Recon and marine helmet build

Status
Not open for further replies.

shwarzwald

So after lurking for quite some time I finally got around to starting a build myself. Now I gotta warn ya the result of the first helmet wasnt pretty. Though to be fair I lost major motivation after discovering I scaled it wrong.( At which point instead of gluing it together it went to tape.)
However the marine helmet turned out pretty good. Though its scaled right for my head it seems a bit large still. (Still has tape which held the glued pieces together.) (Also should point out niether helmet will make it to the resin stage nor bondo.)
For future builds I am thinking of using hot glue instead of krazy glue( it was liquid type with a brush.)
Any pointers or suggestions for future builds would be awesome. Also its nice to finally post. Makes me feel a bit more motivated to do this.
1439179534820-563195560.jpg 1439179596907-1947460805.jpg 14391796379321474292702.jpg
(This was the second attempt at a helmet.)
20150808_203249.jpg 1439179741353-2116849189.jpg 1439179774286-1813747478.jpg 1439179849865-255821413.jpg (This was my first ever attempt at pepakura and I definitely need some more practice.)
P.s I should probably note that I am extremely new to this. I just downloaded the pepakura design program friday and spent sat and today doing these. Give me a few months and I'll get to where the other people on here are. ( kinda noticing nobody posts anything less than a build that is in bondo at least.)

Hey man, don't get discouraged, we all start from somewhere, though i'm not all that great myself. :p

As for glue (everyone has different methods) i use a glue stick to temporally hold the cardstock and then use a very small dab of super glue, but hot glue is probably a better route. XD

And ive been posting my progress as i go, from the beginning, and i'm not even at the bondo step yet. and between you and me, i messed up my ODST helmet pretty good but went on to resin it anyway and am extremely satisfied with the way it turned out so you never know what kind of results you can get if you don't try ^.^
Also, the helmet looked like it was coming along great man, if you can just try and print that part off again instead of scrapping it all.

Hey man, don't get discouraged, we all start from somewhere, though i'm not all that great myself. :p

As for glue (everyone has different methods) i use a glue stick to temporally hold the cardstock and then use a very small dab of super glue, but hot glue is probably a better route. XD

And ive been posting my progress as i go, from the beginning, and i'm not even at the bondo step yet. and between you and me, i messed up my ODST helmet pretty good but went on to resin it anyway and am extremely satisfied with the way it turned out so you never know what kind of results you can get if you don't try ^.^
Also, the helmet looked like it was coming along great man, if you can just try and print that part off again instead of scrapping it all.
Thanks. Also as far as the recon helmet goes the scale was off by just a bit. So it wouldnt have fit me regardless which was off putting. However when I get ready to start the next one I'll make sure it is scaled proper.

Great work, for a first attempt! My advice is simple: practise, practise, practise. Even the best builders here had humble beginnings and failed attempts.

Other than that, consider looking at the tutorials we have on offer. They may offer you some insight into different methods that could help you improve your work. Good luck with your builds!

Great work, for a first attempt! My advice is simple: practise, practise, practise. Even the best builders here had humble beginnings and failed attempts.

Other than that, consider looking at the tutorials we have on offer. They may offer you some insight into different methods that could help you improve your work. Good luck with your builds!

Thank you. I'm still looking for better methods to save time and costs, so advice is always a good thing. I'll definitely read through this tut. ( Glad to see there is some I missed.)

Hey man keep it up, this stuff takes a little bit of time to get the hang of... if you look at my build thread youll see all of my frustrations on the subject lol. Even some complete foam disasters, lets say im sticking with Pep.

Anyways, Ive been using Elmers Probond glue. its a professional multi-surface glue. works great and dries quick. bought it at Ace Hardware. give that a shot. and its weatherproof lol

Keep it up and you'll get so good at pep'in you got Potencial and we all start somewhere :) Im Currently building the Halo 4 variant of the Recon chest i'll start a thread the next days :p. Any Chance you are From Germany BTW ? :)

Keep it up and you'll get so good at pep'in you got Potencial and we all start somewhere :) Im Currently building the Halo 4 variant of the Recon chest i'll start a thread the next days :p. Any Chance you are From Germany BTW ? :)

Thanks and due to design I would probably stick with the halo 3 variant for the recon armor. Also alas I am not from germany. (The name tends to lead people to believe so. That and I know german too.)

