First Pepakura Halo 3 Mark VI Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecanadianderp

So, I've been working diligently on my Mark VI helmet for the past few days now and I have a few questions regarding electronics and fiberglassing. I'm sorry if any of these have been answered before, and if you could please link me to the thread where it's previously been discussed;

When I mentioned to my friend that I was going to need to use Bondo body filler and Fiberglass Resin after building my helmet, she questioned whether or not the helmet would be safe to wear after, in her words, "If that stuff is used for cars, can it really be safe to wear on your head?" obviously, many people have done their armor using bondo and fiberglass resin successfully without any problems, but my friend does have a point there.

Next, I am curious about where to place the helmet fan and what kind of fan would be the best to use in this case - will I have to worry about it getting caught in my hair, ect? Also, should I add the fiberglass cloth before or after installing electronics such as the fan or the LED lights for the sides, and where should the switches be to activate said electronics?

Thank you to everyone in advance!

if you're talking about toxic fumes, it only lasts the time it cures, once cured there's nothing to wworry about.
for the fan I don't know, I've heard there's fans as small as a coin, but I can't give you advices on it.
and lastly I'd rather finish the fiberglass or rondo (bondo+resin) part befor puting electronics.

if you want you can find people who did their builds only with non-toxic materials on this forum

We use fans all the time in our Mando helmets & they can be as small as an inch & a half or up to 3in squirrel cage fans. THe best place I've found to mount them is on the sides of your helmet where your ears would be (this would be the best place for Squirrel cage fans as they are directional) & if there is room, right in your face. Most fans range from 1/4in to 1/2in thick so they don't need alot of space.

You'll find all kinds of fans & other cool stuff here: http://www.allelectronics.com/

Once your helmet dries, its not toxic at all. When you're fiberglassing, make sure you use a respirator, that stuff is really bad when its still in the working phases. If you mix right, it should only take 4-5 hours to cure.

You'll want to do the electronics after you're completely done with the fiberglass and bondo stage, I installed mine after I painted and installed the visor.

I used this fan for my first helmet... I used 2, and they aren't that great, I'll be honest. I'm going to use these ones for my next build and they are a heck of a lot cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back