EVA Foam ODST Build (Complete!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: EVA Foam ODST Build (WIP)

nice looking brain bucket, how did you make the visor?

Where did you aquire the plastic sheet? Also what size did you end up needing? I'm almost to this step.

O, ok.

I followed the guide to the letter. I used K&S .030 sheets (bought them from here http://www.hobbylinc.com/k-s-model-scratch-building-plastic-supplies) so long as the thickness is right (and you do not get a sheet smaller than that) you will be fine. I used the clear metallic visor before (from icon props https://www.etsy.com/listing/193364395/flexible-metallic-visor-material) on my ncr cosplay (and seen some other odst guys use it). the sad part is it might be cheaper to buy the stuff. It ran me about $50 to get the mirrored window tint, application solution kit, plastic sheets, and the paint. The good news is you will have window tint to make your own army of visors! you making mistakes does not cost too much extra. My advice would be buy extra plastic sheets. I only had 2 to work with. I botched my first one and I will most likely redo the one you see (minor imperfections). The plus side to making the visor is it looks absolutely amazing. Using the x-metals paint gives it a look that delivers!

Some quick tips:

-when cutting out the tint it is ok to have some hanging out on the edge. once the tint drys just trim it off, no big deal if some hangs off the edge.
-be sure to soak the plastic in the application solution (well the side that will have the tint) before you put the tint on. I put too little one time and had to redo the build.
-really clean off the plastic (with the water or application solution) to avoid bubbles. Some bubbles are fine (like very few) but failing to clean it and you will have to redo.
-if you are going to have the tint side of the visor on the inside then be very careful!!! folding the tint on the inside WILL cause it to peel slightly (if reckless it can not be fixed). So cut the line on the tint side of the visor and work very slow to avoid peeling that cant be fixed. I would make my line and use my table to help my fold. I pushed on what peeled and it fixed itself (very minor peeling).
-The paint is very picky. too little paint and you cant see through the visor and too much and you cant see through the visor (gosh what a picky thing). You want to have a nice even coat on the outside.
-if you painted the visor and cant see out of it, add another layer of paint. I was testing with some of my scraps and something happened and the paint dried wrong so I sprayed another layer. Once it dried, I could see through the visor. Lastly I painted my visor and something went wrong, the visor dried cloudy. So i sprayed another layer on it and it fixed it!
-I did soak one of my test pieces in paint and yes you can have too much. find that middle ground.

In conclusion: the build is beautiful and worth it! buy extra plastic sheets, and work slow.

Alright finally completed this build!

Just a few minor things (like fixing the straps on the shoulder) and it should be ready for youmacon! The current gun is just a place holder.

th_image.jpg th_image.jpg th_image.jpg

th_image.jpg th_image.jpg

To finish my build I attached my backpack using 2 clips and 2 magnets. I bought some cheap airsoft gloves off amazon and painted the plastic part of it to match my armor lastly, i attached my visor.

As always feel free to comment, ask questions, and give critiques!

I hope you guys like it as much as i do!

Attachments

• th_image.jpg
    th_image.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 133
  • th_image.jpg
    th_image.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 117
  • th_image.jpg
    th_image.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 121
  • th_image.jpg
    th_image.jpg