My first ever build: MK VI (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meatwad

Jr Member
Last week i was looking online for some cosplay ideas and stumbled across this amazing forum. As i read more and more, and watched tutorial after tutorial, i decided to jump in head first. It's been a dream of mine to have a set of spartan armor since the days of halo 1 on the original Xbox. I knew right away that i wanted to do the Mjonlir MK VI armor from Halo 3. I found a pep file on the halocostuming wikia and quickly got started.

20150720_220938-1_zpsqoaurlln.jpg

This is as far as i got in 3 days. After watching tutorial after tutorial, i noticed my helmet looked a lot different than a lot of the others. I was using the file uploaded by Robigenisis... i don't like it nearly as much as the Flyingsquirrel one, so last night i started over.

20150721_222245_zpsr6pazt3b.jpg

After an hour of sorting out printer issues and printing it all, this is what i got done. I can't wait for this weekend so i can stay up all night and work on it! So far this design is soooo much easier than the last and is more streamline so think I'll have less bondo work in the end. Let me know what you guys think of my prior pep and whatnot. I look forward to making progression and becoming a part of this community!

Attachments

• 20150720_220938-1_zpsqoaurlln.jpg
    20150720_220938-1_zpsqoaurlln.jpg
    415.2 KB · Views: 175
  • 20150721_222245_zpsr6pazt3b.jpg
    20150721_222245_zpsr6pazt3b.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 177
Re: My first ever build

This is a really great start to the pep process! :thumbsup Are you planning on using fiberglass resin afterwards?

This is a really great start to the pep process! :thumbsup Are you planning on using fiberglass resin afterwards?

Yeah, i plan on doing a thin coat or resin on the outside and then fiberglassing the inside. Then bondo the outside to smooth the edges. I'm trying to get the helm and chest done by halloween.

I do have one question for you master pepers out there. Should i bother doing a base coat of resin on the inside of my gear, or should i just fiberglass it? Would doing an extra coat first be a waste of time?

I do have one question for you master pepers out there. Should i bother doing a base coat of resin on the inside of my gear, or should i just fiberglass it? Would doing an extra coat first be a waste of time?

I'm no expert, but If you did a single coat of resin on the outside then moved to fibreglassing the inside there'd be no problem, unless you're using paper.
Make sure to include the visor whilst you resin/fibreglass. If that's not possible then brace it with popsicle sticks or reinforced cardboard. The top tends to droop causing the helmet to warp. Just a heads up. :)

You may have pep'd the visor, i'm not sure, but from the pics above it looks as if you left it out of your initial pep. It's always worth having bracing there, in case you haven't. :)

I will most likely just use supports in place of actually pepping the visor. My first coat of resin on the exterior should be thin enough to not saturate the paper and it shouldn't sag... hopefully lol. I'll add extra supports if i don't feel it's sturdy enough.

I will most likely just use supports in place of actually pepping the visor. My first coat of resin on the exterior should be thin enough to not saturate the paper and it shouldn't sag... hopefully lol. I'll add extra supports if i don't feel it's sturdy enough.

It'll droop, i promise. You can brace it before you fiberglass if you don't do it before you resin.

If i pep the visor, do i just skip over it when i resin the exterior?

Yeah, I suppose so. Or resin it and cut it/sand it later. Don't remove it until you've fiberglassed though. And obviously, don't fiberglass the visor. (;

Quick update:

I was able to do a little pep work tonight. Nothing spectacular, but it's progress. This weekend will prove to be much more productive.

20150722_220713_zpshgxulast.jpg

Attachments

• 20150722_220713_zpshgxulast.jpg
    20150722_220713_zpshgxulast.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 176

This is definitely the most time consuming part. Each one of these small pieces is taking me ages to cut and line up just right.

Take your time with it. The half an hour extra spent on folding the piece properly will save you hours later in bondo. I learnt that the hard way. I'm eager to see progress!

Yeah, i learned that with my first helmet i started. There were a lot of small gaps in corners. I'm a bit of a perfectionist so i hate seeing gaps and holes where they aren't supposed to be. I just can't wait to move on to the larger pieces. They're so much easier to deal with.

I have never worked with pep. What are you using to stick together?

I use fast drying Elmer's craft glue and a small paint brush to apply it. It makes it easier to apply a thin, even coat. I know people use a lot of different things though, hot glue, super glue. It's all preference really. I like my glue because i can firmly hold my pieces together for a few seconds and is already set enough to move on to the next. Plus, if i need to, i have a good minute or 2 where i can tear it apart if i don't like how it's lined up.

I have never worked with pep. What are you using to stick together?

As Meatwad said, It's all about personal preference.
You could even use PVA glue if you have the patience. However that's probably the worst glue for pep, but you could use it.

Awesome. I am thinking for my halo build I am going to try this. I have a feeling I am going to fail miserably but whatever Ill try. I wish I could post in my regiment to ask for local help but I cant. Do any regiments do build parties for tips and tutorials?

- - - Updated - - -

I use fast drying Elmer's craft glue and a small paint brush to apply it. It makes it easier to apply a thin, even coat. I know people use a lot of different things though, hot glue, super glue. It's all preference really. I like my glue because i can firmly hold my pieces together for a few seconds and is already set enough to move on to the next. Plus, if i need to, i have a good minute or 2 where i can tear it apart if i don't like how it's lined up.

Awesome! Thank you for the tips.

Awesome. I am thinking for my halo build I am going to try this. I have a feeling I am going to fail miserably but whatever Ill try. I wish I could post in my regiment to ask for local help but I cant. Do any regiments do build parties for tips and tutorials?

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome! Thank you for the tips.

You could always post in your regiment and see if the are any local guys to help. There are a TON of YouTube tutorials and tutorials here. That's how i learned. I've only been pepping for less than a week and already I've learned so much from the people on here.

You could always post in your regiment and see if the are any local guys to help. There are a TON of YouTube tutorials and tutorials here. That's how i learned. I've only been pepping for less than a week and already I've learned so much from the people on here.

I wanted to but it wont let me comment or post. Maybe I am still too new?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back