[FINISHED] Fallout Power Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Major update: I'm finished!

After seeing it all on I'm both glad and disappointed in a few ways, the main issue being that the bottom half is not bulky enough, and the top half may be too bulky. Anyway I don't have time to ramble today, let me know what you think, as per usual, here are some awful-quality pictures.

NGI7ggK.jpg8H4catY.jpg

Try to remember this was rushed, and was finished 1 week before my driving lessons start, and with 1 glue stick and a quarter of a sheet of foam left. I wanted to keep it low budget and avoid spending any more as I was so close. As a first build I'm happy, I'll learn from the mistakes I made, and the next project will not be as rushed, if that time ever comes.

I plan on getting better pictures, and taking it for a walk around MCM for an hour or two. I'll probably go over with a clear coat of spray paint before I do that, and I do have glove-plates, I just couldn't find them at the time. Keep an eye out for more pictures.

Thanks guys, hope to hear some feedback.

Everything quoted below is the old original post.

I do have a job, so I'm fairly busy most of the week. I have 96 days to complete this suit. Because of that, I'm going to be rushing this. There will be many inaccuracies and flaws, but considering the game is not out yet, I'm guessing not many people are that familiar with the suits design anyway. The important thing is that it's recognisable.

For the record, I'm based in the UK, so buying casts is probably out of the question, and my choice of supplies is probably limited compared to your own.
I'm not sure if this is against the rules by the way but I've posted this already on TheRPF, but I spent a lot of years lurking here, and felt like sharing with you guys too.

rSLGNXy.jpg
This is the view from the front. I've replaced the beige plates on side of the chest with the reversed foam to give a different texture, that's me being lazy. I haven't got my hands on any handles yet, but they're on the list and will be added eventually. The big square chestplate as a whole is removable. In fact it's basically impossible to put on without removing the chest plate and the armpit-panels.Beneath is a basic harness-type deal that's part of the backpack. The front plate is attached by two clips and 2 strips of velcro to keep it straight. As a bonus, the front plate has plenty of storage space on the inside, possibly for fans or supplies.

PlJlv3k.jpg
This is just a more close up view of the shoulder pad. Added a few extra foam details to cover up a few blemishes. I have no idea where the dent came from, but I actually like it. This thing is gonna need some battle damage, so I'll leave it as is. The rings were made separately from foam layered between two pieces of Grey-board* and smoothed off with some filler. The stripes are just thing strip of EVA foam, sealed up with Caulk.**

O2f9Lsy.jpg
This is the view from the back. The majority of this was actually made from a sign. I'll explain more below.
More usage of caulk here, which I'll explain also. For the two canisters on the backpack I just sliced a water bottle down the middle. The circular handle is in progress, and the pipes, handles and hoses will be purchased and attached later on. (Should I add accessories before or after paint?) More pointless foam details to make it look interesting of course, no time to be accurate.

I'm currently running low on supplies, but I'm paid today so I'm ordering some more foam, glue & clips and will be working on the suit more next week.

That's all I have for now, I'm probably going to work on the arms next. I'll explain a few things below before I leave you guys though.

*Grey-Board / the sign: Basically I work in a shop, and every few months we change all of our displays and posters, and the old stuff gets sent off for recycling. A lot of cardboard goes to waste here, but what caught my eye is a different type of cardboard. This stuff is a sign that's part of the shop displays, made from thick 2mm card, it's like 20 sheets of cardstock that have been compressed into one slab of card. This stuff is tough, slightly flexible, lightweight, and best of all, it can be sanded. I can get it in like A1 sheets. So if you're wondering why my armour is covered in deals like "Save £10!", this is why. This stuff can be purchased if you're looking to try it out. I think they call it "Grey-board". It's basically what I salvaged from work, but it's a lot nicer to use without the shiny printed advertising crap all over it. It's worth a look. If you struggle to find it, I'm pretty sure it's what artists use to mount paper onto to give it a solid backing.

**Caulk:
Not sure if you guys use this much, but for those who don't know, it comes in a tube and is used for sealing caps in corners. For example, your bathtub probably has a silicone strip around it sealing the gap between the bathtub and the wall. It's similar to that, it's flexible so it works great on foam.

Advice, constructive criticism, tips and tricks is welcome and appreciated here.

Thanks for your time guys,

Attachments

• Leaked+fallout+4+t+60b+power+armor+the+source+of+the_c2558b_5594111.jpg
    Leaked+fallout+4+t+60b+power+armor+the+source+of+the_c2558b_5594111.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 7,899
Re: Fallout 4 T-60 Power Armour. [FOAM]

I also live in the UK.. Supplies aren't limited at all.
Are you struggling to find something specific?

Also, I absolutely love Fallout, and the new T-60. I'll be interested to see what you can manage within the short time you have given yourself. :)

I also live in the UK.. Supplies aren't limited at all.
Are you struggling to find something specific?

Also, I absolutely love Fallout, and the new T-60. I'll be interested to see what you can manage within the short time you have given yourself. :)

Where do you get your Foam? I see many US users going to some local stores and picking up multiple types and thickness's of EVA foam. I can only find a few types using eBay and Amazon, and 70% of them have diamond pattern on one side and the rough gripped pattern on the other,. Of course I need at least one side of it to be smooth, but I've only found a few sellers of smooth mats so far.

