Helmet Interior

Status
Not open for further replies.

OT7OM4N

So I've been working on my prep helmet for a few weeks and have now finished the fibreglassing. Next step it the body filler to get the outside looking on point. However the inside of the helmet is messy after the fibreglassing. I've cleaned it up a bit with the dremel but it's still pretty rough. I know it's not supposed to be the pretty looking part of the build but I'm wanting to get a nice smooth interior before I fit any foam or electronics. It's really attention to detail but I'm trying to get a nice build quality on it all. Any ideas?

IMG_0542.JPG

Cheers.

I honestly wouldn't worry too much about your interior looking pretty - if you're truly concerned about getting things to look smooth you could roll a thin coat of resin or rondo over the interior to close up any stray fibreglass and make it smooth, but that's adding weight to your product that you'll likely regret after a while of wearing it.

My suggestion would be to simply foam over the surface - use a spray-on adhesive and layer on some thin foam panelling, if nothing else, but otherwise, getting your interior to look all smooth and pretty probably isn't really worth the effort you'd expend doing it.

Your work does look nice and clean, though. I do look forward to seeing this project finished! Good luck with your continuing build!

I honestly wouldn't worry too much about your interior looking pretty - if you're truly concerned about getting things to look smooth you could roll a thin coat of resin or rondo over the interior to close up any stray fibreglass and make it smooth, but that's adding weight to your product that you'll likely regret after a while of wearing it.

My suggestion would be to simply foam over the surface - use a spray-on adhesive and layer on some thin foam panelling, if nothing else, but otherwise, getting your interior to look all smooth and pretty probably isn't really worth the effort you'd expend doing it.

Your work does look nice and clean, though. I do look forward to seeing this project finished! Good luck with your continuing build!

Okay thanks, I'll try that. I'm a little worried about some of the air pockets but I'll go easy on the resin! Thanks, I shall keep on posting my updates :)

Okay thanks, I'll try that. I'm a little worried about some of the air pockets but I'll go easy on the resin! Thanks, I shall keep on posting my updates :)

If air pockets are giving you trouble, you can quite easily use a razor blade or other sharp cutting tool to carefully open them up and fill them with a smaller batch of resin. That's far more efficient than an entirely new layer over the top, and it will help you with your bondo work later on down the line.

dude I just used the padding from my old motorcycle helmet to line the interior of my helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back