Alright after a lot more reading, guess measurements, and printing out extra pieces to test scale I think I finally got the correct scale for my recon helmet. The new helmet should be overall an inch to inch and a half bigger. That being said I have it all printed out and ready to go. However before I start this one I would like a little feedback on how well 65 pound cardstock will hold up against 110 pound.
I bought both, but my printer cannot print onto(without jamming) the 110 pound. Also after many suggestions I have an embellishment glue stick and an elmers extreme glue stick. Not sure which is better, but both seem promising after a test piece. (The paper ripped before the glue failed.) Now is there a better way to test it? Also does anyone know if the resin will react to these types of adhesives?
A little feedback would be amazing before I sink another 15 hours into a helmet.
14392609196301832063452.jpg

Hey man keep it up, this stuff takes a little bit of time to get the hang of... if you look at my build thread youll see all of my frustrations on the subject lol. Even some complete foam disasters, lets say im sticking with Pep.

Anyways, Ive been using Elmers Probond glue. its a professional multi-surface glue. works great and dries quick. bought it at Ace Hardware. give that a shot. and its weatherproof lol
Ah I may look into that glue. I missed your post earlier. Sorry about that. Also yeah pep seemed a better route to go than foam.

I can't say for sure, but I don't believe the glue would have any effect with resin. I'm glad you found a glue you like. I like a cool glue gun; it sets fast and I can wipe off any excess with minimal discomfort.
Good luck with the new helmet build.
I think scouring the lines with a pen before cutting it out helped put it together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't say for sure, but I don't believe the glue would have any effect with resin. I'm glad you found a glue you like. I like a cool glue gun; it sets fast and I can wipe off any excess with minimal discomfort.
Good luck with the new helmet build.
I think scouring the lines with a pen before cutting it out helped put it together.

Ah yes the pen thing. Saw that a few times. Need to try that out and see if its better than the card method I was using.

Ah yes the pen thing. Saw that a few times. Need to try that out and see if its better than the card method I was using.

It takes a lot more time, but as long as you press hard it works great. If you use 2 colors then its easy to see which way you need to fold it.

I use the Back of my Exacto Knife to Score the Lines ! Its really nice to fold if you score each line 1-2 times :) Check out my Recon chestplate Thread to see what nice results it gets you !
(Im Relative new to Pep'ing)

Ive just been using a dull exacto blade and very light pressure to score the lines, it works like a charm. dont get heavy handed though

I use the Back of my Exacto Knife to Score the Lines ! Its really nice to fold if you score each line 1-2 times :) Check out my Recon chestplate Thread to see what nice results it gets you !
(Im Relative new to Pep'ing)

Ive just been using a dull exacto blade and very light pressure to score the lines, it works like a charm. dont get heavy handed though

Seems like that may become an option very soon. My blade is getting dull after those two. I appreciate the tip.

1439434959122-1514683603.jpg
What little time I get after work I've been taking my time getting good folds in. Not gonna mess up again.

Alrighty time for take two. I have high hopes that I will be putting resin on this before the day is out.1439664566479-1514683603.jpg

Ok so it took a lot longer to get the pep put together and I was still left with small gaps due to minor errors. However I went full steam ahead to getting resin on it. (Of course I may have grossly underestimated how small 1oz is, so I may not have enough hardner in the mix.)
So with any luck once it dries and I get the inside rondo'd and get bondo on the outside I will be able to knock out any imperfections created with the pep. ( I can sculpt a lot better than I can glue pieces of paper together)
20150816_095529.jpg 20150816_095538.jpg
If within 2 hours these aren't dryish I'll do another light layer of resin except with a heavier amount of hardner.

Any suggestions beyond that would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back