Spartan Locke BUILD (Impact Props)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys!

It has been SOOOO long since I've posted here, but I have been busy working on a new costume. This bad boy has been in the works since August of last year when the first commercial for the MC Collection was released. The helmet was designed by Vrogy over here on the forums and was based on that original trailer. The helmet was then 3d Printed by my buddy Brandon from Incyte Design Studios and shipped back to me! Now between now and then, 343 has changed the Locke helmet design a TON so I had to basically deface a large portion of the helmet to get it more accurate to the current in game model. So props to Vrogy for being able to design the original model the way he did (his ref pics were extremely blurry and he had to improvise on a lot of it!

Other then the helmet, which is now a resin cast, the rest of the costume was free handed out of EVA Foam (1/2 inch, 5mm, 3mm, and 2mm). I used high temp Hot Glue as my adhesive, which is actually a strategy in and of itself. I plan on using this costume to the Max, and the question is not if it will rip and tear - the question is when. When it does, I want it to be easily repairable and not ripping in the middle of a detailed section. The hot glue allows it to tear at the seams - which can easily be glued back together! I used a freehand technique called layering, where you build the basic structure out of half inch EVA foam, and layer the details on top with thinner craft foam.

The most Iconic thing about spartan Locke is the way his suit lights up, and I wanted to capture that effect as best I could. Therefore, after much research, I decided to go with EL lighting (Tape and Panels). The problem with EL tape and panels is that when you used the chemically colored versions, those colors don't match up - there are always slight differences in the color. SO! I went with the color white and decided to tint it to get my desired color, which was aqua blue. After further research and looking, I found the color I wanted on ebay (Blue Headlight Tint) and picked it up. I am very happy with the color!

As far as seeing out of the helmet, (You cant see through EL Panels) with the help of Paragon Props, I vacformed the dome above the visor and tinted it black. I will say that seeing out of this helmet is a pain, but the light up effect is worth it in my opinion.

Another thing that I wanted when planning the build was a lasting and powerful CO2 thruster pack simulator. I probably spent 3 months researching and talking with professors (as I am a Mechanical Engineering student at OU) about this, and the only valves I could find drew too much current for my AA 12v set up. I was about to call it quits when my buddy showed me his system and pointed me in the right direction. WE ARE WRITING UP A TUTORIAL AND PARTS LIST AS WE SPEAK! But i do want to say that our system can be very dangerous. Ive had pipes rupture and shoot liquid CO2 into the back of the torso - which could burn someone inside. Be sure to take safety precautions and talk to people who know what they are doing when it comes down to working with pressurized cryogenic gases.

COOL! So I just finished the build, I regret not posting current progress pictures here but I'm going to show you all of the wip pics from all the way back in August. The armor construction started at the beginning of May 2015, so that's not too long ago!

Commencing with the Photo DUMP! I hope you enjoy seeing the process I took to create my costume.

98B5C66C-C652-4841-A097-8A7C7C0CDE8D_zps0tluubra.JPG

Brad

That looks FANTASTIC! I think yours looks the best out of the Locke builds so far. I hope your posting more pics of the full suit 'cause that'd be great!

I've had the privilege of seeing Brad put this build together in person.

It truly is awesome!!!

Subbed, can't wait to see more!
Impeccable detail and symmetry, hope there are plenty more pics coming :thumbsup

Definitely looking forward for your thruster pack tutorial I'm interested in implementing that into my suit! Great work by the way.

Hi PinionProps, I don't know if you noticed but the last post on this thread was August 21. Here on the 405th, we generally frown on necroposting(posting on a thread more than 3 weeks inactive.); if you want to PM the owner of the thread that's great. But if you're just going to bump this dead thread to the top of the list and displace working threads with a 4 word compliment, please think twice. Thanks.

juan 117, please look at the previous post made by The BorosBoss. It clearly details necroposting. In answer to your question tough, he hand made his armor.

This is awesome! I'm working on one now and I've been looking for someone who is working on one. I love your work bro!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back