Usually I find that EVA isn't a popular foam in the UK, instead people opt for 'plastazote' which many people have said (including myself) that it feels just like EVA foam, and essentially is the same thing.
Hopefully you'll be able to find what you need now. :)
I see this site being brought up a lot, however I'd definitely check eBay too. http://www.thamesvalleysupplies.co.uk/rubber-item.php?key=261&time=1339708906

Hello There I Am new to The 405th and cosplay in general and I would like to know where I can get the template to do any fallout Cosplay power Armour
Thank you sooo much

Kind Regards
Hanno

Hello There I Am new to The 405th and cosplay in general and I would like to know where I can get the template to do any fallout Cosplay power Armour
Thank you sooo much

Kind Regards
Hanno

I don't have any templates, I'm doing this all by hand and drawing most of my templates as I go.

Just use the search bar, or even use google. There are pepakura files out there for some models of Power Armour.

Solid work so far. I think you could use a better camera, perhaps, I can't discern much of the surface finish or edge details.

Solid work so far. I think you could use a better camera, perhaps, I can't discern much of the surface finish or edge details.

Hey Vrog! Thanks for the post. I couldn't agree more about the camera, using my phone for now, in future I'll use the SO's slightly better phone, and by the time I'm painting I'll have picked up a decent camera for the convention.

We actually spoke briefly on Reddit regarding the leaked reference picture I believe. Small world.

Mini-Update

I have made progress on a helmet, but right now it's a giant blob of filler, so I won't bother sharing until it's looking like something.

I have rushed, sealed & primed both arms. Ready for paint.
KRuaRsW.jpg

Big update time:

I decided to hold off on any more suit progress until the helmet was at the painting stage, I felt the suit was coming together on schedule, but didn't want the Helmet to be a last minute rush. I can rush foam, I can't rush filler.

Anyway I went with a non-toxic method here. The reinforcement is similar to the fibreglass method, but with PVA in place of resin, and enevlope paper in place of Fibreglass. The filler was a basic tube of "Instant Plaster Filler". I was concerned about the strength but It's basically solid. Very happy with the result.

FC94LNP.jpg

As you can see, the three mouth-pieces on the front have been removed, I have bottle-lids and accessories put aside for those later, everything else has been smoothed out quite nicely. there are still little holes and scratches that need to be filled, but I need a bit of battle damage anyway.

I'm about to go and prime it now, as a coat of color is useful for locating mistakes. Once smoothed, I'll add the mouth piece accessories, fill the gaps & smooth those off as well, then consider getting a coat of real paint done. I'll also need to locate some accessories, as there are a fair few on the helmet.

If I add paint soon, it will only be the base metallic coat, I won't be ageing & weathering until the entire suit is painted, I want the weathering to match up, so it makes sense to do it all at the same time.

I apologise for the picture quality. If you're seeing any messy parts of the filler I can assure you they are either going to be covered by accessories, or are from where sanding has gone through to the pepakura, it looks messy but is still smooth. It's hard to tell, which is why I want it primed.

UPDATE:
Here she is, primed. I have to say I'm really happy, with both the result, and the mistakes. A layer of primer has made it start to look real, but more importantly, it's ALOT easier to notice any mistakes or blemishes. So I'll be going back at it with the filler over the net day or two to fix some parts up, while working on the accessories too. Very pleased with how this is looking now.
EGRJYlt.jpg

Re: Fallout 4 Custom Power Armor & Helmet

Oh man I cant wait for the game and I cant wait for this armor to be finished I really wanna see this up and done not many of these are out there.

By going for the T-45D helmet, and having limited time, I don't really see how you're going to accomplish any of the T-60 armour. It looks very complicated. Personally if I were you I'd just go for a full T-45 suit, to avoid the completed custom suit looking shabby.

Unless you can make the suit look perfectly accurate, I reckon it'll end up looking like the T-45 anyway.

The helmet looks very good, though. Well done.

The T-60 is basically the T-45 just with more mass and armor. Don't discourage him look how far he has come.

The T-60 is basically the T-45 just with more mass and armor. Don't discourage him look how far he has come.

No, no. Discouragement was not my intention at all. If it does come across as discouragement, the fact remains that what I said was true.
Also, the T-60 is almost twice as big as the T-40. Everything looks completely different, the helmet especially. And as he's just gone for the T-45 helmet anyway, the finished product will be seen as a T-45 to the average person. So all I meant was its not too late to just focus on creating the T-45 and finish with a better result.

Thanks for the support, I've given it a metallic coat and I'm gonna go and blackwash it in a bit so it no longer looks like it's made of tin-foil. Everything is coming along nicely.

No, no. Discouragement was not my intention at all. If it does come across as discouragement, the fact remains that what I said was true.
Also, the T-60 is almost twice as big as the T-40. Everything looks completely different, the helmet especially. And as he's just gone for the T-45 helmet anyway, the finished product will be seen as a T-45 to the average person. So all I meant was its not too late to just focus on creating the T-45 and finish with a better result.
This guy gets it. Honestly due to my time limit, my thinking for this is "As long as it looks like Power Armor." Even if I had stuck to the original plan, it never would have really been T-60, as there are so many details between the armor plates and such in the T-60 that would've taken a very long time to replicate, not to mention it would probably compromise my mobility. Fallout 4 armor looks a lot bigger and bulkier than previous models, and that's kinda what I'm going for. The chest-piece and shoulders have already been made, using T-60 references, and it's certainly on the large side. When testing it I'd struggle to walk through a door without turning sideways, the shoulder span is pretty wide.

This thread used to be called a T-60 project, but it's been renamed to Custom. Another excuse for this I guess is that in Fallout 4 your armor parts are interchangeable. My arms, shoulders & chestpiece are all T-60(ish) and the Helmet is T-45. I'll use references from both for the rest of the suit, but the important thing is that it looks like Power Armour. I'd change my plan to Full T-45 if I hadn't already built the shoulders & chest.

Anyway thanks for the support man!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back