Fallout Armored Vault Suit Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

bostarr

Hi everyone! I'm working on making some Fallout cosplay for a con in December. The main problem I'm concerned with is my actual vault suit. Specifically, I'm concerned about putting the vault number and stripes on it. I have little experience sewing so what I need to know is would fabric paint work as a substitute?

Paint can be a good substitute, but you want to be careful with what kinds you use, fabric paint can work well but you want to make sure not to apply it too thick or else with use it can crackle and peel off. It can last for a while or only one con depending on the wear and tear you put on the costume. Another painting option could be making stencils and lightly spray painting the color onto the fabric, it works well with cotton blends but not more plastic-y materials like polyester.

Also I have a friend that I am helping make a vault suit as well and we are hand sewing the numbers/stripes on and even though i only know one stitch, which is a really rough stitch, I feel like the inconsistent stitching really helps to fit the worn out fallout vibe. Just an idea, stitching can be a pain but the end result is usually really cool and lasts a while!

Paint can be a good substitute, but you want to be careful with what kinds you use, fabric paint can work well but you want to make sure not to apply it too thick or else with use it can crackle and peel off. It can last for a while or only one con depending on the wear and tear you put on the costume. Another painting option could be making stencils and lightly spray painting the color onto the fabric, it works well with cotton blends but not more plastic-y materials like polyester.

Also I have a friend that I am helping make a vault suit as well and we are hand sewing the numbers/stripes on and even though i only know one stitch, which is a really rough stitch, I feel like the inconsistent stitching really helps to fit the worn out fallout vibe. Just an idea, stitching can be a pain but the end result is usually really cool and lasts a while!

See I wouldn't mind trying to sew if I knew how. The worn stitching could work but when I think vault suit I think of something that vault tec would have manufactured and it be almost a professional stitch but that's just me.

My idea on the stitching is that you could imagine it as a like post vault dweller had to repair the suit over and over again in the wastes, hence the poorly unprofessional stitch, but I totally understand the other side too! you could try to find a place that sews patches on like an embroidery place as long as you have the parts they might be able to sew the parts on relatively cheap, but if you want to paint it, at least personally i have found the stencil way to work pretty well but i would test painting on a junk material like a shirt you buy at a thrift shop before trying it on the final piece. Hope this was helpful :)

The numbers on the jumpsuit seen in the trailer seem to be printed rather than stitched, although I'm on the go and haven't looked properly.

An easier idea would be to cut out three '1's out of T-shirt Transfer Paper, and just iron them on to the back. I'm planning on doing something similar for my SO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back