Tips on build EVA guns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eldwain

So Im currently working on a ODST build, and while i do have a magnum, I was hoping to build something a little more hefty. I would really like to build a Halo 4 battle rifle, but i am unsure what materials to use. I though EVA foam might be to soft to do something that big and it might bend or warp. Any suggestions how what i might build it out of? Thanks!

just a thought, when it comes to weapons you could always reach out to individuals about commissioned pieces or try etsy.com for raw cast or finished product if unable to find a material your comfortable working with.

Yep, or LDF. Even pine would do. But I was thinking MDF.

Yeah Ill look into it.

just a thought, when it comes to weapons you could always reach out to individuals about commissioned pieces or try etsy.com for raw cast or finished product if unable to find a material your comfortable working with.

Nah, that's not for me. I like to build all my own stuff. plus money is on the tight side at the moment, lol. Thanks though.

I'm a big fan of foam weapons! Cheap, simple to build, and generally convention friendly (last con I went to, a lot of guys had to check in their realistic weapons that were wood/metal/plastic, and couldn't carry them around the con). For larger weapons with foam, adding a couple 1/2" dowels to the interior of the weapon will give them plenty of rigidity. Then some skillful paint work will bring the props to life!

I'm a big fan of foam weapons! Cheap, simple to build, and generally convention friendly (last con I went to, a lot of guys had to check in their realistic weapons that were wood/metal/plastic, and couldn't carry them around the con). For larger weapons with foam, adding a couple 1/2" dowels to the interior of the weapon will give them plenty of rigidity. Then some skillful paint work will bring the props to life!

So A EVA foam battle rifle with a nice PVC barrel running the whole length of the gun with hold up ok?

So A EVA foam battle rifle with a nice PVC barrel running the whole length of the gun with hold up ok?

I didn't even consider using pvc... that would probably work perfectly! You might also want to make some sort of support that runs down into the grip by the trigger, as it will likely need some extra rigidity as well.

I didn't even consider using pvc... that would probably work perfectly! You might also want to make some sort of support that runs down into the grip by the trigger, as it will likely need some extra rigidity as well.

Oh Yeah! add some grip and stock support, Genius! Awesome man, thanks for the help!

I used the insulation foam from Home Depot. It's cheap and super easy to carve and sand down. Then I used craft foam for the minor details. A wooden rod for the barrel and flashlight added.

(I'd show pictures, but this forum won't allow me)

I have quite a bit of experience with foam weapons and what works well is to core the model using polystyrene board (an insulation foam - like what FirstPick mentioned) here you can print out the gun on paper to the scale desired (i used this image for mine) this will guarantee that the rive has the correct proportions and be the scale you need (this process might take some time as you will need to tape and cut the paper cut out to check scale.

H4_battleRifle_sm-copy-w1280_zps9qjoe3bt.jpg

and then building up using various foams (EVA, and craft foams)

and using dowel rods and PVC for barrels.

when the prop is finished and unpainted it will look a lot like this

IMG_0093_zpse63e50e6.jpg

This is where i must push the necessity for caution! the polystyrene reacts rather violently to spray paints and plastidip and will completely disintegrate. to counter act this problem you can get a tube of acrylic hand/brush paints. this paint will dry as a plastic much like plastidip (Use 2 full coats before spray paint) or you can also paint the entire gun using these paints (if you are comfortable mixing the various types of grey that you might need)

I use only the acrylic paints on my props and this is the result of the battle rifle above.

IMG_0100-Copy_zps76079d74.jpg

I had roughly 15 hours of solid work in this so expect at least that.

I you have any more questions on this process i am all to happy to help

Attachments

• H4_battleRifle_sm-copy-w1280_zps9qjoe3bt.jpg
    H4_battleRifle_sm-copy-w1280_zps9qjoe3bt.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_0093_zpse63e50e6.jpg
    IMG_0093_zpse63e50e6.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0100-Copy_zps76079d74.jpg
    IMG_0100-Copy_zps76079d74.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 155
I have quite a bit of experience with foam weapons and what works well is to core the model using polystyrene board (an insulation foam - like what FirstPick mentioned) here you can print out the gun on paper to the scale desired (i used this image for mine) this will guarantee that the rive has the correct proportions and be the scale you need (this process might take some time as you will need to tape and cut the paper cut out to check scale.

and then building up using various foams (EVA, and craft foams)

and using dowel rods and PVC for barrels.

when the prop is finished and unpainted it will look a lot like this

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i441/rickrtickr/IMG_0093_zpse63e50e6.jpg

This is where i must push the necessity for caution! the polystyrene reacts rather violently to spray paints and plastidip and will completely disintegrate. to counter act this problem you can get a tube of acrylic hand/brush paints. this paint will dry as a plastic much like plastidip (Use 2 full coats before spray paint) or you can also paint the entire gun using these paints (if you are comfortable mixing the various types of grey that you might need)

I use only the acrylic paints on my props and this is the result of the battle rifle above.

I had roughly 15 hours of solid work in this so expect at least that.

I you have any more questions on this process i am all to happy to help

Holy Crap man, Thanks! That definitely sounds like a plan. And might I say you did one fine job with your own gun there.

If you're OK to spend the cash on it, an airbrush and airbrush compressor will make painting a lot faster and more consistent. You don't need anything fancy, just a simple trigger and paint pot will get this job done. The compressors are a little harder to find for cheap though, but Amazon has a couple good ones.

And if you do want a fancy airbrush, you'll really be able to do some cool art once you learn it's use!

For my assault rifle, i have a aluminum pole (i think it was a towel rack) running through the inside. PVC would probably be better, it would stick to hot glue better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back