First Build ODST!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRickoning

I am pretty along on the helmet. I pep it out, did the resin, and rondo. The neck piece was too small so I cut it bigger.

I also used Milliput to sculpt up some problem areas. Still refining and sanding, and applying body filler to get it all smooth and nice.

You can check out the pics below!

I am trying to figure out the armor too. I am looking at the DaFrontLine Troppers youtube tutorial and he kind of glosses over a lot of things. I am looking at the torso piece that the cool bits are build on top of. How should I size it. Measure from my collar to the bottom of the size my of rib cage? That sort of thing.

And if not DFT's ODST, can any one point me to a great posting on this sort of thing! Thanks for any help you guys can give me. I've sue other cool stuff in the past. Mainly Robotech stuff. if you want picks of that stuff let me know.

IMG_1136.jpg

IMG_1135.jpg

IMG_1134.jpg

Thanks!!!

The Rick

Attachments

• IMG_1136.jpg
    IMG_1136.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_1134.jpg
    IMG_1134.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_1135.jpg
    IMG_1135.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 121
Andrew Cook is an awesome prop maker, hope you can finish your ODST armor soon! The helmet's paint looks so good. I love the worn paint effect that you have in it.

I am looking at the torso piece that the cool bits are build on top of. How should I size it. Measure from my collar to the bottom of the size my of rib cage? That sort of thing.
DFT's ODST is an interesting one. Not a design I'd personally use, but it does look good, and is a fairly good way to get into things.

Based on the video, try to measure from your shoulders to about halfway between your armpit and the bottom of the side of your ribs. But you will also need neck width/depth, chest circumference, and the overall "length" of the chest base, due to the fact that it's made from foam sheet. After all, you've got to make sure everything will fit.

DFT's ODST is an interesting one. Not a design I'd personally use, but it does look good, and is a fairly good way to get into things..

Is there a design that you would use? Can you link me to designs that you like? I haven't started on the armor yet, and am trying to find a design I like.

Thanks!

Your Helmet is looking Great btw :)

[/SIZE]

Thanks, its my first Pep. There is a bit of a learning curve to it. Its not totally done yet. I just threw on some spot filler on glaze in those pics. and I still need to finsih the bottom around the neck piece and the back of it. Then need to sculpt the vent framings on the side pieces using milliput. I couldn't get the pep part right, its so small and I didn't have tweezers, so I decided to forego the part and sculpt it myself instead.

I also want to put lights and a fan inside too.

But I have done some Robotech/macross helmets in the past, building on top of an existing helmet and one from scratch, so I at least had resin experience.

As far as the armor is concerned:

My plan is to use DFT's base torso and customize the rest of it. I like these foam peps for the legs, Ilike DFT's shoulders. I think I"ll customize the chest piece to some degree.

Any tips on the visor? I read something about Hugo's visor tutorial. Haven't look it up yet, but is there anything else that I should look at?

and ig there are any ODST build guides other than DFT, please let me know. Knowledge is power, and I'd like to learn from every source I can moving ahead.

Thanks for the input so far!

Here are some more pics o the helmet. Did some sanding and shot some spray paint over to get a better idea d what i am working with.

IMG_1140.jpg

IMG_1139.jpg

IMG_1138.jpg

Its not perfect. I am a bit of a perfectionist and am trying to love it for its imperfections. Gives it character. I am thinking a dark silver of black with silver highlights/weathering. Andy suggestions?

- - - Updated - - -

Here are some more pics o the helmet. Did some sanding and shot some spray paint over to get a better idea d what i am working with.

IMG_1140.jpg

IMG_1139.jpg

IMG_1138.jpg

Its not perfect. I am a bit of a perfectionist and am trying to love it for its imperfections. Gives it character. I am thinking a dark silver of black with silver highlights/weathering. Andy suggestions?

Hey everyone, been busy and am finally back at it. I wanted to switch gears and work on some of the armor. I downloaded the pep for the Halo 3 Shin plate by Chernobyl, modeled by JTM1997 and unfolded by Abaris. I am working on modifying the pep files for Foam.

Can anyone take a look at it and let me know if I did that right? I'll find a place to upload it to, or I can PM you the file.

Let me know! Thanks everyone for the support.

Thanks for the support.

I am making a body form now. I put on some healthy weight since I did my mass effect costume, and the coverall I modified is now pretty form fitting. I am thinking of stuffing that bad boy up and using that as a body form.

My plan is to safety pin up the arms and the lefts, and stuffing up the torso and shape it up a but so its a close proximity to me. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks again!

My first shot at using Foam. I downloaded Bill Doran's book on foamsmithing. He recommends starting with something simple. Like a forearm. So here is my first attempt at it. Gluing it together will take some work. And my template needs some adjusting for movement, but the sizing is good, and I even compensated for the undersuit. Could use some help on bonding the parts together. I only have a gluegun at the moment and as you can see, its not the best. Maybe I dropped in too much. Thoughts and tips are welcome!

IMG_1209.jpg

IMG_1210.jpg

You'll see here where I tried to put it together. The seam is pretty ugly and not as tight as I would like it. But its just a test run anyway to learn, any tips on using a glue gun with Foam. I know everyone loves Barge. I haven't found a place to buy it in my town. I am near Los Angeles.

IMG_1211.jpg

I'm watching you intensely. You literally are steps ahead of me on the same project.

Hey Shwarzwald

What helped me was picking up that book ! mentioned. Foamsmith by BIll Doran. Gives you a lot to think about and consider when designing a costume. After I read that I was more confident to dive into the foam part of the costume.

Where are you at with your costume? Maybe we can share notes and learn from each others mistakes.

Looks great so far. The sanding and bondo phase take a lot of patience. Here are some tips that might help you.

For the resin and bond stage:
Picking up some Bondo body filler and glaze changed my life. I went over my pep 2 times on the out side with resin. And did another 2-3 on the inside. Then I reendo-ed the inside. Once I for the body filler/glazer, I was about to go over it and quickly fill up the trouble spots. Then its rinse and repeat. But the body filler glaze, make things faster for me.

Wet sanding! Changes your world. I got a smoother finish faster than with just straight sanding. So I went with a layer of bondo, then ran over it with a rotary sander with 80 grit. After a few hits with the 80. I would wet sand by hand, 80, 120, 200, 400. I found I got it to where I wanted faster with this method.

Also, there are imperfections and warping. I fixed that my sculpting up from the helmet using Milliput. I used it before on my Robotech light helmet to fix some imperfections in my project. I used Sintra on that one. But with milliput and some decent sculpting tools you can fix parts of it that are not to your liking, instead of trying to scupt it with Bondo which doesn't give you ugh time. Milliput will give you a good about of work time depending on the one you pick up. There is standard yellow, and high quality white. I make due with the standard yellow. You'll see a greenish spots on my helmet, that is where I sculpted some fixes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back