magnet flush fit on the side of the ODST magnum pistol. I had to add a plastic
"J" hook made from scrap armor plate which the pistol trigger rested on. This provided enough lateral stability so
the pistol didn't "flop" side to side (the handle moving in and out). The magnets themselves provided enough grip
to hold the pistol in place, it was just the handle flop movement that broke the magnetic adhesion when I didn't
have the hook in place.

The real problem you run into is the fact you have a barrier of plastic between you and the magnets. Now if you
attached the magnets directly to the armor surface, it grabs like crazy and is very hard to pull free because the
ND magnets are so amazingly strong.

You could perhaps attach a metal plate to the leg on the outside, and that might work as well. You just
need enough metal and magnet strength to have the prop not pull free from regular movement. With the
"J" hook on my leg, I could actually jump vertical and jog a bit and the pistol would stay secure.

Pulling the pistol was a simple vertical pull from the leg.

The real problem you run into is the fact you have a barrier of plastic between you and the magnets. Now if you
attached the magnets directly to the armor surface, it grabs like crazy and is very hard to pull free because the
ND magnets are so amazingly strong.
Not necessarily. At magnets4less, you can get them in varying strengths. And, if you have one stronger magnet and a series of weaker stabilization magnets, then freeing the weapon involves just twisting it a little to the front or rear to break the polar pull.

I use 7 lb magnets for my Mandalorian armor and I can pull the chest plates off really well to "flash" the camera.

Are those ND or ceramic magnets?

On my Sean Bradley ODST armor, I was connecting _through_ the armor plate, and not making a
surface to surface connection. The thickness of the armor really had an impact of the connection
strength.

Didn't realize they made ND magnets with different strengths.

Most of mine were off the rack items from Ace Hardware, except for the one with the screw
holes in it. I initially tried ceramic magnets but the strength was abysmal. But again, I wasn't
surface mounting the magnets on the armor, just on the pistol side.

the idea of a magnet sounds good. hot glue a really strong magnet to the inside of the pistol and one on the hip of your armor. i might try that...

I use 3. In a N S N config on the leg and a S N S on the firearm. the idea is that it aligns them and prevents rotation on the leg

Something I was thinking about for my build were magnets in the hip and gun themselves (They are magnetic in the game). But as far as security goes, I was considering using a magnetic alarm like ones used for security cabinets. Just figuring out the on/off switch on a suit is the trick. I use some at home for the doors and windows in case if my kid wanders off without someone seeing, they work well.

If you use Hall effect or reed mag switches they may be * jammed * by the magnets used to hold the magnum
perhaps a CDS cell or other optical sensor OR use a" roller microswitch".

I had a durp moment !

IF you use raw metal magnets exposed you could just run a current to them so that the firearms magnets make a loop.

magnum mount.jpg

via a relay it can invert the logic to set off a alarm...... hehe magsafe for magnums.

Kydex for the holder part. Then screw it on.
Make sure to have a tensioner screw in it. Look at real gun holsters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back