How do I fix this issue with my ODST helmet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flamehazard

So, I've got some issues with my ODST helmet... the putty is REALLY lumpy, I have smoothed it out a LOT, but it's still really lumpy, how do I fix this?

Here's are some pics

DhKdZ5c.jpg

fUkuFzs.jpg
MTWkF2K.jpg

^ All of this, it can take a while.
And are you using a sanding barrel attatchment? because that kind of looks like a grinding head which would be much slower in this application. Also, in the future I would suggest skim-coating much thinner layers of bondo and building it up rather than digging the helmet out of a much thicker layer. Most would agree that this is the easier route that allows for more control and preservation of detail.

Hope you find the results you're looking for :thumbsup good luck!

^ All of this, it can take a while.
And are you using a sanding barrel attatchment? because that kind of looks like a grinding head which would be much slower in this application. Also, in the future I would suggest skim-coating much thinner layers of bondo and building it up rather than digging the helmet out of a much thicker layer. Most would agree that this is the easier route that allows for more control and preservation of detail.

Hope you find the results you're looking for :thumbsup good luck!

Agreed. Many thin layers is the way to go with bondo. Much easier to sand and the end result is noticeably nicer. Also, i recommend starting with a low grit sandpaper to start and switching to a much higher grit when finishing. This will help remove a lot of the bumps and smooth it out nicely.

Agreed. Many thin layers is the way to go with bondo. Much easier to sand and the end result is noticeably nicer. Also, i recommend starting with a low grit sandpaper to start and switching to a much higher grit when finishing. This will help remove a lot of the bumps and smooth it out nicely.

Exactly this. When you add bondo to your model, you don't need to layer it on super thick, and some areas hardly require any bondo at all, as you just cover up the details that you spent hours glueing together!

At this point on your helmet, its just going to be a matter of more and more sanding..... and then sand a little more. Next time around, try to keep your coats of bondo to 1/16-1/8" max (2-3mm). A little trick I like to use as well, is to shape the bondo with a sharp razor blade when it starts to get tacky. This saves me a fairly large amount of sanding time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back