Electronic issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

broodyguitarguy

So since radio shack closed in my area for about 50 miles I need a new source of leds and what not. Does anyone have suggestions other than going online and buying there. Btw this thread is recycled so comments relating to anything other than the title are old and unrelated.

Re: Resin tips for little details?

So the halo 4 helmet has a lot of little detail that I would like to preserve as much as possible so can I go heavier with resin on the inside and a couple light coats on the outside to preserve the little details?
Use only 1 coat on the outside and do fiberglass and resin on the inside. it makes it very strong. resin alone wont give you strngth. if u need specific how to info just ask and ill explain further.

Use only 1 coat on the outside and do fiberglass and resin on the inside. it makes it very strong. resin alone wont give you strngth. if u need specific how to info just ask and ill explain further.

On my last helmet I used fiberglass cloth from the automotive section of Wal-Mart on the inside of the helmet

On my last helmet I used fiberglass cloth from the automotive section of Wal-Mart on the inside of the helmet

that is perfectly fine, cut into 1 inch by 2 in long sections and lay the resin in and fiber glass on top, then take a 1in paintbrush and push the fiberglass into the resin to fully get the resin to absorb into the fiberglass

For the nooks and crannies, I like to use needle files and/or folded sandpaper. Using a sharp razor blade in sharp corners is great as well.

For the nooks and crannies, I like to use needle files and/or folded sandpaper. Using a sharp razor blade in sharp corners is great as well.

Phil has it right - small hand tools are your saviour here. If you want to clean up any pooling and dripping in your work, it's best to do so before it's set - use a dry brush to wipe away any resin that's settling in the cracks and nooks you want preserving.

I'm also going to ask that you stop creating a new thread for every question you have. You have an open, current build thread - use that to ask any questions, rather than generate multiple question threads that bump down other people's work.

I'm also going to ask that you stop creating a new thread for every question you have. You have an open, current build thread - use that to ask any questions, rather than generate multiple question threads that bump down other people's work.

Sorry didn't think about that

Sorry didn't think about that

That's absolutely fine - just try to consolidate all of your stuff to one thread where you can. If you're still having issues, consider PMing somebody who has experience with the questions you're asking, generally they'll be more than happy to help you out.

I found Cereal Kill3r's Youtube videos extremely helpful on the topic!

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I like ebay for led's and resistors... waaay cheaper than radio shack. Most of my led's run about $2-4 per 100 shipped.

Digikey. its VERY overwhelming but if you need a item they are gonna have it /

from 13000 Lumen LEDs to micro SMTs

For electronics, I used Allied Electronics for my fan and resistors, and then Adafruit for LEDs and battery packs. Adafruit is an easier to navigate site and their shipping is super fast (like literally a day), but Allied has everything you could want and is probably cheaper. Both are based in USA.

Both charge way too much for shipping though, like 11 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back