Halo Legends Kelly's Pilot Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddemon159

Red Demon here. Hey. This is my first post. But not my first Pepakura Project. I've put together a bunch of helmets. But none were for me. And I finally found a helmet I really like. It's the Pilot helmet Kelly wore in Halo Legends. And after searching I couldn't believe there is a Pep file of just that helmet. And so I began my own helmet about 4 weeks ago.

After doing measurements and finding out what size I needed. I was surprised the stock measurements in the pep file are perfect for my big head.

KIMG0043_zpsgybvvuyr.jpg

KIMG0045_zpsuydthygz.jpg

After the build I Sealed the inside with masking tape. Got it smooth as I can.

Then I got my hands on some 300 Smooth-Cast. Little did I remember about it. It has a pot life of 3 mins. The first batch of it swelled up in no time. So lesson learned. Mix small amounts. About 2mm deep in the small cups. Stir equal parts for about 20-25 secs, then poor into helmet. And swoosh it around. Be advised to use all forms of protection. Fumes are harmful.

I chose 300 Smooth-Cast cause it's easy to use. But Resin and Bondo are good sources too. But they become too brittle. Even though they become strong, dropping the helmet may require repair. The 300 Smooth cast is a liquid plastic and virtually non toxic after cured. It is also extremely durable. Not Hard like the Resin or Bondo. But has a great quality of bounce and sturdiness.

After a few hours of swooshing around small batches of Smooth Cast and all nice and cured. I cut out the visor for the template I will uses for the Acrylic Plastic. Then I primed the base of the helmet.

KIMG0083_zpsv1kvz9ze.jpg

KIMG0084_zpsers4tnry.jpg

So uhh. Yeah. Vac Form for the Complexity of the visor. No other way will work. Unless you want to cut it into pieces then glue them together. So instead I remade the Pep file Visor. Smooth Cast it. Then installed it. After that I drew a pattern in which I will cut out as a simple box hole I could see through. And made a simple visor out of that.

KIMG0095_zps4jva6v3g.jpg

Did some spray painting. A bit rusty at it. It has been years since the last time I painted bicycles. But anyway. I decided on the Burgundy Red and an Island Splash. I Chose these colors cause they are my signature colors in Halo. All of the halo games. Except Combat Evolved. That one is just solid colors.

KIMG0094_zpsnsolxte4.jpg

KIMG0093_zpsvrsgtmnz.jpg

KIMG0092_zpsqrq2dc4i.jpg

Not bad for my own helmet. I built helmets for friends and it was up to them for finishing it. As they wanted. After pax in Seattle Washington I'm going to start on a full body armor. I haven't decided on it yet. I do like the Hayabusa armor. But I also like the Gungir Armor too.

So what do you guys and gals think? Not bad huh.

Though I notice a few things to not do in future builds. Don't use tape on the outside. If done so. Remove before priming. But then I'm not a perfectionist. So I didn't really care all that much.

Attachments

• KIMG0043_zpsgybvvuyr.jpg
    KIMG0043_zpsgybvvuyr.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 170
  • KIMG0045_zpsuydthygz.jpg
    KIMG0045_zpsuydthygz.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 184
  • KIMG0083_zpsv1kvz9ze.jpg
    KIMG0083_zpsv1kvz9ze.jpg
    325.5 KB · Views: 184
  • KIMG0084_zpsers4tnry.jpg
    KIMG0084_zpsers4tnry.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 182
  • KIMG0095_zps4jva6v3g.jpg
    KIMG0095_zps4jva6v3g.jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 185
  • KIMG0094_zpsnsolxte4.jpg
    KIMG0094_zpsnsolxte4.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 185
  • KIMG0093_zpsvrsgtmnz.jpg
    KIMG0093_zpsvrsgtmnz.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 187
  • KIMG0092_zpsqrq2dc4i.jpg
    KIMG0092_zpsqrq2dc4i.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 172
keep up the good work! if you spend and bit more time and research, that helmet will look badass! it looks great so far!

I could care less for the perfection of smooth edges. Maybe in the future when I have a bigger budget. I'll go all out and make it perfect.

That's not bad work at all, but your comment about your budget has me confused. I'm fairly sure that you'd be able to pick up a decently large tub of bondo for less than $20 or so - RobTC and I have had discussions about this before, I'm sure that a gallon of bondo can be picked up for peanuts, especially when contrasting against the cost of SmoothCast.

Personally, I'd encourage you to take your build as far as you can. Bondo isn't costly, so really it's more a question of your investment of time than anything else.

Either way, I'll say it again: good work.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's not bad work at all, but your comment about your budget has me confused. I'm fairly sure that you'd be able to pick up a decently large tub of bondo for less than $20 or so - RobTC and I have had discussions about this before, I'm sure that a gallon of bondo can be picked up for peanuts, especially when contrasting against the cost of SmoothCast.

Personally, I'd encourage you to take your build as far as you can. Bondo isn't costly, so really it's more a question of your investment of time than anything else.

Either way, I'll say it again: good work.
Yup where I live a gallon of bondo at wal-mart is $15.44.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back