Question about undersuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xolique

I was on youtube, watching various Halo cosplayers put on their armour and the question arose in my mind: What is the most effective way to secure my armour to the under suit and what would allow the most mobility? I've seen under suits with pieces of armour already on them that the Spartan armour has been stuck onto (motor cross gear?) and the armour underneath the Spartan armour seems to protrude a little. It didn't look bad, but I like the idea that Impact props had or DaFrontLineTrooper. Also I've seen some methods involving bracers, belts, velcros etc which seem interesting.

So what would you recommend for a Halo cosplay noob looking for a good under suit and a way of securing their pieces properly?

Buy a roll of webbing and some clips. Like these.
m4gBR09vf1wRUIS_61nbJ8Q.jpg
They're really cheap on eBay.

Using either sewing materials or a suitable adhesive, you'll want to attach one small piece of webbing to your undersuit, for example, on your shoulders, on the end of the webbing a clip that hangs over the end of your shoulder on to your arm. Then glue the other half of the clip to the inside of your armor, and it can clip on and off from the undersuit whenever you need,

This will only work on sturdy undersuits like the combat/motorcycle padding vests. If you try to do it on a stretchy thin undersuit, the weight from the armor pieces can stretch, or even tear your undersuit under the weight.

If this is the case, you'll want to put together a basic harness using the same webbing. Here's a basic diagram. Start with a belt, add suspenders to the belt, and keep on going until you have suitable places to add your clips. This harness will be worn over your undersuit.
strapping.png

DON'T link all your armor strapping to the chest piece or your shoulders. The purpose of the strapping is to keep pieces straight but most importantly, to distribute the weight. If the entire weight of your armor is being held up by one piece of armor, it'll cause damage, maybe not to your piece, but probably to your shoulders that have been holding a suit of armor up all day.

Thanks Spartan 420 that was really helpful. I'll probably get the thicker combat vest then as it sounds like it might be less work getting the armour on and off (less steps) in the long run. Thanks a million :)

i used the buckles and straps and did a modular system with my armor, for my shoulders i have an elastic that goes round my bicep that is tight but no to tight then a buckle that clips to my vest so it stays up, my hip, ab, but, and thigh pieces are all held with buckles and straps just need suspenders to keep it up underneath my vest. so it all depends on how good you are and your budget.hope that helps.

I just use a rugged long sleeve back T shirt and black jeans as my under suit. then each piece of armor is strapped on individually.

In regards to mobility, while most of our builds still allow a pretty wide range of movement, Stormtroopers canot stand themselves up ftom a prone position and they tend to pop off buttons when they sit.

I'm going to be using this technique (check the youtube link below) to secure my armor, snaps. Since my armor is foam and not fiberglass, it is light enough to be held up this way. I will also use webbing for the thigh pieces since they are the heaviest pieces and will need the extra support to also hold a pistol and my bag to carry my phone and other items. I'm also using a morph suit underneath. I ordered one to fit snug but not tight so the snaps don't completely kills the undersuit. I purchased the morph suit here, http://www.ebay.com/itm/25134495685...49&var=550284553669&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

[video]https://youtu.be/MHuk6mzy9XE?list=PL7btjlS-e3I7ju4os4NMSPJ9dE1SJV4Fk[/video]

Buy a roll of webbing and some clips. Like these.
View attachment 15730
They're really cheap on eBay.

Using either sewing materials or a suitable adhesive, you'll want to attach one small piece of webbing to your undersuit, for example, on your shoulders, on the end of the webbing a clip that hangs over the end of your shoulder on to your arm. Then glue the other half of the clip to the inside of your armor, and it can clip on and off from the undersuit whenever you need,

This will only work on sturdy undersuits like the combat/motorcycle padding vests. If you try to do it on a stretchy thin undersuit, the weight from the armor pieces can stretch, or even tear your undersuit under the weight.

If this is the case, you'll want to put together a basic harness using the same webbing. Here's a basic diagram. Start with a belt, add suspenders to the belt, and keep on going until you have suitable places to add your clips. This harness will be worn over your undersuit.
View attachment 15735

DON'T link all your armor strapping to the chest piece or your shoulders. The purpose of the strapping is to keep pieces straight but most importantly, to distribute the weight. If the entire weight of your armor is being held up by one piece of armor, it'll cause damage, maybe not to your piece, but probably to your shoulders that have been holding a suit of armor up all day.

Thanks for the image. I was thinking about a system similar to this, but this made things go a lot faster =).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back