RTX 2015 - Meetups and Photo Shoots

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyrHerder

Member DIN
S013
RTX is next week, and I still haven't seen any events planned! Someone should get on that. Well, anytime someone says "someone should," that someone should be the "someone," so here I go. I'll be splitting my time between 405th and GrifballHub, so I can't manage or attend everything, but I would like to help get the ball rolling so there will be something for us to do together.

FYI, the planning for the booth is here.

Edit #1:
Thanks to several people’s input in this thread and the couple Facebook convos we have going, we have decided to scrap the Thursday and Sunday dinners. Anyone is welcome to get together, but our best shot at getting a large group together is to focus on just a couple “official” events.
Edit #2:
Based on input regarding walking distance and food quality, here is my revised list:

Friday after con: casual 405th dinner at Iron Works BBQ. I made a reservation for 10.
Saturday after con: armored dinner at Dave & Buster’s (doubles as birthday party for Lena Axios). Facebook thread here.
Saturday during con: photo op. Meet at the 405th booth at 11am.

Coming in Friday morning, won't be able to partake in Thursday's activities.
Limiting my budget, I'd be happy to join everyone for dinner, but there is a chance I just won't order anything.
I am content with water, don't feel bad for eating in front of me, I'll be snacking all day.
Probably going to try and leave early on Sunday, so probably going to miss the 2nd dinner.

Sounds awesome! I'll try to get to as many of those as I can. It'll depend on times, and what my non 405th friends are up to. Is it okay to bring guests?

Of course. But let's try to get an accurate headcount here so we can alert any restaurant we plan to go to.

Sent using Tapatalk

Reposted this to the 405th Central Texas Regiment FB page.

I'll be happy to attend something around the time of the con. I've got a suit and my bf will be joining my suit-less.

Sadly, i wont go to the pre-con meet-up (I'll arrive to austin on friday)
Other than that i'm pretty sure i'll be able to go to everything else
Also the cosplay dinner thing sounds pretty fun!

Okay. I think the leading plan is for Friday at Bacon (out of armor) and Saturday at DnB (in armor). I'll probably only go to Saturday, since I have other friends going to that one, and I'll have other dinner plans to make.

Photo op still being discussed. Anyone know a skilled, willing photographer who will be there? Adam Grumbo has been mentioned on Magikarp's facebook thread.

Sent using Tapatalk

I dint care where we go, I'll be in armor.
Armor all day
Armor all night
It's really disappointing that 343i won't be attending.. i had the best con night ever at that private party they threw last year downtown and held tourneys..but oh well..

Awesome. I love the attitude. I was at that party; I played CAH with you guys, but I had no armor yet. Was looking forward to the panel and party so much this year.

Sent using Tapatalk

I narrowed down the original post from an open-ended question to the following:
Thanks to several people’s input in this thread and the couple Facebook convos we have going, we have decided to scrap the Thursday and Sunday dinners. Anyone is welcome to get together, but our best shot at getting a large group together is to focus on just a couple “official” events. Here is my revised list:
Friday after con: casual 405th dinner at Bacon (baconaustin.com) or Stubbs’s (stubbsaustin.com). Comment below and vote if you’re coming.
Saturday after con: armored dinner at Dave & Buster’s (doubles as birthday party for Lena Axios). Facebook thread here.
Saturday during con: photo op. Maybe before pre-judging for the contest? Chime in below.

Let's talk specifics.

Friday Dinner: Preferences between Bacon or Stubb's? I suggest 8pm so we have time to get back to our hotels and get ready.
Saturday Dinner: Is everyone okay with D&B's for armored dinner, or can anyone suggest a closer option that can accommodate us? Again, 8pm.
Photo Op: I suggest 11am to noon- gives us an hour to do this, then an hour to break and get ready for the contest if applicable. Hopefully that doesn't cut into anyone's prefered panels.

Thoughts? Who's in?

--Friday dinner: Not sure yet if we'll have other plans or not, but we'll probably find out before the con is over on Friday. That said, I've never been to either place so I personally don't have a preference.
--Saturday dinner: Heard good things about Dave & Busters, so I'm okay with that. Traveling there in-vehicle may be troublesome, but we can hack it. We may have three; The Meta, myself, and Caboose-helmet-in-a-cow-costume...weird kid, don't ask. ;P
--Sunday: We're there!

For Friday dinner i'm sure i can go without problem, i've never been to either, but, judging by the name... Bacon sounds nice :D

For the armored dinner, if it ends up being at D&B i'm not sure if i'll be able to go, i still need to figure out transportation since i'm staying near the convention center

The photo Op hours and contest sound good to me!

Surlume, I'm not planning any official Sunday events; you're on your own for that.
Surlume & danielix, I think we're all in agreement about getting to D&B. I would love some alternative suggestions closer to the con. Maybe Bacon Friday and Stubb's Saturday?

Sent using Tapatalk

Haha...Oops, I meant the Saturday photo op. lol We'll be at that.

I don't particularly have my heart set on D&B, so closer sounds just fine for me. I do think more members would be likely to show up within walking distance near the convention center, though.

Totally agree. DnB was originally suggested by two of my Xbox/Facebook friends who live in Austin. I think they'll be on their own for that. Bacon Fri and Stubbs Sat looks like the easiest close options for visitors.
Talking to Adam on Facebook about the photoshoot. Apparently he's a founder and long time photographer, so he'll probably be good to suggest location.

Sent using Tapatalk

Cool, sounds like a plan.

Oh yeah, he's awesome. He took the pictures last year, and we all had a ton of fun and great pics to show for it!

Friday is a maybe. Really want to go to Master Pancake.

Saturday I'll be a D&B.

Will be at the photo shoot.

I am up for the Friday Dinner and the Photo shoot whenever. Since I'm flying I can pretty much only bring my armor, no other costumes, so I'll be good to go all day Saturday.

Probably out for Saturday Dinner. I want to go to the VGO/BNL Concert, but, if the line caps for that super early, as I'm thinking it might, then I might be down for Dinner, if it's close. Like others, being an out of towner, I would prefer something in walking distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back