Starting my first building journey!! ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.

CommandoTNT

Hello Everyone! I'm Justin D'Acunha, I just signed up on the forum this morning and I am so excited to be a part of the community. I am a HUGE Halo fan and I have always wanted to walk around in a suit of armor, so now I am realizing my dream! :D I come from South Florida, I'm 21 years old and in college, and I work part-time at a local arts and crafts store. Now that you know a little about myself, I wanted to explain what I am working on accomplishing.

So, I actually just finished making a homemade duct tape mannequin. It was painful to say the least, but I got it done haha. Just wondering, however, should I fill it up with spray foam, or would newspaper suffice?
20150822_141319.jpg

Now, I am trying to make a specific suit of armor. I believe it is called the Mjolnir Gen2 Defender Class armor. I am probably going to go with foam in building it, however I have no idea how to get blueprints to make it. Will I have to customize and sketch out my own blueprints, or does anyone know if there is a base file I can start off of and build up to what I want to achieve? Here are some pictures of the suit of armor I'd like to create.
270px-H4-Render-DefenderArmor-Lowpoly.jpg
640px-H4_Defender_3d_model.jpg

It seems a bit daunting to have to create a foam armor pattern for this from scratch, but I have no idea where to start from or what to use to assist me in making a pattern. I already have most of the basic materials as well for my project. EVA foam, razor blades, hot glue gun, heat gun, card stock, and some other basic things. Any and all help or suggestions would be appreciated, as I'm so looking forward to getting this started ASAP. I will also be uploading various pictures and perhaps some Youtube videos on my progress as I build my first set of armor, as I want to help others who also would like to do something similar to what I am doing. And of course, I am so glad to be a part of this community! If you have any questions about me or my project feel free to ask me!

Best regards,
Justin

Welcome to the 405th!

To answer your first question, newspaper will work just fine. If your looking for files, go to the file archive. The file archive will most likely have the files you need to make your armor. From glancing in the file archive I see all the files you need except for two pieces: the biceps/shoulders and the chest piece. I may not have looked in the right places so they could be there. If your making foam armor, the best way to make it is by modifying pdo files (in the file archive) into foam friendly templates. Check out Spacemeats video on how to unfold pdo files into foam friendly files. I would also check out some of his other videos. His videos really helped me understand the process of using foam.

Good luck on your build!

Welcome to the 405th!

To answer your first question, newspaper will work just fine. If your looking for files, go to the file archive. The file archive will most likely have the files you need to make your armor. From glancing in the file archive I see all the files you need except for two pieces: the biceps/shoulders and the chest piece. I may not have looked in the right places so they could be there. If your making foam armor, the best way to make it is by modifying pdo files (in the file archive) into foam friendly templates. Check out Spacemeats video on how to unfold pdo files into foam friendly files. I would also check out some of his other videos. His videos really helped me understand the process of using foam.

Good luck on your build!

Thanks so much!!!! Spacemeat's videos are exactly what I needed, as for the files I will have to do some searching on the archives. I plan to keep everyone posted about my progress in the build!

Actually, I have decided to just stick with a Halo 4 Recruit build. I figured since it was my first build I'd start with something simpler and then move up from there. If anyone else is also making a recruit armor set and helmet feel free to add in comments or work on the project together. Like the saying goes, 2 head are better than 1!

Ahah, this seems intresting! Updates on your suit will be posted here, correct? If so, I'll be subscribing to this one!

Ahah, this seems intresting! Updates on your suit will be posted here, correct? If so, I'll be subscribing to this one!

Yes!! I will be posting updates.
8/25/2015: I just finished getting the rest of my supplies finally!!!(and my much needed hot knife) I started today on what I thought would be a simple piece, the shin. Truth be told, it's a bit trickier than I first thought or imagined. I finished a small bit of the shin today before work, and I plan on finishing it tomorrow. It looks a bit rough and has some patches of hot glue in some spots, but nothing a bit of kwik seal and sanding can't fix. And I'm sure with time it'll get easier and easier until I'm used to it :D here are a couple pics.
20150825_144148.jpg
My materials and workspace.
20150825_144220.jpg
My shinguard progress so far.

Planning on updating again!!

Hey everyone!! Been moving slowly, but I'm still working at it!! I have a couple more pics, and I plan on hopefully finishing assembling the helmet tomorrow since I have the whole day free. I've decided to make a Warrior Helmet to go with the suit. The first pic is my first piece for it.20150904_010136.jpg
These next few pics are of the recruit cod piece I made. It still needs some touching up and may be just a prototype. I've been learning lots the past week and hope to get much better along the way.20150904_010430.jpg20150904_010452.jpg20150904_010505.jpg

Also if anyone has questions or tips about foam building feel free to ask or put in your input. I would love to help others as well as learn more! :D

Amazing work Spartan. You do an amazing job keeping tight seem lines on your pieces. I also took the liberty in finding the Defender chest piece you were looking for. It is one of Crmison's works and he does quite a good job of his models. http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=39362&page=18&p=697383&highlight=defender#post697383 Definitely finish what you are doing now before tackling the Defender chest piece. I see great things already from you. Keep up the good work. :D

I'm not experienced with foam, pep is my thing, but your foam work is very clean. This has potential to be an amazing build. Keep up the good work.

I'm not experienced with foam, pep is my thing, but your foam work is very clean. This has potential to be an amazing build. Keep up the good work.
Thanks for the support!!!
Amazing work Spartan. You do an amazing job keeping tight seem lines on your pieces. I also took the liberty in finding the Defender chest piece you were looking for. It is one of Crmison's works and he does quite a good job of his models. http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=39362&page=18&p=697383&highlight=defender#post697383 Definitely finish what you are doing now before tackling the Defender chest piece. I see great things already from you. Keep up the good work. :D
Wow thanks for the link and compliments I really appreciate it! :)
Quite a bit of pics ahead. My helmet process.
IMG-20150906-WA0000.jpeg
20150906_224438.jpgIMG-20150906-WA0004.jpeg
20150907_082005.jpg
20150907_081931.jpg
IMG-20150908-WA0000.jpeg
IMG-20150909-WA0000.jpegIMG-20150909-WA0002.jpegIMG-20150909-WA0004.jpeg20150909_012907.jpg20150909_013007.jpg
Ok guys so I finally finished my helmet. It took a while longer than I thought, but I'm really getting used to the foam building now. I think I'm becoming better with it. I love this helmet btw, it's my first official piece and I am excited to finish the rest of the suit now. I'll be back for more updates, hopefully I'll have the suit done by the Halo 5 release. Would love to wear it to the release haha. Now onto the chest piece! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back