Tutorial for using DaFrontlineTrooper's ODST Armor templates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barroth

Jr Member
I have had this requested of me by several people and am creating this tutorial to help those using DFT's armor templates for his ODST costume. Please note that I will be using my finished costume as a reference and will not be building another one.

These are the templates I am using for this tutorial:

ODSTAb.jpgODSTChest.jpgODSTChestTop.jpgODSTForearm.jpgODSTPauldron.jpgODSTShin.jpgODSTThigh.jpg

So to start off, I will be doing the shins. For measurement references, I am 6'1".

Here is a picture of one completed shin.

WIN_20150902_15_34_03_Pro.jpg

Looking at the templates, the tall piece that is in the middle is the piece that goes over the front of the leg. The thinnest part at the top should be built as wide as your shin at the widest part plus about 1/4" or however thick your material is. do only one extra width this will allow the shin to angle outward a tiny bit and curve more. The height of this piece should be from a little bit above your shoe to a bit below your knee roughly 1/8" from each. The angled part on the bottom of this piece is about a 1/4 of the length of the height of the piece from the bottom. This is about 5/4 the size of the top width. so if the top width is 4 inches as mine is, the bottom should be 5 inches.

The side pieces should be as wide as your calf from front to back about halfway up your shin. This becomes the width of the side pieces for the entire curved section. The curve is a shallow curve, displacing about an inch total for me. A good rule for this curve is it should be able to touch your knee, touch your shin at about the middle and curve back out to be about 1/2 to 1 inch away from your shin at the base (where it meets your foot). The upper portion that is wider is somewhere between 1 and 1.5 inches wider than the rest of the curve where it bends back in. This point is about 1/4 of the way down from the top. This top section is about 1/2 an inch wider than the curved section.The bottom part is about 1.5 inches longer than the piece that goes over the front of your shin. This should cover the sides of your ankles.

The side detail pieces share the bottom rear side with the back curve (the one at the back of your leg) to be about 1/3 to 1/2 way down the side portion. the forward curve is about 1/2 an inch from the front of the side pieces. The rear edge of these pieces is about 1/4 of an inch from the back of the extended portion.

The detail portion on the front of the shin is from an inch below the top of the front shin piece to about halfway down. The cutout is centered, 1/4 of the width of the piece, and goes to about an inch down from the top.

I don't now if this is different than DFT's build but when you assemble the shin portion, the side panels get mounted behind the front piece.

The buckle and the small piece that connects the knee to the shin are self explanatory. (Just follow DFT's tutorial).

The front section of the knee should be the size of your knee if you want it like mine or slightly smaller. The side panels extend to cover about half of your upper leg. The top panel for me was about 1.5 to 2 inches tall and 2 to 2.5 inches wide.

Any of these dimensions can be changed to better fit your liking. I personally feel that I built my shins a little too tall.

Please use DFT's video tutorial to help with the assembly portion.

This tutorial is created with the permission of DaFrontlineTrooper.

Looking good so far...I have DFT's templates as well & I noticed that one seems to be missing on his FB page...it's the Template for the ab pieces, I was able to pull a screen shot off his tutorial vid for those parts, but it's not nearly as clear as these ones

I apologize for the long time span between this post and the last one. I had to deal with school for a bit.

Moving up the leg we get the thigh armor. I may have sized it a bit off, but it does not impede my motion at this size.

WIN_20151018_20_15_36_Pro.jpg

This section of the armor will wrap around half of your leg my width was between 10 and 12 inches if I recall correctly. The height is dependent on hiw much you want to cover, though keep in mind the larger it is the better it looks but there comes a point where it starts to impede your motion. The top of the curve should rest at about the opening of your pocket if your pants are allowed to sit as they do normally. For me I chose to have the bottom of the plate rest about 2-3 inches above my knee allowing for a balance of looks and mobility (I care about this because I use it in Humans versus Zombies) but this distance is up to you. My total distance came out to be about 13 to 15 inches. The straps are as shown here:

WIN_20151018_20_15_45_Pro.jpg

One wraps around the leg as the thigh curves back into the knee and the other sits just above where the legs split off from the groin area. The third strapp extends from the top of the plate and wraps around the belt to help hold the plate up without the need for constant adjustment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back