CIO Helmet up for Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoopleStick

Hello 405th Members!

I've been working on a CIO helmet just for fun, but sadly, I can't work on it during the school year when I move out into an apartment. I'm leaving this here so I can get any suggestions or comments to mull over for when I get back in December.

Here is the original Pep'd helmet with a waaay too small version behind it. It was a good lesson...

IMG_0206.jpg

After fiberglassing, I tested out some pads for my face, and it works, I guess...
IMG_0213.jpg

After a looooot of shaping, I put on a layer of primer to see the imperfections a little better.
IMG_0214.jpg

The front. The unicorn's horn on the front is a little crooked, but I think I can fix it.
IMG_0220.jpg

The right side light hole was waaaay dented in so I decided to use my artistic license to make it like a Boba Fett dent.
IMG_0221.jpg

I've hacked the back off to make it fit my head like Legacy did for this video: https://youtu.be/RR8UAa1mZhM?t=1m52s
Gotta get those realistic proportions! (I've seen too many times on 405th the dreaded "flat sandwich spartan helmet" because the user cannot fit their head through the neck seal, thus stretching it outwards and downwards)

They pull the back hatch off a little differently, but I think the whole flap idea is a little more sound. My plan is to put a hinge right on the top, line the edge with a rubber seal and attach clasps to keep it shut. Any thoughts on this specifically would be helpful.
IMG_0223.jpg

IMG_0224.jpgIMG_0226.jpgIMG_0227.jpg

Update: I've attached the back half, I'd say it was a successful day. Now I just need to find a rubber seal. The clasps will find their way, I have a plan.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0230.jpg
    IMG_0230.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 322
  • IMG_0234.jpg
    IMG_0234.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 323
IMG_0236.jpgAs one last final push, I got the front half completely painted. The masking tape pulled some off, so touch-ups are required, but that'll have to wait until December. Anyway, I'm going to do some wet sanding and then a clear coat to let it cure for a loooong while.

On another note, I put a hole in the back for the light switch.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0235.jpg
    IMG_0235.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0238.jpg
    IMG_0238.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 368
I'm going to put lenses lined with LED's to make them light up. Hopefully with some cloth tape, I can still see without blinding myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back