Paint schemes/ effects

Status
Not open for further replies.

VikingCraft

How do boys and girls,

I'm sorry if this has been asked a thousand times and I'm just not looking in the right places.
But does anybody know any really good armour painting guides/threads either full guides or just effect ideas?

Thanks in advance.

On top of that video, he also has an updated painting tutorial. Here it is. Both videos are extremely helpful when it comes to painting.

Adam uses paint that looks like dirt but I prefer to use real dirt. The dirt I use is filtered so my mud water is consistent.

3461812448_f48d6c29fe_b_zpsrwnzqpvy.jpg

Not to take over this post, but i figured this would be a great place to ask since it's on topic. I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but i like to be prepared. I'm going with a black and burnt orange paint scheme like on the Mustang above. I'm wondering though, what people's experiences with finishes on their armor is. I do not plan to do any battle damage on my armor as i want it to look new. I'm thinking of doing a gloss finish and wanted to see if anyone has done this, or if it's a bad idea. Any and all tips regarding this topic would be awesome.

Attachments

• 3461812448_f48d6c29fe_b_zpsrwnzqpvy.jpg
    3461812448_f48d6c29fe_b_zpsrwnzqpvy.jpg
    408.3 KB · Views: 133
Not to take over this post, but i figured this would be a great place to ask since it's on topic. I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but i like to be prepared. I'm going with a black and burnt orange paint scheme like on the Mustang above. I'm wondering though, what people's experiences with finishes on their armor is. I do not plan to do any battle damage on my armor as i want it to look new. I'm thinking of doing a gloss finish and wanted to see if anyone has done this, or if it's a bad idea. Any and all tips regarding this topic would be awesome.

Hey Meatwad,

obviously don't have a great deal of experience myself but most of the research I've done people seem to say steer clear of gloss finishes,

and to be honest with that colour scheme in gloss your armour may end up looking more like ironman instead of Spartan :p good luck though mate bold strong colour scheme could look pretty damn cool.

I came across this while looking for reference photos. I'm not sure who it is, but that might be similar to what you are going for.
halo_odst__breaker___405th_singapore_detachment_by_bazsg-d6chek7.jpg

We don't know that there wasn't a soldier out there that took one look at their standard issue MJOLNIR and thought, "I am painting the heck out of this."
Once the UNSC began handing out candy coating, instead of some kind of camo, there is really no reason not to paint yourself like a Mustang, or a galaxy, or put a pinup on there like a WWII bomber, or something.

11392803_1638163276470047_2378435847611261048_n.jpg
My boyfriend and I both did black and burnt orange color schemes, here's a shot I got of his armor at a con a few months back if you were looking for more examples. I know you can seal it with a clear finish if you'd like, But I would likely use black as the main color with accents in orange instead of as much orange as that Mustang has.

View attachment 16027
My boyfriend and I both did black and burnt orange color schemes, here's a shot I got of his armor at a con a few months back if you were looking for more examples. I know you can seal it with a clear finish if you'd like, But I would likely use black as the main color with accents in orange instead of as much orange as that Mustang has.

Your guy's armor was actually my first inspiration. I have a picture saved to my phone haha. I will definitely be using it as a reference. Did you guys use a gloss finish or flat finish orange? I can't find a burnt orange with a flat finish to save my life.

We used an automotive paint, actually, so I can definitely see how you would use the 'stang as reference. Haha.

View attachment 16027

Did he make his own visor, or did he buy it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 16027

That looks awesome!

Reactions: Nim
View attachment 16027

Did you find that sealing with clear coat affects the shine/finish? I used automotive paints on my upcoming armor, do you recommend any brands of clear coat to help protect the paint job?

Did you find that sealing with clear coat affects the shine/finish? I used automotive paints on my upcoming armor, do you recommend any brands of clear coat to help protect the paint job?

Honestly, I never even tested anything out with a clear coat because I was happy with how it turned out as it was. Ten and I both do a base coat of silver with whatever paint job over top, that way when it gets beat up, the silver shows through. None of our weathering was done intentionally, it's all from running around and just general wear. I wouldn't know what sort of clear coats you should use or not. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back