Epoxy resin Vs. Polyester resin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meatwad

Jr Member
I am seeking some insight from the masters here on the 405th. I have 3 small kids and really don't want to use polyester resin if i don't have to. I was wondering if anyone knows if i can use epoxy resin for rondo and fiberglassing. If so, are there any difference i should expect? If anyone has any insight i would be very appreciative.

I have used an epoxy resin for both rondo and glassing the inside of my helmet. Only big piece of caution/warning that I have (other than the standard safety practices) is know how long your resin takes to cure. Mine cures over 24 hours, and this made rondo and glassing a bit long. Personally, I would have preferred a quicker solution.

I also am wondering the same thing too! I've considered it for some time, and came across this video:

https://youtu.be/eJmB0yw3sOY

This one is a big help for my deliberation, and I hope it'll be helpful for you too. Best of luck!

Thanks. I've actually seen every one of Cereal's videos. He's my go to source for a lot of tutorials. I'm going to give it a shot with the epoxy resin i already have and see how it turns out. Hopefully I'll have my first helmet pepped by this weekend.

I'd avoid the epoxy as usually it does nothing but soak up into the fiberglass and adds no strength at all. < I've said that somewhere before.
It may have been poor resin/old resin, though, but in my experience it wasn't too good.

I'm curious, though, if epoxy doesn't turn out too well for you either have you looked into Aqua Cote or Jesmonite? I'm quite sure both are low toxicity and shouldn't be any problem.

Meatwad,

Have a look at my thread:
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=44842&page=4

I'm using Aqua Cote (initial resin) and Aqua Resin (fiberglass/bondo replacement) to do my armor. So far I'm pretty happy with how its going even though I was off with a rocky start. Using it indoors and even have my 8yr old daughter helping along. Love non/low-toxic alternatives.

I'm using Smooth-On EpoxAmite resin on my build and it's great - much better than polyester resin. Doesn't shrink, has no odor, and is harder than polyester resin. Although I haven't personally glassed with it yet, the online product description says it can be used with fiberglass.

I'm using Smooth-On EpoxAmite resin on my build and it's great - much better than polyester resin. Doesn't shrink, has no odor, and is harder than polyester resin. Although I haven't personally glassed with it yet, the online product description says it can be used with fiberglass.

I just glassed with it last night and today. It works like a dream. Used 102 hardner and it is in the mid seventies here. Cured up nicely.

I just glassed with it last night and today. It works like a dream. Used 102 hardner and it is in the mid seventies here. Cured up nicely.
Living with pets in the Pacific Northwest (i.e. it's cold outside most of the year and I can't kill my wife or pets with fumes), it's a requirement for me. It's perfect to harden the outside and to set the fiberglass (or carbon fiber/kevlar weave for me). To "slush" I like to use Smooth Cast 321. Finally, instead of bondo, I use Plasti-Paste II. The only real bondo thing I use is the spot putty.

I use Microballoons in place of Rondo. And normal 2 part 1:1 ratio epoxy for my uses unless I am asked to use otherwise.

The raceboat I worked on in college used it and I am used to it's qirks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back