EVA Foam ODST Build (Complete!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Absol898

Jr Member
Page 2 has the finished post!

th_image.jpg

With Youmacon around the corner, my armor nears completion. Currently all the foam work is done and my helm is almost done with the agonizing bondo, sand, and repeat routine.

th_image.jpg th_image.jpg th_image.jpg th_image.jpg th_image.jpg
(sorry the last picture is kinda dark, ill clean that up once I feel like getting off the internet lol.)

So far everything fits. I wanted to veer off from the standard ODST backpack and make something bulkier, to been seen a little from the front (because who takes pictures of peoples backs {kinda joke}?) A lot of foam builders use something resembling a spike on their gauntlets however, I went with more of a shield look. I am going to seal the foam with DAP latex grout methoid (because $0.99 a tube fits the college budget) and it worked real well on my NCR build (still standing after 5 cons!). Not much to stare at now (being just a bunch of foam) but once I add in strips, buckles, paint, and other small details, hopefully, it will turn out nice!

as for the helm...

th_image.jpg th_image.jpg th_image.jpg

Had a little accident with the helm which warped the helm real bad and put a nice hole on top (to prevent heat stroke?) had a real fun time fixing it and added about 2 weeks of sanding. After a lot of sanding the helm does not look like a complete disaster and should be ready in (hopefully) a few weeks.

th_image.jpg th_image.jpg th_image.jpg th_image.jpg

In the mean time...

Besides sanding (in case I have not said it enough in this thread) I am researching prop weapons (both DIY and 3d printed options) and under suits.

Other than that, I am always open to questions, concerns, and advice. Feel free to ask!

Attachments

• th_image.jpg
    th_image.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 177
  • th_image.jpg
    th_image.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 180
  • th_image.jpg
    th_image.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 195
  • th_image.jpg
    th_image.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 197
  • th_image.jpg
    th_image.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 185
  • th_image.jpg
    th_image.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 204
  • th_image.jpg
    th_image.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 187
  • th_image.jpg
    th_image.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 186
  • th_image.jpg
    th_image.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 183
  • th_image.jpg
    th_image.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 178
  • th_image.jpg
    th_image.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 178
  • th_image.jpg
    th_image.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 200
  • th_image.jpg
    th_image.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 182
Re: EVA Foam ODST Build (WIP)

Quick update.

th_image.jpg

I sealed my foam, using latex grout, and am adding small details (screw head, etc...) before i paint it.

As for the helm...

th_image.jpg th_image.jpg

Still have some sanding to do but, considering it looked like this a while ago.

th_image.jpg

I would say i am making good progress.

Attachments

• th_image.jpg
    th_image.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 168
  • th_image.jpg
    th_image.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 200
  • th_image.jpg
    th_image.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 186
  • th_image.jpg
    th_image.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 181

Quick update.

http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y466/Absol898/th_image.jpg1_zpshlkszwq5.jpg

I sealed my foam, using latex grout, and am adding small details (screw head, etc...) before i paint it.

As for the helm...

http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y466/Absol898/th_image.jpg2_zpsjtxyj7qe.jpg http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y466/Absol898/th_image.jpg1_zpsar2d4vbk.jpg

Still have some sanding to do but, considering it looked like this a while ago.

http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y466/Absol898/th_image.jpg10_zpshuk0tfkn.jpg

I would say i am making good progress.

What sort of warping issues happened? And how did you fix it? ( Bondo and sanding?)

What sort of warping issues happened? And how did you fix it? ( Bondo and sanding?)

During the resin process I put my helmet on a bottle, to prevent the bottom of the helm from warping, however the resin weakened the glue causing it to come apart. Looking at the picture below, The mouth got bent inward and there is a hole in the head. What I did was hot glued the top (was still flexible enough) and used a heat gun to fix what warping I could. Lastly I went heaver on the bondo and kept layering it until I got the shape I desired (thank goodness for mouse sanders.)

th_image.jpg

Attachments

• th_image.jpg
    th_image.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 181

During the resin process I put my helmet on a bottle, to prevent the bottom of the helm from warping, however the resin weakened the glue causing it to come apart. Looking at the picture below, The mouth got bent inward and there is a hole in the head. What I did was hot glued the top (was still flexible enough) and used a heat gun to fix what warping I could. Lastly I went heaver on the bondo and kept layering it until I got the shape I desired (thank goodness for mouse sanders.)

http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y466/Absol898/th_image.jpg11_zpszewq8tpl.jpg
Thanks for getting back so quick. I figured bondo would be the solution. (Well mostly.) My helmet got warped on the bottom jaw area, so some fixin is in order.

Alright Cptins, I look forward as well!

Anyways, Broke more ground with my cosplay! I started adding the base coat and the lines. I used painters tape to create an edge and paper as a shield, so I don't ruin the base coat.

th_image.jpg th_image.jpg

With the base coat and lines done my cosplay is starting to look more alive, here come the pics!

At the moment I am starting to add the weathering and shadows, so my cosplay looks more alive. Hopefully soon I will be able to have it on and complete!

Attachments

• th_image.jpg
    th_image.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 182
  • th_image.jpg
    th_image.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 192
  • th_image.jpg
    th_image.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 172
  • th_image.jpg
    th_image.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 192
  • th_image.jpg
    th_image.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 176
  • th_image.jpg
    th_image.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 174

Looking so awesome! How much money you have spent on it?

The total runs about $175 (over a year) because it is my first real foam build and i had to re make a few pieces.

Anyways, I broke more ground on my build. It is not finished yet (visor is still curing, back pack needs to be mounted, some strap adjustments, etc...) but here is a nice update.

image.jpg

I took a real risk trying to add a mud effect to my cosplay and wanted to know what you guys thought of it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 135
  • th_image.jpg
    th_image.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 179
  • th_image.jpg
    th_image.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 175
  • th_image.jpg
    th_image.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 157
  • th_image.jpg
    th_image.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 168

So I finally finished the helmet. Got to say the visor took longer than I thought. I used hugh's method to make it. (http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=30968). The color on the visor is beautiful! The viability is not too bad either. The hardest part was keeping the window tint from peeling while folding and spraying just the right amount of paint on it. here are some pics!

th_image.jpg th_image.jpg th_image.jpg

As for the inside of the helm, I used the foam edges from the floor mats as padding.

th_image.jpg

Attachments

• th_image.jpg
    th_image.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 145
  • th_image.jpg
    th_image.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 156
  • th_image.jpg
    th_image.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 150
  • th_image.jpg