Using a stand while applying resin

Status
Not open for further replies.

x30ffx

Hi all!

I've just started the resin phase of my build, and I feel that placing my piece on a stand would help the process immensely. However, I don't know at all what to use, or what to make to create an effective stand. What can I do for helmets, chest pieces, etc.?

thanks!

I don't use a stand but I guess it would help a little. Generally speaking I find it works better if you resin your piece in sections depending on how large it is. The resin makes the piece more heavy and if its still drying there is more chance of warping. If you do it in sections you're increasing the strength of the piece bit by bit and have the piece rest on sections that have dried and hardened.

I don't use a stand but I guess it would help a little. Generally speaking I find it works better if you resin your piece in sections depending on how large it is. The resin makes the piece more heavy and if its still drying there is more chance of warping. If you do it in sections you're increasing the strength of the piece bit by bit and have the piece rest on sections that have dried and hardened.

Yep! this right here is the ticket. Resin is so heavy, many pieces can warp if you're not careful. While I was on my resin stages I would constantly run outside to check on my pieces for warping. I did about an oz of resin at a time, which isn't a lot, but it kept it so I wasn't wasting any, and I could apply it pretty quickly enough.

In terms of 'stands' I ended up using card board boxes, and left over cups to help prop certain pieces. I tried to get gravity to help out with keeping the pieces the correct shape.

Make sure when you do go to resin it that you prop it up first how you want it to dry and make sure that whatever you use to do it is nearby when you're done. There were many times where I would finish resining and have to run all over the house trying to find things to help prop pieces up lol.

Yep! this right here is the ticket. Resin is so heavy, many pieces can warp if you're not careful. While I was on my resin stages I would constantly run outside to check on my pieces for warping. I did about an oz of resin at a time, which isn't a lot, but it kept it so I wasn't wasting any, and I could apply it pretty quickly enough.

In terms of 'stands' I ended up using card board boxes, and left over cups to help prop certain pieces. I tried to get gravity to help out with keeping the pieces the correct shape.

Make sure when you do go to resin it that you prop it up first how you want it to dry and make sure that whatever you use to do it is nearby when you're done. There were many times where I would finish resining and have to run all over the house trying to find things to help prop pieces up lol.

Thanks for the advice! I'll try those out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back