Helmets: CQB Mk V EOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGouldy

Starting with the L3X unfold of the CQB. (Same one that vshore100 used). Im wondering if, when i get to the finerglass stage, i can keep the top and bottom half separate until after fiberglassing to make easier to work with. Thebottom half is nearly done, and I'm starting on the top half.

As you can see i am not particularly good at pep yet and i was forced to use two different colors of cardstock when I ran out of white during printing.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    573.8 KB · Views: 262
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    815.7 KB · Views: 238
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    672.1 KB · Views: 241
I would put the two halves of your model together before fiberglassing for a couple reasons.

First off: the fully pepd model will be far more sturdy and resistant to warping during the resin stage. Add a few popsicle sticks or supports and you will have a very good base to finish off.

Secondly, it's going to be a real pain to align the models perfectly after applying resin and fiberglass due to slight warping/the models not being pepd absolutely perfectly (not bashing your pep skills, cardstock just isn't a perfect medium for holding a very precise shape.)

These factors will lead to a lot more finishing work, and a finished model that might not be as square as you would like.

Just my 2 cents!

I totally agree with FlyinPhil on this. I'd definitely put the entire model together before hardening. I'd resin the outside with a couple of layers, then use a couple of thin coats of Rondo to get into all folds on the cheek vents, and any other small area. Then I'd come back with your fiberglass to finish it off. And as far as you not being good at pep yet...yes you are. You're doing a great job on it. Best of luck and remember....be patient. This is helmet will take a while. :D

I totally agree with FlyinPhil on this. I'd definitely put the entire model together before hardening. I'd resin the outside with a couple of layers, then use a couple of thin coats of Rondo to get into all folds on the cheek vents, and any other small area. Then I'd come back with your fiberglass to finish it off. And as far as you not being good at pep yet...yes you are. You're doing a great job on it. Best of luck and remember....be patient. This is helmet will take a while. :D

Thanks, watching you start and finish you build was inspiring. its my favorite helmet ive seen on here.

image.jpgI had a bit of trouble with the "bolt" on top being off center and i had to cut out the inner ring and glue it back on freehand which messed up the overall shape inside the bolt. Im getting nervous that im not assembling this symmetrically, any tips on checking symmetry mid-build, and/or what i can do to correct it? Im about 2/3 of the way done and having already started classes this semester ill be surprised if i resin before it christmas leave. ill probably just pep the next helmets if i have time ( mk v from halo 3 most likely) any tips on Which is the highest detail file around r/n?

I tried to build the sides up equally. For example in your pic you have the open slots for the raised sections. I'd do the first one on that side, then go to the opposite side and do that one, then so on. The bolt looks fine to me. I'd take a look in the file archives and download a few and pick the best one from there. I haven't built one of those, so I really have no idea on who has the best file for it. Good luck with it all! :D

Almost done with assembling the pep, i ran into some trouble connecting the top and bottom as they just parely dont line up. I may have to make some adjustments now and smooth it/make corrections when i get to the bondo stage. Once i assemble the two halves ill just need to finish with the two top bolts (which are a pain in the butt) and put on the visor support piece. Im not sure when ill get around to resin and bondo (may be as late as the summer) so im going to start peping another helmet in the meantime. Theperson i was goimg to make the MK V for asked me to try to make a venator, and the EOD is going to be an ODST instead. As always critsism and advice are appreciated.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

NOTE: the helmet looks a bit lopsided now but once i fully assemble both halves it should be more semetrical.

Edit: if anyone knows how to change the name of this thread... I'd appreciate it since im probably not making EOD
or Mk V i dont want to lead anyone on

Looks really good man. I can't get over how many numbers are on that thing. I would definitely go crosseyed doing that pattern! I can see what you mean about the alignment issues, and one of the best things I learned was to build from the crown to the neck. That way you avoid having those issues, and you can build the whole thing symmetrically like vshore mentioned. I am currently assembling GothX's version from reach, and this helmet can be a tricky one haha.

Keep up the good work! Looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

I didn't mess with the scale before building and while I'm going to put padding inside, I feel like it should be smaller overall--but the feedback I got says otherwise so I'm going to drive on. I haven't finished the "bolts" on the sides yet because the top one was such a pain in the butt. I'll post an up close picture of it when the pep is 100% complete. I probably wont be able to resin for a while since I don't think I'll get to it before winter strikes which means I'll have to wait until spring at the earliest so I'm going to move on to my other peps the venator from halo 4 and ODST.

Very nice work! Keep it up.
That's definitely a file that would drive me mad with all the small folds, but it looks like you're doing great.

So ive been working on the venator while i wait coat the CQB because i need to a) buy resin and b) have somewhere to do it (maybe when i go home for thanksgiving). This pep is going slowly as i have to work around practice and schoolwork. I'm hoping to finish building this one and an ODST before thanksgiving so i can resin them at the same time as the CQB.

image.jpgpicture 3.PNGimage 2.jpgpicture 4.PNG

havent had much time to work on this, but here is where i got after doing some work yesterday. Once i get this done (maybe wednesday) ill start working on an ODST helmet. Its too cold now and i just dont have enough time with school to move onto resin and bondo, so that may have to wait for summer. As always comments critisism and advice are always welcome, especially if you have any suggestions for buying, or making the visors.image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

unfortunately, I decided that the venator I was building was not at all game accurate. until I find a better file, I'm going to put it on hold. Luckily, now that its warmer out I can start working on the cqb again over the next few weeks. I'm thinking about thickening the whole thing, then cutting it into parts in order to make an aluminum casting and then weld the pieces back together. I'm probably just going to do the normal Resin then Rondo then Bondo routine but since my cousin and I have an aluminum forge built, the idea has just bee floating around in my head. more to come soon.

unfortunately, I decided that the venator I was building was not at all game accurate. until I find a better file, I'm going to put it on hold. Luckily, now that its warmer out I can start working on the cqb again over the next few weeks. I'm thinking about thickening the whole thing, then cutting it into parts in order to make an aluminum casting and then weld the pieces back together. I'm probably just going to do the normal Resin then Rondo then Bondo routine but since my cousin and I have an aluminum forge built, the idea has just bee floating around in my head. more to come soon.

There are model extractions straight from the game to be found in the Archive, if you're worried about accuracy. You can't get better than the source material itself.

Good to see you're back into the swing of things. It'll be interesting to see where the aluminium casting project goes - surely you don't intend to actually wear the helmet in that state? It'll be rather bulky and heavy to wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back